Student Visa required for Canadian student in USA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Guitar Hero

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering, as a Canadian student going into a residency in the USA in 2009...

What do we need? Are we required to get a student visa? which one?

And also, where can we get these required things?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been advised to seek a TN Visa because the Dental Profession is part of NAFTA.

Members don't see this ad :)
To my best knowledge, Residencies come under H1(temp skilled worker) or J1 (exchange scholar) visa. Student visa is F1 and I dont think one does residency on that. You are better off contacting the International Student Office of your university or HR of the hospital where your residency is from.

In both cases, H1 or J1 as a Canadian you don't need a visa from a consular section. Actually you qualify for TN as a dentist. Just take all you documents from the residency program and present you self at a point of entry to the USA. The immigration officer will stamp you the right status directly into the passport. You just have to prove that you will leave USA after your residency is over. For more information check http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/exceptions.asp
or even if you live somewhere close to a border go there and just ask them. I did the same last year. Just took a trip from Montreal to the Champlain point of entry and the people there were quite nice to provide me with the information I needed.
Good luck