Students accepted to Florida Pharmacy Schools

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by RSX JDM Integra, Mar 21, 2007.

1. RSX JDM Integra

RSX JDM Integra DMD c/o 2019
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Just had a few questions that I wanted to throw out there for those of you who attend an accredited Florida Pharmacy school (or even if you aren't).

I am currently finishing up Organic Chemistry II which is the last of my pre-requisites for entering Pharmacy school. However, I did not do so well in Organic Chemistry I which will be the cause why I have to retake it.

My current GPA is about a 3.0 and my science GPA is at a 2.9. After I retake Organic Chemistry I and use forgiveness, it should change.

My question is, do you guys think I will have a chance to get into Pharmacy school the pre-requisites done and other classes done (Microbiology, Biochemistry, Physics, Anatomy ect.) Or should will it be hard without a B.S / B.A degree?

I'm worried about my GPA status being that it is not too competitive. However, I really would like to be accepted to a Pharmacy school if I could as soon as possible. I also still need to take the PCATs.

Just really wondering if anyone out there with around a 3.0 GPA that got into a Pharmacy school without their B.A / B.S degree. However, I do have letters of recommendations from working at Hospitals in different areas of the hospital. I did shadow a Pharmacist too and could get a letter of recommendation from him.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. babyvi3thonnie

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    you'll still got a chance...just study really hard for your pcat.....if you can get in a 90th percentile then i think that'll give you a competitive edge...just apply to as many school as you can afford or want to attend....hey it took me a second yr to get in but i finally did...and make sure you have pharmacy experience!!

my stat is not so great either:
    overall gpa 3.3
    science gpa 3.1
    pcat 80
    only a few months of pharmacy volunteer
    but i do have my bs and been working with direct client contac with my job as a nutrition educator...but i know people who got in without a bs

4. Louisiana Girl

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    babyvi3thonnie which school did you get into and were you a resident because I was thinking about applying to UOF, but is it hard to get into if you are from out of state?

5. RSX JDM Integra

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    cam on nhieu :)

oh and by the way, what did you do during your year of re-applying? did you take more classes or volunteer / work more?

and yeah, are you going to school in state? primarily NSU, UF, PBA or FAMU?

6. babyvi3thonnie

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I graduated from UF in 2006 with a BS in Nutrition Science so I just put my degree to use and worked for the State...it helps alot b/c i have direct client contact and interviewers seem to like that...and i definitely study harder for the pcat...i got accepted into lecom bradenton,fl but i'm still waiting for my uf interview next fri

uf is a public school so they take fl residents more but i think they do take out of state....check with the individual school to be sure!!

7. RSX JDM Integra

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'll definitely keep that in mind. I plan on graduating with a Biological Sciences degree. Hopefully my GPA will be decent enough to get into UF or NSU.

Good luck with your interview.

8. jvillepharmd

2+ Year Member

I just got an interview request at the Jacksonville Campus of the University of Florida. Should I even believe I have a chance at being accepted?
    My friends have told me that the interview is kind of an inconvience to UF, so they said that if u have an interview u basically got in, unless u really screw the interview up.

9. RSX JDM Integra

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    The campus and school interviews you for a reason, they don't just interview you just to waste your time and theirs. They seen your transcript and your letters of recommendations, ect. And they just want to see the type of person you say you are from the essays and letters. They want to see if you are a well-rounded individual who does not flatter themselves.

You should be fine, I would treat this interview as serious as possible and I would like to wish you the best of luck.

10. jvillepharmd

2+ Year Member

I guess I just can't wait for the acceptance letter.:D

I try not to think about it, but just the thought of finally starting professional school gets me all excited.:)

UF Jax campus would be really ideal for me since I live in the Jax area.
    Plus, I didn't think they would give me my first choice.

11. PharmDJH

PharmDJH Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    You'll do fine just relax an answer the questions to your best of knowledge. I had an interview with UF orlando campus on march 2nd really relaxed and layed back. Good Luck

12. RSX JDM Integra

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    My real concern is if retaking O-Chem I will make an impact on whether I get into a Pharmacy school or not.

Has anybody retaken any Chemistry courses and gotten into Pharm school with around a 3.0-3.2 average with upper 80 to 90s on the PCAT?

13. tricia

tricia Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I retook Gen Chem 2, have a gpa about 3.3 (lower for uf cause they calculate it differently) and a pcat of 90. i got into lecom bradenton

14. jmkraus

jmkraus New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    its ok to retake a few classes if you have to. you just want to make sure that you show improvement the second time around. I had to withdraw from gen chem 1 and orgo 1, but I managed to make As the next time and save my gpa. They realize that everyone isnt going to sail through the prereqs with a 4.0 gpa. it's more important for them to see that you were able to learn from your mistakes as an undergraduate and can adapt to whatever they throw at you in pharm school. as long as you are above a 3.0 and youve got a decent pcat score, they are going to look at your app. at that point, i think one of the most important things to consider is if you have pharmacy work experience and rec. letter from a pharmacist because that separates the people that really want this from the others.

15. RSX JDM Integra

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    that is exactly what I wanted to hear. I wish I withdrew from Organic Chem I, but I was doing fine until the 3rd test. The 3rd test made me or failed me and it failed me as far as I was concerned. This time around I want to get atleast a B.

16. RSX JDM Integra

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Oh, I almost forgot!

Does it matter if you retake the PCAT for the 3rd time? I haven't taken it at all yet but I was just curious, if you made multiple attempts, will that also lessen your chance to get into Pharmacy school if your 3rd time around is in the high 80s low 90s?

17. TheKoz

2+ Year Member

It all say that you are a hard worker and willing to put more effort into advancing. then again, it could goes the opposite way

18. abt04

abt04 member
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    just to give you hope, i started off with a university science gpa of like 1.7 (i was a history/econ major and i screwed up my first year of college). but after i graduated, i went back to CC and retook the classes with As and Bs and pulled up my science gpa to a 3.25. my pcats werent great cuz im horrible at reading comprehension so i got a 72. also i am from out of state, and they only take like at most 20% from out of state. im going to Nova in fall 2007

19. jmkraus

jmkraus New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    most schools will only use your highest pcat score in their evaluation, but they will see all of your scores. its not bad to take it two or three times to improve your score because that will show that you are determined to do well. the thing you have to be careful of is getting like a 75 the first time around and then retaking and getting a 65. the schools will only use your 75, but now it wont look so good anymore since you retook it and scored worse the second time.

20. RSX JDM Integra

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    thanks, I can see it that way too. it does make you look like you are trying and not giving up.
    yeah that gives me hope. but when you retook the courses, were they courses that you got below a C in? I mean my science GPA is a 2.9 now and if I retook courses that I got Cs in, it wouldnt negate the previous grade, they both would be averaged in and I can't see how it will be pulled up to as high as yours :(
    I cant imagine scoring lower than the previous time. I mean is it more than 50-50 possible to occur? because I know if its like the SATS then its less likely to happen. usually itll increase as you take it more and more.

21. ladiejay187

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

I have a 3.2 GPA as a UF undergrad and a 91 PCAt and I got in to UF COP

22. stylerprodigy

stylerprodigy Gator Pharmacy Student
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Just wondering what is your UF pre-req GPA calculated from the courses listed on their site? Thanks!

23. G8rDan

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What did you major in as an undergrad?

Also, maybe you'll know, who is the easiest orgo teacher at UF?;)

24. abt04

abt04 member
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    well. the classes i only took before retaking i got all C-'s. if you get few Bs and As and no Cs in the retakes, believe me, it can go up a lot becuase you didnt take too many science classes did u? and to show that your gpa can go up. my overall gpa was only a 2.98 and when i retook the science classes (about 40 units) it boosted my overall gpa to 3.19 (in which i already had about 190 units from my major and everything.) so retaking and getting mostly As and Bs makes a difference. why dont you calculate it out and see how it could help you.
    for pcats, it wouldnt look good if you did worse int he second time. i took it twice and got both 72. the intervieweer at nova asked if i didnt study or something, in which i really didnt.

any other questions, feel free to ask.

25. RSX JDM Integra

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    science credits i have quite a few due to the fact that i changed majors.
    i have 3 from astronomy
    3 from life science
    8 from General Biology
    7 from Anatomy and Physiology
    8 General Chem
    10 General Physics
    3 from Organic CHemistry (minus labs)
    3 from College Algebra
    3 from Statistics

i got a C+ in a 1 credit lab. C+ in physics (4 credit), C in physics II (4 credits), C in Gen Chem II (3 credits), and D+ o-chem I ( 3 credits)

thats as bad as i see it. if i use forgiveness at my school, they say that the D+ for o-chem will not count toward the GPA and the replacement grade will go into the GPA. after that, my calculation says it will pull my GPA from 2.90 to nearly a 3.0 with a B in the course