Students at LECOM-Erie - Question on Rotations!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jezzielin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Very curious about how the order of rotations work for LECOM-Erie. I looked on the website and it says:

"During the second year the class is broken down into 13 clinical rotation groups of equivalent size (class size/ 13). Each group then chooses a group number (1 through 13) that has been assigned a schedule of their upcoming third and fourth year. Historically, each class has self-selected their group composition and group rotation number."

This is very confusing to me. Does this mean each of the 13 groups has a different order of rotations? And if so, does that mean the ENTIRE group has to come to a consensus about it? I was hoping I could chose my own rotations. Can anyone clarify how they got their rotation schedule?

Also this was posted:

Third Year Rotations
Internal Medicine I, II, III
General Surgery I, II
Obstetrics/Gynecology
Family Medicine
Pediatrics
Core Selective
Elective I, II
Psychiatry/Behavioral Health
Vacation (4 weeks)

Fourth Year Rotations
Emergency Medicine I, II
Medicine Selective
Primary Care Selective
Surgery Selective
Ambulatory Medicine I, II
Rural/Underserved Ambulatory Medicine
Elective I, II, III, IV
Vacation (4 weeks)

Must these be the rotations for 3rd and 4th year or can they be switched between the two?

Thanks so much! :D

Members don't see this ad.

The third year is mostly what the schedule says. There are a few you get to pick on your own, but Dr. Ferretti will assign as many as he has spots for. He has no idea how many that will be yet. The fourth year, however, is basically pick your own. The amb. and ER you have to do, pretty much everything else is elective. BTW, this is for both LECOMs, since they decided to do the rotations for my class (going into second year now) as one group, instead of individual schools. We'll see how that goes, but that's a whole other discussion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jezzilin, you asked "Must these be the rotations for 3rd and 4th year or can they be switched between the two?"

Obviously, you haven't started at Lecom yet... ;) Switching rotations is absolutely NOT allowed. Once you select which group you are in, there is almost never a case in which they will allow you to change your order of rotation. Don't get me wrong. After 4 years, I still love Lecom. I think that they prepared me well for residency (or maybe I prepared myself well, I can't figure it out!) However, flexibility is not one of the administration's virtues. If you are OK with that, then Lecom is pretty easy to take.

Good luck :luck:

Jezzielin said:
Very curious about how the order of rotations work for LECOM-Erie. I looked on the website and it says:

"
This is very confusing to me. Does this mean each of the 13 groups has a different order of rotations? And if so, does that mean the ENTIRE group has to come to a consensus about it? I was hoping I could chose my own rotations. Can anyone clarify how they got their rotation schedule?
Yes, look at the link above someone else posted. So each of the 13 groups has a different order of rotation because you cannot have 250 students rotating in one specialty at one time. During 2nd year you put in your wish list of your top 3 choices for the rotation group you want. Some people wanted to get married so they wanted their vacation month in a certain slot, I knew I wanted to travel the summer months so I chose by what rotations I knew I could get where I was travelling, etc. So in 2nd year for me I chose for my top 3 groups 3,4,or 5. The rotation committee looks at all the wish lists of all the students and tries to form equal groups and make everyone happy. So out of my top 3, I got group 5. I have remained in group 5 for the past 2 years and that has been the order of my rotations. You cannot change the subject of that rotation slot but you really set up your own rotations wherever you want to go to fulfill that requirement.

Bear in mind there are cetain LECOM affiliate sites that have to be filled by one student from each group for that rotation. That's where the group has to agree on who will fulfill that site requirement. Usually the person who goes, volunteers for that rotation since they don't plan to go into that field. That frees someone else up in the group to go where they would like to be seen for residency programs. For instance, Millcreek in Erie always has to have someone there for ER in 4th year. SO if someone in the group doesn't care where they do ER, that person goes to Millcreek so the person who wants to do ER for their specialty can go to Pitt, or Cleveland, or NYC, or LA or wherever they want to to try to be seen for that residency program. THe other 11 people in the group will do their ER somewhere else too.

Bottom line. You will most likely get 90% of the rotations you want, where you want. But you will have to work with the group to fill one of the required spots so some else has the chance to do their dream rotation elsewhere. It all works out.

I hope that's more clear.

Did you get into LECOM? If so, congrats!