Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Students of Color at Touro-NY? (If not...please apply!!)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by milly1190, Feb 23, 2007.

  1. milly1190

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2007
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    Who are the students of color that are applying or have been accepted to Touro-NY? I think if Touro-NY admission is truly intent on serving the community, diversity has to be a large part of the recruitment process. Sure anyone can become a doctor or serve disenfranchised communities, but it I think it is especially important to train doctors that are underrepresented in medicine or come from the very same underserved communities that school wishes to serve.

    With that said...who are the students of color that have applied or have been accepted to Touro-NY? Also, if you are a person of color and have not applied...WHY NOT? The fact that you are diverse is your greatest strength and I'm sure you are exactly what Touro-NY is looking for. So far it seems many (of course not all) Touro-NY interviewees have been accepted, so if you are undecided why not throw in an app??? If you get an interview...I personally feel your chances are good. From everything I've gathered...even if someone has a low MCAT, the school might overlook that...what more could you ask for (for those of you who have strong stats AND those who do not) than a blind interview?
     
  2. Dr JPH

    Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2000
    Messages:
    5,910
    Likes Received:
    36
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Agreed.

    :thumbup:
     
  3. Dr.Inviz

    Dr.Inviz Membership Revoked
    Removed

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2006
    Messages:
    2,422
    Likes Received:
    1
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    I don't think it should matter one way or the other.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. HunterGatherer

    HunterGatherer HunterGatherer
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2005
    Messages:
    2,586
    Likes Received:
    16
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    Touro showing up late on the application will make them lose some of the students they are looking for this year but I think as years go on Touro-NY will do well. You'll be fine this year as well. Especially if the student and faculty get together and get the word out to MAPS chapters, college premed clubs, open houses, etc. With City College nearby and the many CUNY, SUNY, and other schools in NY/NJ area I'm sure they will be able to attract the students they want especially with no in-state preference. ;)

    :luck:
     
  5. DropkickMurphy

    DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2005
    Messages:
    9,768
    Likes Received:
    21
    Status:
    Other Health Professions Student
    I think that some of the URMs on here with good GPAs and MCAT scores might take issue with that.......
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. bth7

    bth7 It's worth it in the end . . .
    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2004
    Messages:
    1,119
    Likes Received:
    2
    Status:
    Fellow [Any Field]

    Right on. :) :thumbup:
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Kuba

    Physician 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2006
    Messages:
    3,015
    Likes Received:
    11
    MDApps:
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    why? I tend to agree that diversity(not just the obvious kind, either) can be the greatest strength for an applicant. I would want to attend a school with a lot of diversity.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. DropkickMurphy

    DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2005
    Messages:
    9,768
    Likes Received:
    21
    Status:
    Other Health Professions Student
    Well, I know that a couple of my friends who are applying hate that people assume they will get in because they are "diverse" (pronounced: black and Hispanic). But I do agree that diversity is a good thing, but given the title of this thread we can draw the conclusion that the OP wasn't speaking to any form of it other than race.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Kuba

    Physician 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2006
    Messages:
    3,015
    Likes Received:
    11
    MDApps:
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    I understand what you meant. And I agree with you. But I don't think saying that "diversity is an applicant's greatest strength" is the same thing as saying that " a colored applicant will only get in because they are colored.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Dr.Inviz

    Dr.Inviz Membership Revoked
    Removed

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2006
    Messages:
    2,422
    Likes Received:
    1
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    Then what is it saying? To say that a school values diversity in its applicants is different from what is being implied by the OP ...

    IMO, it's an inherent disguise ...
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. confL

    confL TouroCOM-NY Class 2011
    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    May 8, 2006
    Messages:
    41
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Medical Student
    I think people should def apply to the school, but if their mcats are below a certain point Touro will ask the person to retake the MCAT they won't overlook it... if you've seen other boards. They def are trying to make it more racially diverse, but to be honest my interview group was mostly white, so this is definately not a minority centered program
     
  12. Fistibun

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2006
    Messages:
    42
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Medical Student
    Black/Hispanic with a 35R MCAT here...just sent in my app. Awesome. I held off on it because of the $200 fee, but I folded. I haven't gotten much love from other schools, maybe I got a shot at this one (NOT being facetious).
     
  13. HunterGatherer

    HunterGatherer HunterGatherer
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2005
    Messages:
    2,586
    Likes Received:
    16
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    everyone has their own triggers but, I don't see anything inflamatory here. It is up to the individual to decide.
     
  14. arsenewenger

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2006
    Messages:
    692
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Post Doc
    who told you that the absence of a black person on campus diminishes the diversity of that college. u need to earn the right to be accepted!There is more to diversity than your skin color. You need to start using you brain cos your skin color will not always pull you through in life. And if you are a female, i hope you are not thinking of prostituting your way thru med school. If that is your plan... i wish your honey pot the best of luck!


    Not really! Not everyone can become a doctor. You have no idea what it takes to be doctor.If it was easy, everybody will do it.

    Why should they apply, if they screwed around in college with less than stellar grades, and cannot even remember the difference between a cartilage and a bone. Of course, medicine is not all about grades but at the same time adcomms can't just allow every dick and harry into med school because they are black and misguided!

    Diversity alone will not get you through Medical school. Diversity is just one part of it and not the biggest part of the process.

    So far it seems many (of course not all) Touro-NY interviewees have been accepted, so if you are undecided why not throw in an app??? If you get an interview...I personally feel your chances are good.[/quote]

    Are you a psychic or what? are you just trying to make yourself feel good cos it seems you have no idea what hard work, discipline and sense of purpose entails! Medical school is no body's right. Even if your mother is the director of admissions, your fathe the Dean of diversity affair and you are the blackest person in Harlem, you still must pay your dues.

    you make statements without supporting them with evidence(s)... how are you going to make it past AAMC's ridiculously hard VR section? well you can always be a chiropractor!
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. OP
    OP
    milly1190

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2007
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    who told you that the absence of a black person on campus diminishes the diversity of that college. u need to earn the right to be accepted!There is more to diversity than your skin color. You need to start using you brain cos your skin color will not always pull you through in life. And if you are a female, i hope you are not thinking of prostituting your way thru med school. If that is your plan... i wish your honey pot the best of luck!

    I would really feel uncomfortable if I attended a school that was all white. I don't care if you voluteered one summer the in city and think you're down with URM...not the same thing. Hmm...also, so are you trying to say that students who are black don't earn their right into a college and don't use their brains? Sorry buddy...but your comments aren't so cool. And what's up with the 'prostituting' comment? As a female I find everything you said very problematic and sexist. I'm going to assume you are a male....and probably not a person of color? And if you are an URM...you're totally a sell out.


    Not really! Not everyone can become a doctor. You have no idea what it takes to be doctor.If it was easy, everybody will do it.

    As a person of color with relatives that are in radiology, derm, surgery, and peds (both DOs and MDS)...I think I have a little sense of what it takes to be a doctor. What I do know is this: As a person of color it is an uphilll battle..whether your have the stats or do not. Medicine is still a very white field and people of color are severely underrepresented. That's a FACT. I could go on about race and privilege in the U.S., but I don't think that's a conversation you could handle...

    Why should they apply, if they screwed around in college with less than stellar grades, and cannot even remember the difference between a cartilage and a bone. Of course, medicine is not all about grades but at the same time adcomms can't just allow every dick and harry into med school because they are black and misguided!

    Again...who said anything about 'screwing around in college'? Black and misguided? Yo brother...that is some wack stuff...you outta really check yourself. What's really sad is that (unfortunately) a lot of students that apply to DO programs have lower stats. So I'm guessing you couldn't get into an MD program? What's your excuse? Why are you 'misguided'?

    Diversity alone will not get you through Medical school. Diversity is just one part of it and not the biggest part of the process.

    Are you a psychic or what? are you just trying to make yourself feel good cos it seems you have no idea what hard work, discipline and sense of purpose entails! Medical school is no body's right. Even if your mother is the director of admissions, your fathe the Dean of diversity affair and you are the blackest person in Harlem, you still must pay your dues.

    Blackest person in Harlem? Again...you should rally check yourself. But here is where I will kinda agree with you. No...diversity will not get your through med school. However, being diverse and having the desire to go back and serve your community will. But again...I'm not sure what your point is with all this talk about pops being the dean of diversity etc. Don't tell me you are someone who thinks people of color get in b/c they have connections. Check your facts cause it's important that everyone on this thread is properly informed. 1)The very few people of color that enter grad school is far less than white students 2)If you want to talk about 'connections' speak to an college about their programs. If anyone is benefiting from knowing people in admissions...it's not the URM. If you're smart you can figure out who does...

    you make statements without supporting them with evidence(s)... how are you going to make it past AAMC's ridiculously hard VR section? well you can always be a chiropractor![/quote]

    Again...another ignorant comment. First off, I have no problem with chiropractors. Like OMM...it's an additional form of treating a patient. If it works for people than who am I to say that it's an inferior field. What I do have a problem with is that you are making some very racially igonorant commments. It's important for this thread to remain open because I feel we can all learn a lot from each other.

    Let me start with this: Like many people on this site, I'm really interested in DO programs, but why do you assume that I don't have a strong ap or can't get into/haven't applied to MD programs? I'm guessing cause maybe I'm "black"...or in your words screwed around in college?

    FYI. Science 3.6 ovearall 3.8, and MCAT? 33...(btw 11 on the verbal). You wanna share your stats...cause obviously you're not the blackest person in harlem? :cool:

    ~Peace and Love~
     
  16. wally223

    wally223 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2006
    Messages:
    14
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    Again...another ignorant comment. First off, I have no problem with chiropractors. Like OMM...it's an additional form of treating a patient. If it works for people than who am I to say that it's an inferior field. What I do have a problem with is that you are making some very racially igonorant commments. It's important for this thread to remain open because I feel we can all learn a lot from each other.

    Let me start with this: Like many people on this site, I'm really interested in DO programs, but why do you assume that I don't have a strong ap or can't get into/haven't applied to MD programs? I'm guessing cause maybe I'm "black"...or in your words screwed around in college?

    FYI. Science 3.6 ovearall 3.8, and MCAT? 33...(btw 11 on the verbal). You wanna share your stats...cause obviously you're not the blackest person in harlem? :cool:

    ~Peace and Love~[/QUOTE]


    Wow. Right on sista! Where I come...that's called getting served. Mad props to you! :thumbup:
     
  17. hps2103

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2007
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    Great thread. Probably one of the more interesting ones I've seen on this site.

    I don't think the sista is trying to say that diversity is the only thing that ought to let someone into med school. And yes having worked in admissions...I can go on about how more focus needs to be placed on recruiting URMs.

    Finally, I agree that if I end up going to school in Harlem with no URMs, I'd probably feel mad uncomfortable as well. Yo...THE SCHOOL IS IN HARLEM!
     
  18. Dr JPH

    Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2000
    Messages:
    5,910
    Likes Received:
    36
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    With all due respect, as a white male I am in the most difficult group (percentage wise) in gaining acceptance to medical school.

    The largest group applying to medical school are white males. Many schools make a conscious effort to diversify their class during the admissions process. URM groups are in the minority as far as number of people applying, and are also in the minority in number of people being accepted and matriculating. However, an URM stands a better chance of getting accepted to medical school than a white male with similar numbers. 1 in 4 URMs will be accepted where 1 in 20 white males will be accepted.

    milly1190 you had me with your first inspirational statement, but youre starting to lose me with some of your comments since
     
  19. hps2103

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2007
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    I'm a person of color...although I'm not an URM. I personally do not take offensive to this thread at all. If I was accepted because my race was a factor in the process than great. I believe my racial and cultural identity is one of my greatest strengths. I'm on the side of the fence that believes racial diversity (in addition to class, gender, GLBT) SHOULD play a big role in the admission process. But for me race (especially recruiting URMs) is super important.
     
  20. EastWestN2grt

    EastWestN2grt White Coat, Raised Fist!!
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2005
    Messages:
    375
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    Hispanic. Lots of clinical work with underrepresented groups in Los Angeles , and Mexico including organizing health clinics in some of the poorest areas of Tijuana. Through these health Fairs, my group has treated close to 1000 patients.

    Just accepted to Tourocom yesterday! My deposit will be in the mail manana.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  21. EastWestN2grt

    EastWestN2grt White Coat, Raised Fist!!
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2005
    Messages:
    375
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    PHazelton, With all due respect, in a profession with less than 10% total URiMs practicing medicine it is still a very unequal playing field. So it is VERY difficult for me to feel anything other than satisfaction at your remark that "white males" have the most difficult time (percentage wise) gaining acceptance into medical school. White males have traditionally, and truthfully, still have the power in medical school and have been the ones who have propagated the inequality + injustice so prevalent in medical school. Milly 1190 is speaking the truth, and for many the truth is to hard to accept. Its easier to shrug off comments like this as being radical or extreme. For some of us going to medical school, including myself, I plan on using my position to bring awareness and advocacy to what I see as a continuing injustice.

    BTW, your comment does not take into consideration the lifelong difficulty of many URiMs trying to get into medical school. The extreme leakage of potential URiM med students from elem to college has been well documented, most recently by UCSF med school. Difficulty getting into the gate does not compare to the difficulty and often insurmountable path to the gate.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  22. Fistibun

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2006
    Messages:
    42
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Medical Student
    Yeah, this is a great thread and it actually made me feel better about having parted with $200 to apply to Touro. I think this arsenwenger's post speaks somewhat to my situation.

    I'm a black hispanic from South America (URM?) who's fluent in 3 languages (incl. English), native Spanish speaker, screwed up during college because of enormous financial turmoil, stayed an extra year and got on the Dean's List while taking the highest level science courses, then scored a 35R (12P 12V 11B) on the MCAT on my very first try (I scored a 26 on a full length practice without ever having seen the test, then studied my butt off for 3 months).

    Are you saying that somebody like me shouldn't be encouraged to apply?? It's been difficult trying to convince adcoms that the bad grades weren't entirely my fault but I think it's fairly difficult to argue that I should find another profession.

    On the other hand, I have a friend who is in NYU med who had absolutely STELLAR grades (3.87) with two majors in undergrad. He barely scored a 30 on the MCAT, was accepted, and he's struggling all throughout med school. He even failed some classes and had to retake them after begging the faculty to let him stay. What I'm getting at is that this guy worked hard to get into med school, but he wasn't necessarily meant to be a physician.

    The argument goes both ways. Thus, everyone should be encouraged to apply and plead their case to the Adcoms.

    To Arsenwenger: She didn't tell people who had screwed up during college to apply, she told URMs and people of color in the application process to apply. There is a difference. Maybe we read a different post.
     
  23. t-funk

    t-funk The Road Less Traveled
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2006
    Messages:
    1,217
    Likes Received:
    1
    MDApps:
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    JPHazelton, with all due respect, I was wondering if you could tell me where you got those numbers. I know that, overall, approximately 40% of all medical school applicants will be accepted to a medical school. It is just very difficult for me to believe that, only 1 out of 20 white males will be accepted to a medical school. I'm guessing that this statistic is probably not an overall number but rather a school specific number. Maybe white males, in general, have more money and are able to apply to more schools than the average URM and they apply to more reach schools. However, one way or another, it sounds very convoluted.

    On a side note, I really do believe that other life experiences should come into play, not just numbers, in the admissions game. Oftentimes, people from different types of backgrounds including say, an inner city, have some really great perspective on what is really important to the average, and not elite educated, American. In my opinion, this is important. Congratulations to all who are going to Touro. I love hearing stories about people who really want to serve the underserved and thanks for bringing this up milly, it really is an important issue.

    Much love
     
  24. hps2103

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2007
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    TOTALLY AGREE

    1890: % of Physicians in U.S. that were Black = 0.6%
    Late 90's (1997): % of Physicians in U.S. that were Black = 3.6%

    Haven't really gone too far considering...IT'S BEEN OVER 100 YEARS!!

    PHazelton, you should really read up on some critical race theory (and maybe some bell hooks). I don't really have much sympathy for white (especially male) students that are disheartened by milly1190's opinions. I'm a social worker and have seen inequality in the NYC school system. The key here is access to education. Or as was stated...the "often insurmountable path to the gate."

    :thumbup: EastWestN2grt!! I'm totally psyched you're going to be part of the first TOURO-NY class. Congrats!
     
  25. Dr.Inviz

    Dr.Inviz Membership Revoked
    Removed

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2006
    Messages:
    2,422
    Likes Received:
    1
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    I would have assumed Tu-NY would have attracted a great number of blacks/hispanics due to the area in which the school is located. If it hasn't, then I don't think we can fault the "URM reps" who are attempting to recruit. I would say blame the school in general for opening up applications for admissions really late, and the $200 secondary fee. I am sure we will all agree, that relatively speaking, there are not that many URM applicants vs the pre-dominated white and asian applicants. Many of those URMs may have likely attained in acceptance elsewhere and may not be able to afford the $200. I know that was a huge turn-off for me. There are also URMs that will apply, but understandably, the proportion of those who will apply to NY will also be much lower. It's simply reality. I imagine if the school opened up in 08, there would be more URM applicants.

    In addition to the variety of factors that may be involved in it being difficult for a URM to get into medical school, I'd also have to say that if you are an asian/indian male, it is also quite rough to get into med school due to the fact that we get lumped in with the "white category." Not only are we not white, but we aren't considered minorities. In addition, we still would have to attain top-notch scores to be considered for admissions because so many have done so before us. We basically have to live up to those expectations when not all indian/asian persons have grown up in the same living environment, family/financial support, etc. Whites (esp. males) on average can get in with good scores and don't even need top-notch scores (unless you are considering the ELITE programs). So JP, I'd say you are wrong once again. I believe that white males have it fairly good. I don't think a school has ever been starving of white males.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  26. TerpDO

    TerpDO Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    May 22, 2006
    Messages:
    186
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    To be honest I do not like where the direction of this thread is heading. I definitely value diversity in terms of ethnic background as well as personal life experiences in a medical school class and I am positive that the first class at Touro NYC will have that.

    The first part of the first post is great and I think it should have ended there. People who are intelligent and motivated should be able to decide on their own if they should apply after reading that alone. The second part however seems like there is a personal motive involved and this may lead to people who have no business applying to any medical school (not just Touro) believe that they will get in solely or largely because of their ethnicity. And if you don't think it reads this then you have to broaden your views.

    Two things I think are true and should be considered when dealing with issues of race:

    1) Most URM's don't want to believe that they got into medical school or obtained any favorable decisions from admissions committees solely because of their ethnic background. They want to be respected as URM's but still have the profile to back up their worthiness of getting accepted. I don't think the original post addressed that.

    2) Non URM's don't want their own personal experiences of working in underserved communities to be overshadowed by the color (or lack thereof) of their skin either. I feel that the second part of the original post ignores these people even if they may be excellent candidates and makes no encouragement for them to apply, read "The fact that you are diverse ("colored" as implied by the title of the thread) is your greatest strength."

    Anyways this is my personal opinion and I don't think this thread is helpfu in the way it is goingl. I'll just say that if you meet the minimum requirements for medical school, then by all means apply and apply broadly because it is a numbers game (paying a large application fee for AACOMAS and writing a long essay just to apply to one school is just stupid and I'm sure everyone will agree with me on that). I don't assume to know "exactly what Touro-NY is looking for," but I will leave that up to the school itself.

    Good luck and take care of yourselves!
     
  27. HunterGatherer

    HunterGatherer HunterGatherer
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2005
    Messages:
    2,586
    Likes Received:
    16
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    white males make up 32.95% (5723/17370) of the matriculants of allopathic schools in 2006.

    white males made up 31.44% (12296/39108) of applicants to allopathic schools in 2006.

    5723/12296 46.5% of white male applicants are acceted into allopathic schools.

    These categories do not include white males that claim hispanic or other orgins.

    granted these do not include applicants to DO carrib schools but I still don't see 1 in 20 white males being accepted. perhaps i misunderstood your statement.
     
  28. hps2103

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2007
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
  29. hps2103

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2007
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    Personally...I think it's a great thread. Especially for those of us who care about the lack (and want to increase the number) of URMs in medicine. And obviously judging by the posts, many of us are interested in what people have to say (even after milly1190's second post). As future doctors...very relevent to the field.

    Yes I agree...you gotta do the work in med school, but I also feel that with proper support individuals who have traditionally not had access to resources can thrive. Again...a matter of opinion, but I'm a HUGE proponent of increasing the number of URMs in grad/med school. Increasing the number of URM should be very important to all of us and is a passion of mine.

    I can see your point with your 2) comment, but non-URMs are exactly what they are...not underrepresented. They have not historically had barriers or less access to higher education. Also, I'm a little confused about your comment:

    Do non-URMs want a pat on the back for going into a community that they had the privilege to assist in the first place? Sometimes this issue borders on the side of the whole "savior mentality." Kinda problematic in my opinion. I've done things in my life that I'm proud of and enjoyed, but I wanted to do them...and in many cases being a male and educated afforded me the resources and privilege to do them. As a non-URM I'm not concerned with being overshadowed. I'm not out to save anyone or get credit for doing so...if anything, as docs we should empower others so that they can save themselves/take care of their own health. No?
     
  30. Faraaz23

    Faraaz23 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2005
    Messages:
    220
    Likes Received:
    1
    Status:
    Medical Student
    I agree there that this is important. However, I personally think that the second part of that statement is more important. New DO schools open up where there is a need for physicians. I'd hope Touro-NY accepts the people that, in their opinion, are most likely to come back to Harlem area or another underserved area to practice. I do not think it is safe to assume that just because a person is a URM, that they WILL automatically want to practice in a underserved area.

    I'm already surprised how many M1's and M2's have abandonded their idealistic nature and are now asking "what field can i make the most possible money in and have to be on call the least?" (not saying I'm immune to this feeling at times too, we're all human). I know everyone out there has their own reasons for going into medicine, but its sad to see someone so driven to really make a change quickly forget the reasons why they originally wanted to be in medicine.
     
  31. Dr JPH

    Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2000
    Messages:
    5,910
    Likes Received:
    36
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Seems like everyone here is spouting their opinion so I thought I could do the same without being chastised. Apparently I was wrong. I am being singled out for expressing the opinion that is opposite of what is politcally acceptable.
     
  32. Dr.Inviz

    Dr.Inviz Membership Revoked
    Removed

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2006
    Messages:
    2,422
    Likes Received:
    1
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    There is sarcasm/opinion, and then there is pure BS. 1/20 white males being accepted is BS.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  33. MaLiiYaDuktuur?

    MaLiiYaDuktuur? -------------
    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2006
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    JP, I definitely hear you. :thumbup:
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  34. Dr JPH

    Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2000
    Messages:
    5,910
    Likes Received:
    36
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Probably is. I have no reference for that and, in fact, I completely made it up.

    The simple issue remains that 'politically incorrect' or 'insensitive' remarks will always be met with opposition, often founded on principle rather than fact, and no matter what truth is behind the remark it cannot be embraced.

    Inviz, you of all people should be understanding of this. ("attendee")
     
  35. Dr.Inviz

    Dr.Inviz Membership Revoked
    Removed

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2006
    Messages:
    2,422
    Likes Received:
    1
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    What's wrong, bad day? 1st day back and had it rough?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  36. Dr JPH

    Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2000
    Messages:
    5,910
    Likes Received:
    36
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Nope. Good day. Weekend off in fact. 1st day back from what? :confused:
     
  37. HunterGatherer

    HunterGatherer HunterGatherer
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2005
    Messages:
    2,586
    Likes Received:
    16
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    posting statistics is usually not considered opinion. I don't think it is fair to say you are being chastised for an opinion. You can't throw out numbers and then later say I was just giving an opinion. A lot of people respect you here and if you throw out numbers I think people are expecting that there is some solid foundation to it. all replies to your post were in reference to these numbers.

    You use the words "fact", "principle", and "truth" in your reply as if the people in this thread are narrow minded. People called you on something and you are spinning it off. Not cool.
     
  38. riceman04

    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2005
    Messages:
    8,505
    Likes Received:
    4
    Status:
    Medical Student
    what "color" are you?

    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  39. Kuba

    Physician 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2006
    Messages:
    3,015
    Likes Received:
    11
    MDApps:
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    I may not always use politically correct terminology, so what? The NAACP still uses that term.

    I'll add that in case you actually wanted to know my race: blond hair, blue eyes - as eastern-european as people get.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  40. Kuba

    Physician 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2006
    Messages:
    3,015
    Likes Received:
    11
    MDApps:
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    I was going to let that one slide, lol
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  41. Hardbody

    Hardbody Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2005
    Messages:
    743
    Likes Received:
    2
    Has it occured to anyone that the OP's intention for starting this thread was to troll?
     
  42. Dr.Inviz

    Dr.Inviz Membership Revoked
    Removed

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2006
    Messages:
    2,422
    Likes Received:
    1
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    Agreed.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  43. Dr.Inviz

    Dr.Inviz Membership Revoked
    Removed

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2006
    Messages:
    2,422
    Likes Received:
    1
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    Must ... resist .... urge.

    damned probation.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  44. Dr JPH

    Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2000
    Messages:
    5,910
    Likes Received:
    36
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    If thats the case then I understand.
     
  45. TerpDO

    TerpDO Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    May 22, 2006
    Messages:
    186
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    i'm with you on this one. A very idealistic and agreeable statement followed by something that is very controversial. Plus what does this mean: "what more could you ask for (for those of you who have strong stats AND those who do not) than a blind interview?" Shouldn't you NOT want a blind interview if you have good stats?? Makes no sense.

    Anyways if the OP really wanted his request to have more "colored" people apply to Touro NYC, I don't think this was the way to go at it. At this point I am just annoyed that I got sucked in this thread. Thanks.
     
  46. Dr JPH

    Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2000
    Messages:
    5,910
    Likes Received:
    36
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I would want to make it based on my hard work and achievements. But maybe thats just me.
     
  47. HousingDO

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2007
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    Look,

    I'm a little late on the scene here because I just found the thread, but have been laughing my ass off reading through it. To me, bottom line is that across any and all professions, it likely ideal for the population of the profession to closely reflect the population it serves in the noblest of eyes. Whether it be accounting, medicine, social work, teaching or even athletics there is and will likely be an imbalance for a long, long time to come.

    I'm singling out race of all diversity categories because it seems to be what everyone is really talking about here. The truth of the matter is that in an area as charged and polarizing as access to quality healthcare, it is crucial to the profession that the races of the sick have representation on the care side. There needs to be someone who understands their lifestyle and habits who can evaluate them completely, especially as a DO, where a holistic approach is the cornerstone of treatment.

    I know why I got in to Touro-NY. I got in because my stats made the cut and because of who I am. I believe if I had the same experiences and said the same things in my interview, but was a white male, I still would have been accepted. I believe this because they know I understand the underserved population, have had experience with inadequate care for a targeted population and plan on doing something about it.

    In my interview, one of the two interviewers lived 3 blocks from my childhood apartment and knew exactly what I was talking about when I told him my history with medical care, or rather the lack thereof because we were poor. I thought of it strictly as a financial issue at the time, but for those who have not experienced it, there is a huge disparity in the level of healthcare administered, depending on the affluence of the area.

    I went from a warzone area in Bushwick in Brooklyn where I watched my doctor not change his gloves between patients and curse at my mother when she objected to Phillips Academy, a boarding school in Mass, where I was given orthotics for my leg-length discrepancy because I mentioned very minor lower back pain to my house counselor.

    I then went to Columbia University, where I was able to see a doctor to help me acquire a special pillow to get more effective rest to help deal with the stress of working full time and attending the School of Engineering full time. Shortly after I graduated and completed 2 years at massage school to become a therapist, I worked for commission trying to help people manage pain without meds and found myself unable to afford insurance.

    I was again a minority with no money or coverage and found myself being sent home 24 hours after puncturing a lung in an accident that broke 3 ribs and my collar bone. I couldn't even walk to the cab they shoved me into once they got the details of situation sorted out.

    There really are at least 2 types of treatment people receive from hospitals and health care professionals. I believe the thought process is that by bringing in more of the people who have seen the harder side, they can help to improve the typical experience a patient has with their doctor, independent of their ability to pay. And due to my experiences, I don't believe I could deny someone help if I was in the position to assist them where others may be more likely to turn them away.

    Again, in order to help patients manage their own health long term through lifestyle changes, it's crucial to position professionals that the patients relate to and who understand their lifestyle, in order for the message to be received. It matters. And it is a legitimate credential, like being able to speak another language. Part of the job of a physician is to maintain a confidential relationship with his/her patients and that requires trust, which does not always travel past certain lines. Needless to say, it's complicated, but a push for diversity has its place. And I was the only minority at my interview day and there 11 other people.
     
  48. Dr JPH

    Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2000
    Messages:
    5,910
    Likes Received:
    36
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Interesting post.

    Personally I feel that I can thoroughly evaluate a patient of any race. I think that comes as part of good training and not with the ethnicity of the care provider.
     
  49. dseattle

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2007
    Messages:
    134
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Medical Student
    interesting posts thus far. i think as do's we must have a hollistic view on everything. understanding that gentrification does have effects on healthcare disparities; that public education is not as equal as we think (which transfers to the presumption that education is accessible for everyone, therefore a level playing field exists--is bs); that political correctness is important to medicine, especially when dealing with a multicultural world (cultural sensitivity here), and an american population that will be more minority than white in the next 10 years; that people of color are more willing to serve people of color; that cultural and language barriers can really mean life or death; that not having a support system, or feeling any type of added stress in medical school for being a minority is one too many stresses upon many; and the lists goes on.

    a.t. still was really progressive during his time (the ama banned blacks in its early years - thus the birth of the nma) allowing women and minorities to study at his school, but has this progress continued? what are the statistics for minorities in com's? what is the retention rate? why is it that there are few to no outreach programs like at allopathic schools? (i attended the summer medical education program, formerly the minority medical education program which was like 80% black, and although not everyone continued with the medical education, we were exposed to the connections between health disparities and "race".) this is our next step for our profession.

    i think osteopathy with its roots and continuation as a progressive reform movement on traditional western medicine has the best position for promoting urm's. urm's are multicultural and have different approaches to medicine. osteopathy is more open to other treatments and treating the whole body which is concurrent with many cultures. not to say it is impossible for allopaths, but it is this openness that attracted me to this profession. that there is room for change and improvement, and it is not so tied down.

    i guess this all ties down to being hollistic as a person. being open, and not judgemental and narrow minded. seeing all sides of the arguement/disease/pathology before making conclusions. understanding clinical histories as much as social/economic/cultural/political histories, so that we can all move forward together. we are all here to help each other right?

    ok peace.
     

Share This Page