Students of dentistry .. I need help please :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deniz_serifoglu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello , I decided to study dentistry and I just finished HSD last year
think.gif

but the trouble it's about the requierments Of course I meet the School counselor ( more than 3 )
confused.gif

but some of them told me it's important and necessary to have a Bachelor's degree of Science (chemistry or biology or chemical biology or cell biology ... etc.). But the other side they says isn't important or necessary to have the bachelor's degree !! just met the normal requierements ( for UCSF )
!! SO NOW AM REALY STRAINED .
smack.gif
smack.gif

I dontn't know what should I do ?? take bachelor's degree or just the school requierements ?
also I haven't decided yet wich school ? UCSF
oglvvd.gif
OR UCLA
rolleyes.gif
OR Western University of Health Sciences
my fist choice its UCSF

SO I'M REALY NEED YOUR HELP PLZ
sad4.gif
sad4.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Well the important thing is that you have a bachelor's before matriculation into dental school. It doesn't matter what major you pick as long as you can meet both the prerequisites and can satisfy the requirements for your major. This would be easier to do if you have a bachelor's in science just because the prerequisites for dental school tend to match up with the requirements for the degree you would be pursuing. Statistically you see relatively the same percent of acceptances from each major choice so that doesn't make much of a difference in terms of selection. So if you can study something you are passionate about. :)Regardless of what you chose if the bachelor's isn't complete you won't be accepted in the school so even if you meet all the requirements for the school and apply if you aren't on track to graduate the following year you would want to wait before applying. What year are you if you are worried about not meeting the prerequisites? In terms of deciding which school cost and location can be a big factor as well. Honestly its good to have top choices but due to the competitive nature of these schools you may want to focus on making that decision after you receive acceptances. Until then just focus on making yourself as competitive as possible so you will have the freedom of making that kind of choice. Normally you would want to apply to around 10 schools so its a good thing that you are interested in multiple dental schools in case you don't get into your top choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to go to any of those 3 schools you need a degree. From my experience without getting a degree the schools that accepted me are UNLV, Midwestern az, roseman, and Marquette. However I had 110 credits when I applied.

What is an HSD? I can't crack the TLA.

thank you so much for everyone answered my questions ;)

so know I understand the Bachelors degree it is important so what do you advise me choice ( about major ) ?
also what about pre-dental? when can I start it ?

thanks

thank you so much for everyone answered my questions ;)

so know I understand the Bachelors degree it is important so what do you advise me choice ( about major ) ?
also what about pre-dental? when can I start it ?

thanks

You can start it when you start your bachelors degree. Programs such as Biology, Biochemistry, Food Science and Human Nutrition w. Nutritional Sciences, Microbiology are good degrees that cover most if not all of the dental school prerequisites.

Like I said earlier, in terms of selection dental schools just want to see you do well in the major you chose and satisfy their prerequisites (while also satisfying your major's) so you have a lot of freedom in this matter. Pick a major that would give you room to satisfy dental prerequisites and makes you happy. If its a science bachelors like Dentalguy8621 listed above it'll be a lot easier to satisfy these prerequisites while staying on track with your major. You start pre-dental prerequisites your freshman year. Normally your school would provide some sort of timeline so you know what to take and when.

For example my school suggests...
1st year - General Chemistry 1 & 2 and Calculus
2nd year - Organic Chemistry 1 & 2 and Biology 1 & 2
Summer - Take DAT
3rd year - Physics 1 & 2, Microbiology, Anatomy/Physiology and Genetics
4th year - Biochemistry

This order may change depending on what major you pick but its generally recommended that you get GC, OC and Bio out of the way before you take the DAT so that you may be able to get the best scores on the exam. You should check to see if your school has a pre-health or pre-dental website that has information regarding this. I'm not sure if you've had freshman orientation yet but as soon as you can I would meet with a pre-health advisor at your college so that you can create a schedule that works best for you assuming all of the counselors you were talking to were High School ones.

It will be benificial for you if you take a bachelor's degree not only will it give you more knowledge but enhance your chances of getting an admission. It is worth the time and efforts.