1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Students who got a low gpa but high mcat

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by bugmenot29, Dec 31, 2008.

1. bugmenot29

Removed

How did you do it? Seriously my gpa sucks and I would like to get into a mid-upper tier school, so i'm gonna need to kill the mcat. How on earth did you guys get high scores. (Posts preferably from users with gpa below 3.5, mcat above 36, and interviewed or accepted to at least mid tier school).

2. Maygyver

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    The same way other people got high MCAT scores; study hard. Read the posts all throughout this forum for what to use to study.

3. bugmenot29

Removed

I should probably clarify my message. I realize that working hard is very necessary for taking the MCAT in general. However, something like a GPA is a measure of someone's work ethic as well and I guess what I was trying to do was to assess whether individuals who got low gpa's but still eeked out amazing mcats were individuals who had always performed well on standardized tests, or individuals who had take particularly challenging college curriculums that hurt their gpa. but helped them on the mcat etc. In other words, I want to know factors in addition to hardwork that may have played a role, because I consider myself to be of rather average intellect and I want to see if there's hope that I can possibly blow this exam out of the water through mere hardwork because I only had sat scores between 1900 and 2100, which is a pretty modest score and one that I actually studied for, unlike many posters on this site seem to have done. Any help or encouragement would be appreciated.

4. bodonid

bodonid Dr. Spaceman
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    if it is anecdotal evidence you want, then I guess i can help

I had ~3.5 until my senior year, and I got a 12 13 13. Why? I took every hard science course my (very large) course bulletin contained. I could have graduated with three majors with one more class. It hurt my GPA and helped my MCAT. But that is no guarantee. If I had to do it over, I wouldn't have done it that way. It cost me a year, and I don't know that much more than my classmates.

So yes, the MCAT is about hard work, primarily. But the smart ppl work hard too. So you must be prepared to work harder than them.

And if you have a GPA under 3.5, put away your aspirations of top tier schools. All US Allo schools are good, and unless you get 37+ (which noone can count on) you won't have a shot at top tier. Those people have good MCATs AND high GPAs. Even with my 38, my GPA kept me out of my "dream" schools. (that would have been 5x more expensive with the exact same education)

#4 bodonid, Dec 31, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  5. rama kandra

rama kandra Actual Psychiatrist jk
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    im counting on a high mcat score but i am still being realistic due to my kinda low/average gpa. Even with a high 30, I still need to be smart and apply to mostly midrange schools. All the top schools will have kids with high 30s and a higher GPA... so I wouldn't let anything get to your head about a high MCAT score esp if your gpa isnt on fire.

Good luck.

6. OnlyFearGOD

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It is not titles that honor men, but men that honor titles.- Niccolo Machiavelli