studied ..still bad scores? anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

think

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone
i just was wondering i got really low scores but i actually didnt studied at all so now im starting to study doing good so far is there anyone who studied and got bad scores i mean like in the 50s after studying alot ...??? or has everyone who studied alot got a really good score?
it will be greaet if u guys can let me know
thankyou

Members don't see this ad.

I do remember some people on this board posting that they still earned bad PCAT scores after lots of studying, but I can't think of any examples off the top of my head.:) Likewise, there have been reports of people on this board getting a substantial increase after studying more. I have a few friends who bombed the English sections because English wasn't their first language. They did some studying and they improved.

IMO, the PCAT scores are the most volatile scores of any standardized exam I've taken in my life. In general, one can't really make a huge improvement by studying for tests like the ACT, SAT, and to a lesser extent, the MCAT. One could do a bunch of practice questions for those exams and only have a small increase. For the PCAT, I've seen 20 percentile jumps on subsection scores and composite scores between tests though the latter is rarer. So, studying can really improve PCAT scores or it could have little effect. One's success on the PCAT depends on his or her ability to recognize the concept posed by each question and recall the correct memory from school.

hye thanx buddy... i did really bad this time ..
but im giving it all i got for the next time and im very confident it will do million times better

and another q is that the next pcat is in june and then august or june then october??? i thought i read august somewhere
give me the link for the dates plz...

another thing
how many raw points is one question worth
like i got a 382 composite so to get a good score i need like 430 which is like about 50 more points...so does it mean i need to get like 5-6 questiond right for each section??
anyone know ??

thanx

Members don't see this ad :)
and another q is that the next pcat is in june and then august or june then october??? i thought i read august somewhere

You can click on the FAQ link stickied as the first thread in this forum to view test dates (I don't remember exact dates off the top of my head but the testing months are June, August, October, and January) and other valuable information about the PCAT.

Good luck in your studies!

hye thanx buddy... i did really bad this time ..
but im giving it all i got for the next time and im very confident it will do million times better

I would check out the link posted by Julianne regarding the exact dates.

I forgot the exact dates, but there are PCAT administrations in both June and August. Be sure to apply before the deadline!

To answer your other post, I have no idea how the test designers come up with scaled scores. So, I really don't know how many questions are needed to boost a scaled score by a certain amount. 5-6 question will boost your score, but its tough to say how much it'll boost your score.

You do want to pay attention to your percentile score (from 1-99) since that's the score used by most pharmacy schools.

I would check out the link posted by Julianne regarding the exact dates.

I forgot the exact dates, but there are PCAT administrations in both June and August. Be sure to apply before the deadline!

To answer your other post, I have no idea how the test designers come up with scaled scores. So, I really don't know how many questions are needed to boost a scaled score by a certain amount. 5-6 question will boost your score, but its tough to say how much it'll boost your score.

You do want to pay attention to your percentile score (from 1-99) since that's the score used by most pharmacy schools.

well im hoping couple of questions really help alot!!! ;)

You can click on the FAQ link stickied as the first thread in this forum to view test dates (I don't remember exact dates off the top of my head but the testing months are June, August, October, and January) and other valuable information about the PCAT.

Good luck in your studies!

i should have done that before its actually very helpful
thats link also has a practice test so ill get busy....

IMO, the PCAT scores are the most volatile scores of any standardized exam I've taken in my life. In general, one can't really make a huge improvement by studying for tests like the ACT, SAT, and to a lesser extent, the MCAT. One could do a bunch of practice questions for those exams and only have a small increase. For the PCAT, I've seen 20 percentile jumps on subsection scores and composite scores between tests though the latter is rarer. So, studying can really improve PCAT scores or it could have little effect. One's success on the PCAT depends on his or her ability to recognize the concept posed by each question and recall the correct memory from school.

There are some that are just really good test takers. You know what im talking about.

You will notice when you get into the work force, you will meet many individuals which are more qualified than you that are dumb as sh**. Yet always had the highest scores.

Granted, I graduated already with a dual BS in Biochem & Cell Bio, then worked in related fields, then came back to take the PCAT and apply.

Start 1-2 months early, before the exam date. Get any PCAT prep book, any of them. Seriously, don't waste your money on the $50 or so books that are thicker than dictionaries.

Review Gen Chem, Organic I, calculus, geometry/trig, basic physics, and some english stuff like critical analyzing, vocab, analogies... Math was the hardest section for me, due to some calculus being on there among a few other types that I hadn't seen in ~10 years.

Spend 1 hour, every night or a couple hours per week, at least, studying. Doesn't have to be anything truly onerous, just a little bit every day, every week.

Sleep. Eat. Be with family, say a prayer %)
99% is within your reach.

Granted, I graduated already with a dual BS in Biochem & Cell Bio, then worked in related fields, then came back to take the PCAT and apply.

Start 1-2 months early, before the exam date. Get any PCAT prep book, any of them. Seriously, don't waste your money on the $50 or so books that are thicker than dictionaries.

Review Gen Chem, Organic I, calculus, geometry/trig, basic physics, and some english stuff like critical analyzing, vocab, analogies... Math was the hardest section for me, due to some calculus being on there among a few other types that I hadn't seen in ~10 years.

Spend 1 hour, every night or a couple hours per week, at least, studying. Doesn't have to be anything truly onerous, just a little bit every day, every week.

Sleep. Eat. Be with family, say a prayer %)
99% is within your reach.

u know actually thats how i am thinking too... im very confident that after i study i can get a very high score..i am studying everyday 1 - 2 hours..
did u take the PCAT?? your score must have been high i am guessing ...
after u study i think u should make a prayer to make sure God is on your side and u dont go and make stupid mistakes on the exam ( like fill in wrong answers on the scantron by mistake)

i agree with you about the test being most volatile. I got a 55 on chem on my first try and score a 93 on my second. Kinda crazy yet surprising to myself.