Studios in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

princessbabe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have any suggestions for buildings to look into for nice studio apartments in central west end area for med school?
Thanks!:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I assume you mean apartment buildings within walking distance to WashU SOM? There are plenty of highrises around but i am not sure if they have any studios. The CWE has weird pricing according to each street. If you stay around Barnes Jewish a studio will run for about 550-600 i think. Whereas if you go a few blocks north, you will get an 1 bedroom for that kind of money.

Anyway the ones that i have been into and seen (because of friends living there) are the Del Coronado, The Chesterfield, Montclair on the Park and Parc Frontenac. I am not sure if they have any studios though and their 1bdrs are about 750-800 a month.

However i do have a friend who lived in the Convent Gardens (it's on Pershing) and he paid like 450 for a studio.

Your best bet is to grab an RFT or go to riverfronttimes.com and search for studio apartments. They have tons of listings on their publication, although i am not so sure how the website is.

hey,
Did you get a dis-o-rientation guide when you interviewed? It gives you a list of the housing options you have (pages 78 to 82).
Pm me if you don't have it, and I can give you some of the numbers, prices, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey....

You can also check out the online version of the St. Louis Post Dispatch (st. louis' paper) for housing for rent:

http://www.stltoday.com

there is plenty of cheap housing in there.....

I'm not sure if you're from the coast but the only reason to live in a studio in St. Louis would be if you were on a really tight budget but did not want to live in the dorm (I'm assuming you're attending WashU, if you're at SLU I'm not as familiar with their immediate area.) WashU does have a dorm and it's not terrible. A significant percentage of first year med students live in the dorm, it makes the college to professional school transition a little easier because the housing situation is similar to a dorm. It's also relatively cheaper. By the 2nd year a lot of people get a roommate they can stand and move into a two bedroom apartment.

Two bedrooms are relatively cheap as are one bedrooms (by coast standards). There are studios to be had as well in most of the central west end "high rises". The closest three are (in order): Montclair on the Park, Park Frontenac, Del Coronado. All 3 are similar, the Montclair and Frontenac have the same management company. The rental market is depressed in St. Louis as well so rent concessions are to be had. If you're looking for an apartment in one of those buildings ask one of the current medical students for a referral as they (and you) will get a bit of money for that.

If you're considering living further away from the medical center (>1 mile) even factoring in parking and car maintenance costs you can easily find something cheaper than the high-rises or something much larger for the same price.

IFY,

Hmm..actually if you have that info on some places in the cwe, I wouldn't mind it if you didn't mind posting it? I'm actually in the market for a 2 br but don't want to pay high prices. thanks!

Here are the ones I have for the CWE (all prices are for 2 bedrooms):

4515 Lindell Blvd (314) 361-4515
$650, electricity is extra

4616 Lindell Blvd (314) 361-2420
$660 to $850, electricity is extra

323 N. Kingshighway Blvd (314) 633-6900
$1,400 to $2,500, Phone and internet are extra
has lots of facilities like gym, in-house drycleaning, etc see www.chaseparkplaza.com

5501 Pershing (314) 361-5290
$635, gas, electricty & phone are extra. Water & cable are included.

4949W. Pine Blvd (314) 367-4949
$965 to $1175, electricity is extra

4475 W. Pine Blvd (314) 531-4400
$675 to $750, electricity is extra

18 S Kingshighway Blvd (314) 361-0540
$1020 to $1580

40 N. Kingshighway Blvd (314) 367-8225
$1200, electricity, phone & cable are extra

4444 W. Pine BLvd (314) 371-3544
$800, electricity is extra

4545 Laclede Ave., (314) 361-2955
2 bedroom: $710
2 bedroom townhouse: $725
Only water included

Parkview apartments (WashU owned apartments) (314) 863-2600
$525, gas/sewer/water & parking included

4605-4615 Lindell Blvd (314)367-1207
$1250-$1375, phone & cable are extra

4525 Lindell Blvd (314) 367-2144
$800, electricity is extra

275 Union at pershing (866)570-7935
$920, Flat fee of $35 to $150 for utilities (exact amt varies according to apt size)

4466 Greewich (314) 533-8444
$825, electricity, phone & cable are extra

just wondering how people are going about finding roommates if they don't know anyone in st. louis or going to the med school?

SLU SOM has a roommate list available and I would guess that Wash U does as well (you might have to dig pretty deep on the website or call admissions/housing). If they don't and you have the initiative you could probably start one online and convince admissions to post a link. Also, SLU has a co-ed medical fraternity. I'm sure there are plenty of people in the same boat as you are, considering both St. Louis schools are private and consequently have a lot of out-of-staters (myself included).

Here are some good links:

http://www.mstl.org - tends to have some in the area around SLU, especially around Tower Grove area, Shaw, Botannical Gardens, and Soulard. Plus more.

http://www.apartment-search.com - free service. Give them a call. I did and they will really work with you. No charge at all. The positives are that they may have seen some of the places so they can tell you how it is. Just tell them EXACTLY what you want and you can narrow it down easily.

http://craiglist.org - enuf said on this one. Tend to have good posts once in awhile.

The last one is Wash U's website. Search their site for Off campus guide. REally useful for decent housing.

Regardless what you choose, its better if you can see the place in person if you can. SLU's site is OK but really leaves out alot of places (It was made in the summer of 2001) and lacks any city apartments (except Park 44 which is decent).

good luck

princessbabe said:
Does anybody have any suggestions for buildings to look into for nice studio apartments in central west end area for med school?
Thanks!:cool: