STUDY ABROAD ADVICE needed soon!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mish550

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Does anyone know of any GOOD study abroad programs for PRE-MEDS??

I'm really interested in going, but I just need to find the right program!

And advice is helpful!
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

There must be a Study Abroad office on your campus. See them first.

If you have in mind taking premed courses abroad, I advise don't unless you have completed the basic 8 at home. Electives are not such a problem.

Study abroad is an opportunity to do something different from what you might do at home: take, or take more, literature and/or history courses, for example. Travel around, meet people, make new friends, eat different cuisines, taste different beers if that is your taste. The watchword is enjoy, not continue the usual premed worry, worry, worry over science grades. It is a vacation of sorts.

May the sun shine warm upon your face.

If you insist on science, find courses you might not find at home. If you want credit for any courses you take, you ought to find out if credit will be given by your home college.

YES! Check out www.disp.dk

It's an amazing program in Copenhagen Denmark, taught in English. They offer a Marine Bio program which I did, as well as a medical program specifically for pre meds. The courses are very well taught, and my credits all transferred and two were applied toward my bio major! If you have specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Mango MS-1

PS. Studying abroad was the most amazing thing I've ever done! And med school interviewers will ask you all sorts of great questions about it. But that's just an added bonus!
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanted to say that Florida State as a nationaly known study abroad program. They have like 12 different places you can go,(london, spain, florence, moscow, panama, costa rica(has a marine bio program), vietnam, prague, and a few others)and you can apply to those programs even though you are not an FSU student. None are really that science oriented though, but they have plenty of lib studies, so it can be a great way to get those out of the way, plus you get 3 day weekends mostly so it leaves lots of time for travel, site-seeing,etc. I dont know if you already had a program in mind but if you are interested the website is www.fsu.edu

Goodluck
FSUMED

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Mango:
YES! Check out www.disp.dk

It's an amazing program in Copenhagen Denmark, taught in English. They offer a Marine Bio program which I did, as well as a medical program specifically for pre meds. The courses are very well taught, and my credits all transferred and two were applied toward my bio major! If you have specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Mango MS-1

PS. Studying abroad was the most amazing thing I've ever done! And med school interviewers will ask you all sorts of great questions about it. But that's just an added bonus!
smile.gif

[ This program sounds interesting. I am also looking for some study abroad classes. Can I ask you what classes you took, what classes transferred, how long did you stay and how much it cost? ]

Go to any place you think you might like, but complete your premed requirements BEFORE you go! (Really, it does not matter to adcoms where specifically you went....since going abroad in itself is viewed as an evidence of maturity).
Also, if you plan on going for the whole year, it is possible that you grade transfer might delay your AMCAS (happened to me). Everything works out eventually though. I have yet to meet anyone who regrets going abroad. It was THE most memorable time of my UNDGRD experience. Good luck on finding a place!

Wingy,

Here's what I did at DiS. I was in the Marine Biology program in the Spring of 97. At that time they did not offer the Medical Practice Courses. But I would have probably still taken the Marine Bio, because as a bio major, I was able to transfer two whole courses toward the 9.5 that were required for my major.

Courses at DiS are all 3 semester hours. Most students take five courses. The Marine Bio program places you into two courses: Marine Biology, and Marine Ecology of European Coastal Waters. Denmark is an excellent and unique place to study Marine Bio, since one side of the country boarders the North Sea (marine), while the other is on the Baltic (fresh-water). This creates an area of brackish water, and gives you the opportunity to study both types of habitats.

The courses are taught extremely well (and in English
smile.gif
). They involve labs, dissections, and several trips onboard research vessels (boats) and on beaches taking samples from the water column, sea floor, etc. The Marine Bio students also spend one week on a study tour to either Norway, or to Poland, depending on which semester you are there. I went to Poland, which was very cool. We worked at the Sea Fisheries Institute in Gdansk, went on research vessels, visited a concentration camp, and the largest brick castle in the world which was built in the 12th century!

We also travelled as a group throughout Denmark, where we studied the Marine coast, and visited old Viking towns, burial mounds, and many other cool sites. As I'm sure you can tell, this is a very well organized program, with lots to offer!

The DiS program is 40 years old, and probably the most respected study abroad program in the world. If people tell you stories about studying abroad and how easy the classes are, then they're not talking about DiS. This is a real program, with real courses. You will take hard tests, write research papers, and you WILL LEARN! The program also offers optional study tours to all of the students in the various programs (Humanities, Architecture, Engineering, Business, etc). One is a week long trip to Moscow, Estonia, and St. Petersburg Russia. I took advantage of that and it was amazing! You can't imagine how it feels to stand in Red Square, or walk through Lenin's tomb, or see the State Hermitage museum. They also offer a bicycle tour of an Island in the Baltic (I went to Prague with friends instead). These trips were during the two week Spring Break.

So about the other courses. As I said, Bio is only two courses, leaving you room for up to three more. I only took two because I had enough credits to slack off a bit. The other courses I took were through the humanities program, and they were Danish Language, and Danish Society and Culture. They offer a lot of courses, I'm sure they're listed at their web site if you want to check it out. The language class was very cool. I spoke zero Danish when I got on the plane, by the end of the 6 months, I could hold conversations with Danes! Living with a Danish host family really helps immerse you in the language and culture. And mine were so great, we still keep in touch. Incidentally, DiS also offers the option of living in a dormitory style setting with Danish college students.

Copenhagen is an amazing city. Very beautiful, full of history and castles everywhere, and it has a GREAT night life! Plus the Danes themselves are wonderful, friendly people. And the program affords you lots of time to travel. In addition to the places I already mentioned, I went to Sweden, Norway (ahhh the fjords
smile.gif
), Holland, and Germany. These trips were at my expense, but traveling as a student is very cheap. You get a Eurorail pass, and stay in Hostiles, and eat cheap. The whole semester cost me about what I was paying at my undergrad school (which was private).

So, final thoughts, GO ABROAD!!! It is the best thing you'll ever do for yourself. You will grow as a person, become well-rounded, and you will learn so many things about other cultures, as well as your own. Your mind will be opened wide, and your perspective will forever be changed. You will make life-long friends, and you will spend the rest of your life thinking about how much you were changed by the experience. In a good way, of course!

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited March 29, 2001).]

Good for you, Mango. You got out of that experience exactly what I believe is the chief benefit. You will always remember it fondly. However, I do hope you did not run into too many hostiles when you stayed in hostels! Just my puny joke! May the sun shine warm upon your face.

Ahhh spelling.... my fatal flaw. I'm doomed to anger nurses and unit clerks for decades to come...
wink.gif

Ditto for what Mango said about the DiS program, it is an amazing program with great field trips/studies, cool classes, and great opportunities to meet Danes.

I did the Medical Practice and Policy Program (the pre-med program she is talking about). The one semester program involves two classes (+ 3 electives): one is Health Care in Scandinavia, and the other is Human Health and Disease (a PBL-based class in the hospital, with real patients!!). If you go the full year, you have the option of doing an independent research project ... I tried this but withdrew b/c of utter laziness...

Any questions, just email me!
Simul
([email protected])