Study Abroad Grades in SOPHAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desNuages

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else have SOPHAS count their study abroad grades towards their GPA? My university did not count these grades towards my GPA since they were from a foreign school, but SOPHAS did. I am annoyed because the C I got in French (in France) is my only C on my transcript, and really brings down my Upper Division GPA. Do you think I can complain, or is this just how it is?

Members don't see this ad.

It's just how it is. They count everything. I took some community college classes for professional development-- not even towards a degree!-- and they counted those towards my graduate GPA. But they didn't count a few courses I took at undergrad institution for degree credit because they were graded on an alternative scale. When I called to ask about it, I was told that there was no changing the algorithm they used. Maybe you'll have different luck.

I think and hope they (or I) made a mistake.

The FAQ says "If your full credits and/or grades for study abroad courses do not appear on your undergraduate transcript, you should report that you attended a foreign institution. You do not need to list your courses under the foreign schools as we do not allow foreign coursework to be recorded. Do not send any documentation unless an evaluation is required by a program that you're applying to; check with your programs to determine if they require foreign evaluations."

I think I fall into this category because my semester was through a program at the Sorbonne in Paris, aka a foreign institute.

Reactions: 1 users
A follow up for posterity: SOPHAS will not budge. They recorded the grades in my Academic History section of my application as though I took the courses through the American school that coordinated the program, not through the French school that I actually attended. This makes no sense to me, as it is obviously foreign course work.

It also makes it appear as though I randomly switched US schools to only take a million French courses??