Study abroad or just staying at mah school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davidlee97

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've been thinking about doing study abroad to Dublin Ireland at trinity college for awhile now during my fall semester of junior year, but I just found a class that I really reaaly want to take at my own school that is only offered during fall semester. Whut should I do???? Thanx

Pros for doing study abroad
Studying at one of the top colleges in irlenad
I can do service projects in Ireland as well

Pros for staying at my school
I know how gpa system works at my school
I can take the class that I really want to take
I can make my club that I founded more active since fall is when we get to introduce clubs to everyone

Thnx agan

Members don't see this ad.

Does your university transfer letter grades from abroad, or only Pass/Fail credit? I loved my semester abroad and tell everyone to do it if at all possible. I spoke to a lot of people about it before going and a bunch more while there, almost universally people say it is one of the highlights of their time in college.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't you take the class your senior year? I studied abroad in the fall of my junior year and I have to say that it's truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience. You're never going to get another chance like this, particularly because you are hoping to go to med school. It was one of the best things I've ever done and I'm so thankful I did it. I know it's cliche but I learned a lot about myself and I grew a lot too. I did a lot of introspection. I found a group of friends that I will keep in touch with for the rest of my life. I met people from all over the US, because I went on a program that was not through my university (I didn't want to just hang out with people from my school for four more months in a different country; I could have stayed at school if I wanted to do that). I travelled, I had fun, I went out, I met amazing people, I took really really cool classes (medieval spanish literature!!!!) that weren't offered at my school, I learned who my real friends are and what I look for in friendships, I refocused my energy on what really matters to me and discovered what I am passionate about/what I want to do with the rest of my life. Like seriously, it's SUCH an amazing experience. I wouldn't give it up for anything. I tell everyone that if you have the opportunity to study abroad you should do it.

Reactions: 1 user
wow yall smart thnx yall
and yes i could take it during senior year but i just felt like the class was very unique and would like totake it before i apply to med schools IF i apply to med schools after my junior year.

what can u learn from dublin tho? ik a lot of premeds go to SA or spanish speaking countries but i do not speak spanis

You'll probably get more interesting stuff to talk about from traveling and living in a different culture than from a certain class. You don't have to learn a new language.

Reactions: 1 users
Study abroad
one class < semester in a different country with a different culture

as a rule, don't bump your thread after it's been up for only an hour - a real peeve of mine

give it a day, not instant gratification, it feels like a demand for advice that is given freely

Is culture in Ireland that much different prom USA? I mean compared 2 Asia or South America, can it rly b different and would I rly learn much??

Is culture in Ireland that much different prom USA? I mean compared 2 Asia or South America, can it rly b different and would I rly learn much??
Go there and find out! YES it is a different culture. You will learn to look at your life and your country through a different set of eyes. Living abroad for a while is something ALL Americans should do.

Look for youtube videos. I'm sure people who have studied abroad in Ireland have made some. The culture is totally gonna be different. My friend went to London and had a huge culture shock. I just think studying abroad is a really valuable experience for personal growth. Not everything we do has to be for a resume for med school.