Study abroad or research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fastnfurious

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok so would you guys recommend me studying abroad a semester or staying at my school and doing research?? My study abroad would be something non-medical, but I think the experience would be great and I could probably end up getting a minor in Spanish. On the other hand, I'm lacking research and I know that some medical schools look at that. Honestly, I feel like an opportunity to study abroad will never come again, but I don't want to mess up my chances for applying to med school next year

Members don't see this ad.

ok so would you guys recommend me studying abroad a semester or staying at my school and doing research?? My study abroad would be something non-medical, but I think the experience would be great and I could probably end up getting a minor in Spanish. On the other hand, I'm lacking research and I know that some medical schools look at that. Honestly, I feel like an opportunity to study abroad will never come again, but I don't want to mess up my chances for applying to med school next year

Study abroad, definitely. You can always get involved in research over the summer or during your senior year. And, while abroad, maybe you can find a clinic to volunteer in where you can work on your medical spanish... that would definitely help you stand out.

both experiences are highly valued by medical schools.

why can't you do both? study abroad now and research later?

Ultimately, the decision is yours. Nobody here can make it for you. You just have to do what feels right to you. Don't worry about what will impress the ADCOMs more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do whatever you will be most excited about doing. ADCOMs prefer someone with sincere motives rather than someone who is doing something just to get accepted.

Live your life. Study abroad all the way. It will enrich your perspective far more than spending time at a lab bench developing repetitive stress injuries. Research is great, and you should definitely consider it since you want to become a doctor, but the two are not mutually exclusive.

I wouldn't let the prospect of perhaps having a harder time getting into medical school (which I don't think you would), keep you from studying abroad. Like others have said you can do research at other times. Also, Spanish is arguably a better skill to acquire for the typical physician.

Do what I did...research while you're studying abroad. I started my thesis before I went abroad and finished it while I was away (my research focused on healthcare issues in my study abroad country). If that doesn't sound appealing to you then DEFINITELY study abroad. You will gain so much more abroad than you would from an extra semester of research, IMHO.

Study abroad, it's what made me want to be a doctor. I got a job in a hospital and ended up scrubbing in on a half dozen major surgeries. Definitely not an opportunity I'd get around here.

Do what I did...research while you're studying abroad. I started my thesis before I went abroad and finished it while I was away (my research focused on healthcare issues in my study abroad country). If that doesn't sound appealing to you then DEFINITELY study abroad. You will gain so much more abroad than you would from an extra semester of research, IMHO.

Get the best of both worlds!!!:thumbup: