Study Abroad Spanish with Health Activities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theWUbear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find this in old threads...

I'm interested in a Spanish study abroad program. Ideally, I would like one that covers medical spanish and/or involves volunteering in a hospital or clinic. I will be free for one Spring semester and the following summer. (Quick note: I have taken about 8 years of Spanish, I'd call myself one or two steps below fluent). Anyone have any suggestions, or ideas as to how I would go about finding such a program? If I can't find one, I'll probably settle on a regular study abroad Spanish program - suggestions of those are welcome as well. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in a Spanish study abroad program. Ideally, I would like one that covers medical spanish and/or involves volunteering in a hospital or clinic. I will be free for one Spring semester and the following summer. (Quick note: I have taken about 8 years of Spanish, I'd call myself one or two steps below fluent). Anyone have any suggestions, or ideas as to how I would go about finding such a program? If I can't find one, I'll probably settle on a regular study abroad Spanish program - suggestions of those are welcome as well. Thanks

It'll cost you a pretty penny if you want to volunteer abroad through a private organization, even more so considering that you want to do Medical or Clinical volunteering. You might to take a look at websites like:

UnitedPlanet.org
Projects-Abroad.org

Just check out their prices and see which program fits you. They have a variety of destinations and lengths of time. Why not do the study abroad program through your school and see if you can volunteer while you're abroad separately.

I highly recommend: http://www.pop-wuj.org/medical-spanish/medical-spanish.html
- individual tutoring with smart people
- hands-on medical aspects (I was pre-med, so I was doing vitals and basic history; med students were doing H&Ps under supervision)
- emphasis on social justice and history
- somewhat reasonable costs ($250/wk)

Many people just head down to Xela, Guatemala and just pick up volunteer gigs (sometimes medical or public health related) and then just hire a tutor. Much cheaper, but harder to set-up.

Of course, there are many options. Some would even argue that volunteering in your own community is better for med school prep.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

So, while I can't tell you specifically on your question, I can tell you what has been working for me.
So, I am studying abroad in Australia, and when I got here, I got in contact with local organizations to get involved with Aboriginal health endeavors. And, so far, I have like 2-3 things lined up. So, if you know people there or have connections through your college, that should work out.

Just look for opportunities once you get there. Check with the university you study at, area hospitals and clinics and your study abroad advisor/coordinator. Do not pay to volunteer!

OK, it looks like I will most likely do the Spring semester abroad at a program with the only requirement that it be language-intensive.

When I have downtime, I will research hospitals and clinics in the area in which I am staying, and see if I can get something together for the summer. Another option for the summer would be to do the Guatemala program.

Any suggestions on Spanish study abroad for a spring semester?

Bumping this thread since now (1 year later) I am actively searching for programs for spring and/or summer 2012

My ideal situation would be a study abroad through a university that involves something pre-health related. The guatemala program above interests me also. Any advice would be appreciated

I did www.ecela.com. It's an intensive language class program with multiple locations throughout South America. You can also set up medical spanish classes by setting up private lessons (which I thought were excellent) or set up a shadowing experience at a local hospital (which I thought was insanely overpriced and also low yield). I'm not sure if it's at a high enough level for you, but it did a lot for my Spanish speaking skills.

Also this is a program that I'm looking at for a fouth year elective. I haven't been there yet or met anyone who has so I don't know how to recommend them. http://www.mayanmedicalaid.org/

Last edited:
Check to see if your university has any connections with the University of Guadalajara (Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara - UAG). Guadalajara is the second largest city in mexico, full of culture, and pretty safe. UAG has a medical school and they often offer study abroad programs with US universities. You will probably be working in community health clinics -where the activity kind of slow (not that many patients / day), but you will have a blast and learn tons.

Edit: They also do offer hospital clinical opportunities
Edit #2: Unfortunately this may not be an option as many US institutions are placing all of the their Mexico programs on lockdown due to security concerns.

Last edited:
Bumping this thread since now (1 year later) I am actively searching for programs for spring and/or summer 2012

My ideal situation would be a study abroad through a university that involves something pre-health related. The guatemala program above interests me also. Any advice would be appreciated

Go to SPAIN! I can't stress enough how much you will enjoy it. I studied Spanish in Madrid a few summers ago and it was awesome. Forget volunteering while you are there, all you need to know is take the metro until you get to the stop "Sol" or end up at Plaza Mayor. k? k.

I went through my undergrad, which accepted a student on the trip that didn't go to school with us. Other universities may do the same thing. Look into it.

Father refuses to pay or let me get loans and pay myself - says I should just take spanish classes at the local CC. Feels like dreams being crushed in front of my eyes. Any advice for convincing parents? (reasons why immersion + courses are better, things i can say about loans to let my dad take them out, etc...)

Father refuses to pay or let me get loans and pay myself - says I should just take spanish classes at the local CC. Feels like dreams being crushed in front of my eyes. Any advice for convincing parents? (reasons why immersion + courses are better, things i can say about loans to let my dad take them out, etc...)

I applied for a study abroad scholarships through my university. If you can find a school with a study abroad program that will let you apply for any similar scholarships, that might be worth the shot. Last resort, send letters out to friends and family asking for sponsors.

Show your dad this website and he will change his mind when he sees that Ursa says "Dad, it is so worth it!"

Last edited:
Come to Spain! I studied abroad here (madrid) and came back for two years before starting med school this coming august. Madrid is incredible!!!

I was tried to convince my aunt to let my cousin study abroad here, and I could not get through to her. She said she wanted his quality of education to be the highest it can be... even though he's at the biggest party school in the nation... >_>

Tell your dad you know someone who got into medical school because he's been teaching science in madrid for two years? (me)

Advice:

First, as many have said, do your best to get it for free. If you're at Undergrad see if they have scholarships.

Failing that, see if you can get it for a price equal to or less then what you are paying now. If you can get your college to agree to give you a full semester of credit for your semester abroad, and if it works out to be less than your college tuition, you might be able to convince your family it makes financial sense. Obviously this would involve skipping all of the more expensive options. SA probably makes more sense than Spain. Make sure you come to them with a priced out plan for what you want to do. Your Dad might hear 'Travel' and think of you drowning in debt for what in reality might be a very cheap experience.

Failing THAT, I think you know how to explain as well as anyone. Immersion challenges your language skills in ways that classroom instruction can't. Trying to survive and experience a foreign country forces you to fill in gaps in your knowledge and conversation that you might not even have known you had in a class. Also we're really not designed to pick up languages in small doses. 12 weeks of full time study will get you a lot farther than the exact same number of hours spaced out over 5 years.

Finally make sure you're addressing what they're really concerned about. Is cost the issue, or are they really concerned about safety? All of South America is not Mexico/Columbia. The crime statistics for Santiago might go as far as any financial analysis in convincing them.