Study Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSroa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Students,

I want to study medicine abroad, perhaps in the Caribbean or Europe. Not that I got rejected from all the United States medical schools that I applied to, I want to see what it is really like to study medicine in a foreign country in foreign surroundings with foreign people. I know it will be a very interesting experience. I am the type of person who does not care about the status of the medical school I go to, but the type of doctor I turn out to become in the end. I know that my going to another country, I will have a greater perspective of humanity than if I were to stay here in the states. Does anyone have any suggestions of medical schools? Any feedbacks will be respected. Thanks.

Dr. Sroa

Stats: 3.75/35N

Members don't see this ad.

just make sure that whatever school you go to, has a record of placing their students in US residencies, With your stats you would be depriving yourself of a superior education and oppurtunities in America by going to the caribbean, I think the more highly recognized carribean schools the clinical years are spent in the US, so that would provide no benefit to expand your international desires. England is supposed to have some great med schools but its real hard for foreigners to enter into a US med school and I imagine the same would be true to gain acceptance into an English med school. I'm not sure about the rest of europe.

I know US med schools have oppurtunities for international medicine during the summer or during on of the clinical years, maybe you should post in the allopathic forum or research this.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrSroa said:
Dear Students,

I want to study medicine abroad, perhaps in the Caribbean or Europe. Not that I got rejected from all the United States medical schools that I applied to, I want to see what it is really like to study medicine in a foreign country in foreign surroundings with foreign people. I know it will be a very interesting experience. I am the type of person who does not care about the status of the medical school I go to, but the type of doctor I turn out to become in the end. I know that my going to another country, I will have a greater perspective of humanity than if I were to stay here in the states. Does anyone have any suggestions of medical schools? Any feedbacks will be respected. Thanks.

Dr. Sroa

Stats: 3.75/35N

Dr. Sroa,
I am with you!!! I am applying to Israeli school in Tel Aviv (Sackler). PM me of you want more info about it. Its a great place and gives high quality education.

My advice is to take a trip to Europe, back pack for a month or two, and then get back to the United States for medical school. Why avoid the worlds best medical education system just for the sake of diversity of experiences? If you plan on practicing in the US, a foreign medical degree doesnt make the prospect exceptionally easy.

Hey!
I applied to an Australian medical school and was seriously considering going there. Just be aware of your residency options when you return to the state and check out the int'l school's USMLE pass rates for their American Students. Also check into what programs they have for obtaining residencies back in the US. Many of them have official and non-official agreements with US Universities for both rotations in 3rd and 4th year along with residencies. However, I have also been advised that if you are interested in going into a specialty or some other competitive avenue of medicine, obtaining a residency might be more difficult as a foreign trained medical student. However, if you want to do family practice /primary care, you may be sailing down a very interesting and enlightening path. Best of Luck to you and way to keep your options open, I admire that! :luck:
Christine