Study Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anbuitachi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here studied abroad in China? I'm actually Chinese but i haven't been there in ages so I'm thinking of studying abroad there spring Junior year. I think I will take MCATS fall senior year? Do you guys think this is a good idea or should I stay in school here and take some science classes... just so I can have more of them...

I'm thinking of going to an Engineer school in Hong Kong (HK polytech or something?). I dont know how difficult teh classes there will be so I'm looking for any experiences / advices? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Go abroad. It will give you something to talk about on your application and during your interviews.

Why take hard engineering classes in HK if you don't plan on becoming an engineer? I would say do a program where you can have fun. You'll be craming enough for the MCAT so give your brain a break.

I studied abroad and it was one of the best experiences of my life. In fact I believe that everyone should go abroad during college b/c the experience is so amazing (all of my classmates who studied abroad felt the same thing).

I would suggest taking easy classes or classes that are different from your usual science load. When I studied abroad in Spain, I took classes in archeology and was able to go see the early cave paintings left by early humans in Spain. I took Islam in Spain and painting and other fun subjects. It helped me learn so much about the culture and was so rewarding.

Why bother torturing yourself with difficult classes before you begin your MCAT prep? Have fun and take easy, fun classes.

Definitely go abroad! Itll be an awesome experience. I also don't think that you should take difficult engineering courses unless it ties into something you are doing at your home university...

Make sure to do something abroad worth talking about that is different than what you would have done in the US ( ie take hard classes, party). Also, spending a semester sight seeing isn't that worth it. Try to set up a research project or some sort of other project that will make your semester fun but still productive.

I highly recommend studying abroad- I didn't do China though- I did Europe (multiple countries) and Central America as well as humanitarian trips to South America and Africa.

It was one of the greatest experiences of my life and came up in every interview...I also am not sure about taking engineering classes- consider taking language, history, arts, etc... it will add to your diversity and if you know some Chinese (maybe you already do?) then it would help in medical school/residency