Study Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jibberjabber

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have good study advice for preclincals? Struggling a little bit.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I might be a first year, but I did do an SMP last year (and I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night).

Everyone has their own methods. Just need to find your preference. Everyday, I skip lecture and go through the lecture notes. Every time I read something new, I write it down in my notebook. I basically condense 10 pages of lecture notes into ~1 page in my notebook. I don't do this for every class (some I just read the lecture notes a few times, but that's rare). I then watch some lectures on video at 2.0 speed, only the ones that were conceptually tricky.

Before the every exam, I reread my handwritten notes, do practice problems, maybe read BRS, and then reread the original lecture notes looking for tiny details I may have missed.

I would suggest not going to class and using that time to study. Gives you more time to get through the material and use review books. Listen to the lectures at home if you can. You can speed them up and get through this faster.

Find a partner that is scoring in the range you want and study "up". Often times, they are good at pointing out some stuff you may miss. Or help explain things.

I would study for classes and Step 1 along the way using my review books. Like I am going through Pathoma and FA with my notes. And Lipincott for review questions.

I might be a first year, but I did do an SMP last year (and I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night).

Everyone has their own methods. Just need to find your preference. Everyday, I skip lecture and go through the lecture notes. Every time I read something new, I write it down in my notebook. I basically condense 10 pages of lecture notes into ~1 page in my notebook. I don't do this for every class (some I just read the lecture notes a few times, but that's rare). I then watch some lectures on video at 2.0 speed, only the ones that were conceptually tricky.

Before the every exam, I reread my handwritten notes, do practice problems, maybe read BRS, and then reread the original lecture notes looking for tiny details I may have missed.

I'm also a 1st year but I agree with the above. I also try to condense down the material into the concepts I need to work on. I'll always have a notebook nearby to right down concepts I'd like to review more, even if it's just something I'd like to obtain a better understanding of.

My biggest suggestion is to figure out your most efficient method of making things "stick". Everyone has specific ways of learning that work better from them whether it's by listing, reading, watching, or doing. Find what works best for you and focus on that. Fortunately, there are an unbelievable amount of resources available today so you should be able to find plenty of them to suit your learning style. :thumbup: