Study anatomy this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Freewater

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone considering doing some studying on their own this summer? Specifically, anatomy? I am going to do maybe 45 minutes a day on my own just to lighten my study load for the fall.

Members don't see this ad.

Freewater said:
Is anyone considering doing some studying on their own this summer? Specifically, anatomy? I am going to do maybe 45 minutes a day on my own just to lighten my study load for the fall.

If you read the 10 zillion other recent threads on this same topic on this and the allo board, you will see that the consensus of folks in med school think this is probably a waste of your time. You have no idea what will be focused on, will perhaps "learn" some things incorrectly and have to "unlearn" them, and cannot hope to make any sort of dent in the course in 45 mins a day for a few months anyhow. Have fun over the summer. You will be spending more than enough time on anatomy when the time is right.

anatomy!? Are you kidding?

I'm going to sit on a beach and drink tequila.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took watered-down undergrad anatomy last year, and loved it. If you really think you'd like it, get a Netter or other atlas and just try to get aquanted with the body. I like the coloring books a bit too. Oh, and having a "partner" willing to participate in anatomy lessons is always a plus!

Trust me....don't bother studying it in advance. I understand that it 'seems' like a good idea. But it will be a low-yield way of spending your time. Enjoy the summer. Spend time with friends and loved ones. You won't have much time for them once medical school begins.

Good luck.

I may actually get a chance to dissect a cadaver for my school this summer since Im a TA for anatomy. Just think about it, an extra couple weeks of my life it get to spend smelling like embalming fluid. And i got a free book from my professor, but I had to review for a company.

dajimmers said:
I took watered-down undergrad anatomy last year, and loved it. If you really think you'd like it, get a Netter or other atlas and just try to get aquanted with the body. I like the coloring books a bit too. Oh, and having a "partner" willing to participate in anatomy lessons is always a plus!

I like the coloring book idea ;)

I figure the best thing I can do for myself is work and try to save up some money since I'm going to be paying for the next 4 years of my life with loans! (And maybe have some fun at night, since I won't get to have much of that, either!)