Study Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shahjehan

Reaction score
How can I study anatomy easily specially head Nd neck kindly guide

Members don't see this ad.

There aren't a lot of tricks to studying anatomy. It isn't one of those subjects that is intuitive. You just have to memorize everything as best you can. My favorite atlas is netters.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Use this:

First Year Dental Head and Neck Anatomy (Dent 545) - BlueLink

Do the practice questions and interactive quizzes in whichever areas you are covering. Don't worry that it's says first year dental, it's the same head/neck/face anatomy for med. Doing these will help you learn some of the more important, high yield positional relationships. Then, spend several hours identifying things in lab with like one or two other friends who know their stuff well; not a group of ten people all giving questionable answers.

Know the cranial nerves, including where they come off the brain, where they exit the skull, any *main* branches they have, *general* parasympathetic paths/ganglia, and what they do.

If your school has past practical answer keys they give out, use those. Professors often like to tag a lot of the same stuff year to year.

Note this will all depend on school, so modify accordingly.

Learn all the terms and structures before going to lab so that you don't waste your time. Past that, repetition, repetition, repetition. Throw in some hard work and you'll get it. Neck is hard so pay extra attention to where things are in relation to everything else. And I echo learning cranial nerves.......learn these well because you'll use them a lot.

Reactions: 1 user
There's 2 stages to mastering anatomy:

(1) Memorize the picture-perfect anatomy (your atlas)
-take your favorite atlas & grab your structure list from school
-mark pages with anything on your schools' structure list & mark those pages (for easy access; page markers)
-go through it once a day (or every other day or whatever)
-write everything out; research has shown writing things out helps wth memory (& it doubles as spelling practice if your school grades on that like mine does)

(2) Practice identifying in lab
-preferably w/ a tutor or professor or someone that can with 100% certainty confirm that you are correct. If you have the atlas stuff memorized, this part doesn't take long at all. You just need someone to confirm what things look like in real life.

That's it. Most of the work is step 1. (IMO) you don't need to spend much time in lab at all. I did really well in anatomy and barely spent any time in lab using the above strategy.

Extra Help: BlueLink
-quiz yourself from home with the website above if you're sick, can't make it to lab, or cramming for an exam.

Note: flashcards work too, but they take forever to make, which is why I recommend the atlas marking strategy.

Anatomy sucks, but it's a part of the grind. You got this.

Reactions: 1 users