Study Groups

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maali

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I'm taking my first semester of General Biology and I really enjoy it. The problem is that no-one in that class talks when the professor asks us a question so I end up answering 70% of them. I guess the class noticed and now everyone wants to meet up and study with me. I don't want to sound cocky as I'm attending a community college but some of these students are just not cut out for biology. Anyways I study a lot better on my own but don't want to be rude to my classmates that persistently ask me. I feel as if I would spend the whole time explaining concepts to them instead of reviewing them for myself. What should I do in this type of situation. Again I'm not trying to be arrogant, I'm just being honest.

Members don't see this ad.

Its not unusual, even at big universities, for 95% of the class to not answer a question and the remaining 5% to answer all of them. (I might have made up those stats....(60% of the time, it works every time)) A lot of people may know the answer but just don't like public speaking...If you are thinking about medical school it might be a good plug for later on to tutor other biology students. It will also give you a firm grasp on the fundamentals. You might also look at moving up to a harder college if your courses are incredibly easy. I imagine medical school would be an inopportune time to start challenging yourself for the first time. Best of luck!

OP, your time as a pre-med is very valuable. Time spent tutoring others could be spent elsewhere. Perhaps you can sign-up to be a peer tutor if you really want to do this as an activity -- thus, it will be documented and you can list it as one of your 15 activities on the AMCAS.

I would strongly suggest learning to say "no" to others, especially if you study better alone. I'm all for being altruistic, but not if it hurts your chances at pursuing your dream.

You could suggest to the people asking you that they study together. Sounds like there's enough to make a study group.