Study Groups

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkishking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got asked to study with this girl in my Biology class. She's a junior, and lives i think with roommates or alone I'm not quite sure honestly.. Anyway, she told me to arrive Monday night around 9 since there aren't classes that day. I'm not really interested in study groups, however, are study groups efficient ways of preparing for an exam? I've never studied with another individual.. any experiences studying with groups or other people?

Members don't see this ad.

I recently got asked to study with this girl in my Biology class. She's a junior, and lives alone. Anyway, she told me to arrive Monday night around 9 since there aren't classes that day. I'm not really interested in study groups, however, are study groups efficient ways of preparing for an exam? I've never studied with another individual.. any experiences studying with groups or other people?
Not a creepy observation to emphasize.

Reactions: 25 users
well that's the information I was given, I wasn't really focused on that part

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm ... Groups can be effective, but it's person to person and group to group to determine if it will work. You just have to try.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you ever study in a group?
I had luck with biochem, though I ended up doing most of the work. That was actually good because I learn well through teaching.

Otherwise I'd rather study on my own. That's just me.

Only if people are smarter than you. Otherwise, use internet tutorials. I have had much better experience studying with 2 people smarter than me, and typically earn higher marks when I do. Any more than 3 people and it gets too unfocused.

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't study much in groups (or at all tbh), but when I did, I noticed people could be VERY broadly categorized into 2 types: the person who already knows most of the material, and the person who is struggling with the material.

I was personally the former much more often than the latter and most group study sessions turned into me lecturing. At first I didn't think it helped much, but I was helping my friends so I didn't mind. Then later I realized that by teaching the material I really could pinpoint where my own knowledge had holes. So most of the group study sessions ended up helping me more than I expected.

If you're the type who is struggling more then I'm not sure. I think it would depend on how you learn best.

Reactions: 3 users
Let me suggest that you move this study group (almost said grope) to the library or another public place. I'm not a prude but I would not recommend putting yourself in this situation on campus; there is just too much risk for men these days.

Reactions: 14 users
I have a similar issue. There's this guy I want to study with... he's quite reserved, with kind eyes but a fragile, delicate spirit. He lives a 23 minute brisk jog from campus in a small, run down apartment. He has a few close friends, but mostly keeps to himself, so no one checks in on him regularly. Anyway, should I bring flashcards when I go over to study?

Reactions: 30 users
Ahhhhh, the naiveté of your freshman year.

I had luck with biochem, though I ended up doing most of the work. That was actually good because I learn well through teaching.

Yup. I get more work done in 3 hours alone than I do in 6 hours with a group. I don't understand how some of my fellow premeds at my school can spend 6 hours together in the library and get zero work done.

I taught 2 people gen chem and 1 persons gen physics and it really strengthened my knowledge of the material. The best way to learn is first be taught it, then teach it to someone else.

Members don't see this ad :)
In undergrad - I never studied in groups - it just slowed me down. I do study in groups in med school - because some concepts can be explained better by a fellow student.

Basically if you know what you are doing - then don't. If you get stuck on topics/problems - groups would be a good idea for you.

Only if people are smarter than you. Otherwise, use internet tutorials. I have had much better experience studying with 2 people smarter than me, and typically earn higher marks when I do. Any more than 3 people and it gets too unfocused.

Agreed. Those you study with should be at your level or higher. And the 3 person rule is a good one.

Yup. I get more work done in 3 hours alone than I do in 6 hours with a group. I don't understand how some of my fellow premeds at my school can spend 6 hours together in the library and get zero work done.

I taught 2 people gen chem and 1 persons gen physics and it really strengthened my knowledge of the material. The best way to learn is first be taught it, then teach it to someone else.

But wouldn't you have to be with other people to teach them...? That's often times what group sessions have been, for me. Someone goes around sharing their notes with others, and the rest of the members of the group will attempt to fill in any gaps that he/she may have missed. Therefore, anyone in the group missing anything said can get the full notes that everyone in the group has, with all of the minutiae pieced together. It can be a pretty good strategy, actually, depending on how detail-oriented the class is.

I have a similar issue. There's this guy I want to study with... he's quite reserved, with kind eyes but a fragile, delicate spirit. He lives a 23 minute brisk jog from campus in a small, run down apartment. He has a few close friends, but mostly keeps to himself, so no one checks in on him regularly. Anyway, should I bring flashcards when I go over to study?

Don't forget to put back the axe, Raskolnikov.

Reactions: 1 users
But wouldn't you have to be with other people to teach them...? That's often times what group sessions have been, for me. Someone goes around sharing their notes with others, and the rest of the members of the group will attempt to fill in any gaps that he/she may have missed. Therefore, anyone in the group missing anything said can get the full notes that everyone in the group has, with all of the minutiae pieced together. It can be a pretty good strategy, actually, depending on how detail-oriented the class is.

I taught my classmates 1-1.

I hate study groups and very rarely do it. That being said, I would go to this one OP. Make sure to come prepared (for the studying of course)

I don't like studying with others. I have my own method of studying/understanding and obtaining information. Most others' only serve to annoy me. I would probably make for a poor tutor.

I don't like studying with others. I have my own method of studying/understanding and obtaining information. Most others' only serve to annoy me. I would probably make for a poor tutor.
A little late. Overall, we had a great study session ;)

A little late. Overall, we had a great study session ;)

Better late than never? I've been reading older threads because it has been a while since I've been here. Cheers to the good sesh, though.

I feel like teaching biochem was the only way to learn biochem.

The only time I ever find group studying interesting is if it is right before the test. For example, you study for the actual exam by yourself in the days leading up to it, then, in exam day, meet up with a group of close friends and review for one hour with them. It always helped me solidify stuff and answered any questions I had!!!

I think studying in groups is good after you've studied by yourself. If you can teach the material to other people, such as a study group, you know the material well.

Did this study group ever work out?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yes, when I think of college dangers, assaults against single men is definitely high on the list of problems... :rolleyes:
A man and a girl in the room alone together and you dont think he should be careful ?? You must not notice the climate of todays society . Maybe its just my personal experience but at librial colleges people believe the girl no matter what so if you are a guy and accused of that you are screwed. Also I dont want to act like this is as prevalent as women getting assaulted but this doesnt get talked about enough so guys arent aware of this stuff. OP be careful even just a accusation can ruin you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
A man and a girl in the room alone together and you dont think he should be careful ?? You must not notice the climate of todays society . Maybe its just my personal experience but at librial colleges people believe the girl no matter what so if you are a guy and accused of that you are screwed. Also I dont want to act like this is as prevalent as women getting assaulted but this doesnt get talked about enough so guys arent aware of this stuff. OP be careful even just a accusation can ruin you.
WHOOOOOOSH!

ANY people should be cautious of being alone and vilnerable of people they barely know.

Mypoint was, I was surprised @LizzyM described it as if it was more or equally prevalent than girls on campuses...but I am hoping she was just givinf pointed advice.

I did extremely well in my upper division coursework because of my closest two friends.

We all worked our asses off, and were naturally gifted at different things. One was very good at understanding and connecting pathways, another had a photographic memory and good pneumonic systems, and I am good at mathematical/physical understanding.

Together I felt like there was nothing we couldn't do together or learn together. We were top of our class, and we damn well deserved it. And they had my back- lots of drinking, lots of talking, some of my best friends now, all because we wanted to do better in class.

If you have never studied with other people, your college experience is completely alien to mine. Honestly, how could you not lose your mind studying alone all the time?

Yes, when I think of college dangers, assaults against single men is definitely high on the list of problems... :rolleyes:

I was thinking more about IAs. Getting caught in a "she said/he said" will kill any chance of being admitted. Some folks here may be too trusting or inexperienced to realize that they are placing themselves at risk.

I was thinking more about IAs. Getting caught in a "she said/he said" will kill any chance of being admitted. Some folks here may be too trusting or inexperienced to realize that they are placing themselves at risk.
Fair enough.

I think one-on-one sessions are fine. Both of you can bring something to the table as far as studying goes. If you both learn in the same fashion (e.g. visual learners,) then it can be very beneficial. However, if she wants to get distracted with YouTube videos, Facebook, or sex, then I'd stay away after then next couple of visits.