Study Groups

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

priyanka

Neuro-tic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So,
How many of you guys studied for your mcat in study groups?

or..The gunn-er the better?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't study in groups because group studying usually progresses much slower than studying on one's own. Besides, you can teach yourself everything you need to know with a good text book :thumbup:

I feel a study group produces "false motivation" if there is such a thing. Meeting up with fellow MCATers once in a while, however, can be productive and allow you to pinpoint what concepts you need to touch upon...but it can also mislead you if certain people end up stressing concepts that you know in your heart won't be a big deal. That always seems to happen when I interact with people academically...it sometimes seems they just miss the main points ;0

So yeah...it can be helpful, but I wouldn't depend on it. You can use them more as diagnostics if anything.

GUNNnerRRRrrr Gobble Gobble

Members don't see this ad :)
priyanka said:
I fall asleep if I study alone.. :oops:

It's something you must overcome :D
Try studying for shorter periods of time as well. I remember when I started studying last winter break I did 1/2 hour to 1 hour study sessions throughout the day, totaling about 5-6 sessions and about 4 hours. It worked out pretty well. At the end of the day I'd make a full composite sheet of the key points I learned from that day(as dumbed down, concise, and space-saving as possible) and store it away in a folder...I also type corny-a** jokes to myself because I'm weird like that :p

Good luck to you :luck:

Turkeyman said:
It's something you must overcome :D
Try studying for shorter periods of time as well. I remember when I started studying last winter break I did 1/2 hour to 1 hour study sessions throughout the day, totaling about 5-6 sessions and about 4 hours. It worked out pretty well. At the end of the day I'd make a full composite sheet of the key points I learned from that day(as dumbed down, concise, and space-saving as possible) and store it away in a folder...I also type corny-a** jokes to myself because I'm weird like that :p

Good luck to you :luck:

LOL jokes to yoursellf, awww. wait tilll you get to med school your girlfriend/futurewife whisper you sweet nothings while you study ;) lol okay nevermind. (I talk weird like that sometimes)

oh yeah, I m taking the mcat next april :) Yes jtank, music is my life!

priyanka said:
LOL jokes to yoursellf, awww. wait tilll you get to med school your girlfriend/futurewife whisper you sweet nothings while you study ;) lol okay nevermind. (I talk weird like that sometimes)

oh yeah, I m taking the mcat next april :) Yes jtank, music is my life!

Hahaha sweet nothings can be sweet everythings at times

If you're taking it next april, you've got plenty of time, make the best of it

gujuDoc said:
I think study groups are a waste of time. A lot of times if you get in groups they can be unproductive because you start talking to your friends about off topic things. Also, this test is a matter of doing well on passages, etc. That is something you will need to do by doing your own practice. By a timer from walmart to time yourself as you do practice tests, etc.

Are you taking a course?? If so, the instructors should be there to help with your questions. If you are not, then I would talk to someone if there was something you really didn't understand on your own. Although SDN usually does a good job of having the resident Kaplan and TPR instructors (QofQuimica and Shrike, respectively) to answer these questions with thoroughness. They're real helpful and we are lucky that they choose to post amongst us to help people like you.

However, constant study groups may be a hinderance to your studying cuz it will be a cause for distractions. Some light music while going through lessons may be good. Another idea would be to study in the library or somewhere where there are people. That will force you stay up and study more so then if you were at home.

Wow, great suggestions gujudoc,
thanks a ton! ;)

I studied mainly by myself because I usually tend to end up chatting if I'm around other people. But, when it came to taking the practice exams, I took them with a group of people so it felt more realistic.