Study Guide (Did I mess up?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chancer

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
May I please have your opinion?

Last year I took neuro and got a 100% on the final. I got a 100% because I made a study guide and my prof goes directly from the book. I did not make any study guides after the exam. A first year comes up to me and said he failed his first exam in Neuro and had to re-take it. He said he was worried about the final, so I emailed him the study guide I made and told him I got a 100%. Did I do a boo boo? I have gotten into trouble in the past for tutoring students, apparently the program wants students to do everything on their own. My concern is did I let the student cheat?? Again, it was made before I took the exam last year.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

May I please have your opinion?

Last year I took neuro and got a 100% on the final. I got a 100% because I made a study guide and my prof goes directly from the book. I did not make any study guides after the exam. A first year comes up to me and said he failed his first exam in Neuro and had to re-take it. He said he was worried about the final, so I emailed him the study guide I made and told him I got a 100%. Did I do a boo boo? I have gotten into trouble in the past for tutoring students, apparently the program wants students to do everything on their own. My concern is did I let the student cheat?? Again, it was made before I took the exam last year.

Thanks.

wut

Anyways, no you did not help a student cheat. If this is cheating my whole class deserves to be dismissed from the school. Unless there is something explicitly written in the syllabus about handing down study guides then you cannot get in trouble for that.

Thanks...

Yea, the chair had a conference with me and asked me if I think I can teach better then the instructors. I was honest and said yes, and that ticked him off and he even said the program has nothing more to offer me. Long story, big headache. I'll be happy when I graduate. Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the craziest thing I've ever heard. My school has a school-sponsored peer tutoring program, plus a google docs site for my class to post/share study guides. It would never enter my head that sharing a study guide could be cheating, unless you made or altered the guide after the test (once you knew what would be asked).

Thanks...

Yea, the chair had a conference with me and asked me if I think I can teach better then the instructors. I was honest and said yes, and that ticked him off and he even said the program has nothing more to offer me. Long story, big headache. I'll be happy when I graduate. Anyway, thanks for your reply.

...are you socially stupid or something? You expected some response other than pissing him off?

Thanks...

That's ignorant on your part to assume that simply because you got a 100 on the final, you are able to teach a course better than a professor. Teaching is a completely different art and challenge than studying for a final and getting 100.

Learn humility. It will cause you less headaches and will carry you far.

That's ignorant on your part to assume that simply because you got a 100 on the final, you are able to teach a course better than a professor. Teaching is a completely different art and challenge than studying for a final and getting 100.

Learn humility. It will cause you less headaches and will carry you far.

Then again, there are some really awful teachers out there.

This is the craziest thing I've ever heard. My school has a school-sponsored peer tutoring program, plus a google docs site for my class to post/share study guides. It would never enter my head that sharing a study guide could be cheating, unless you made or altered the guide after the test (once you knew what would be asked).

My school actually came up to us and asked us to tutor underclassmen and they pay us. This is crazy

Thanks...

Did you really say that? You trollin us?

I bet you those teachers thought they could teach when they were students themselves...

You do have to admit that there are some PhD's out there that aren't great at teaching relevant material and aren't great at presenting the material at a level appropriate for med students.

Not suggesting OP is a better teacher by any stretch but he may be able to explain the material to a fellow student in a way that they understand the basic concepts much better.

There was one professor that was notoriously awful at my school and had dense 80 pg pdf files to go along with every 1 or 2 of his lectures. One of my classmates actually liked his style and understood everything and was able to break it down for everyone else. She was much more useful to me than he was.

Thanks...

Do we really need to know anymore? No one gets in trouble for helping another student. People get in trouble for being tools.

Telling the chair that you can teach better than your instructors is ballsy but not out of line IMO.

Sounds like he was being snotty and got a well earned smack.

OP is a King amongst men.

I wouldn't worry about ticking off your faculty, i'd just be smug in the fact you've got one over on the school when they themselves are probably looking to screw you over at the next opportunity.

fuking alpha op, i'd rep you IRL

Do we really need to know anymore? No one gets in trouble for helping another student. People get in trouble for being tools.

A conference with the chair indicates that the faculty is full of tools.

I don't know why people think PhD's have some particular ability to teach. The whole university system is somewhat obsolete in the technological era.

fuking alpha op, i'd rape you IRL

A conference with the chair indicates that the faculty is full of tools.

I don't know why people think PhD's have some particular ability to teach. The whole university system is somewhat obsolete in the technological era.

Fixed.

Couldn't resist with a username like that!

Again, I'm all for getting rid of poor educators in medical school. But it's ignorant for the OP, and in fact many of us here, to assume that we can do a better job than the PhD. Last time I checked, over vast majority of us weren't teachers before we came to med school thus we don't actually know what it takes to successfully teach 90+ adults something as complex as a medical school topic.

Fixed.

Again, I'm all for getting rid of poor educators in medical school. But it's ignorant for the OP, and in fact many of us here, to assume that we can do a better job than the PhD. Last time I checked, over vast majority of us weren't teachers before we came to med school thus we don't actually know what it takes to successfully teach 90+ adults something as complex as a medical school topic.
At the same time faculty members don't deserve automatic veneration just for being faculty. Being medical students, I imagine our intellects are roughly on par with medical school professors (who were once in our position), so it's not inconceivable that some of us are better teachers than they are, especially once we've mastered the material that they teach us.

Fixed.

Being able to successfully teach is not required to earn a PhD or a faculty position.

It's equally ignorant to assume that a PhD can do a better job teaching than a well-studied med student.

Last edited: