1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice

Study Guides

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by Bond03, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Bond03

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hello everyone.

I am taking the MCAT in about one year and I decided to purchase the complete study guide Examkrackers package to learn the information as I'm learning it in class. I'm having a hard time understanding some of the topics so I was wondering if there are any good study guides for Bio, Chem (especially chem), Orgo, Physics that people have come across that have helped them, simplfied some of the information presented in these books (besides the kaplan and princeton ones).

And also, since I have about one year before the MCAT, does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of schedule I can follow?

Thanks !

2. Raindrop423

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Well, if you have a year to plan, I'd figure out what you think you'll need to do to be prepared (i.e. go through the review books, outline them if that's your style, review flashcards, do practice questions and things, etc.), figure out how many hours per day or week or whatever you'll have to study, and make yourself a nice, leisurely study plan that you know you'll be able to stick to. Since you have a whole year, you might as well make your study plan reasonable and not with cramming and stuff. At the same time, I don't think starting to study a whole year in advance is really necessary. Planning, sure, but somewhere around 6 months would probably be more than sufficient, providing you can fit in a reasonable amount of studying each week. Also, if you're not going to start studying right away, you might wait a little to buy all of your materials, because stuff might be updated between now and then.

As for study guides, I personally had huge issues with physics and orgo when I took them as classes, so those are the ones I looked for to supplement the EK and TPR I'm using, and I got two excellent books that were recommended to me here on SDN, actually, so I'll pass on that advice to you: "NOVA's The MCAT Physics Book" by Garrett Bhiele and "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language: Translating the Basic Concepts" and part II of that "Second Semester Topics" by David Klein. Both break down the topics to the absolute basics and take you slowly and gently up from there - I'm finding it extremely helpful. Best of luck!