Study habits/strategies for Orgo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpdaman11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be starting OChem this fall as a freshman. I've heard the infamous stories about it and how it might be hard to develop a good study habit. I can sit for long periods at a time without distraction and I can focus; my parents made me develop that ability as a young child when they gave me work to do for the next year. I know that I will not only have to regurgitate information, but I must be able to apply it. That being said, did anyone develop a certain strategy or study habit while taking the class? Any information will be helpful regarding flash cards, notes, etc. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I liked my 3D modeling kit. Good way to internalize the 3D orientations of various organic compounds and practice mental manipulation.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There have been tons of thread on this subject, you can learn everything you need to know using the search function.

I took orgo as a freshman too, and nearly killed my GPA. I can pinpoint the exact thing that got me- once I left high school and my homework was no longer being checked for a grade, I didn't think I had to do it anymore. It was only after escaping the first semester with a B- that I realized doing problems was how you mastered the concepts.

My advice is: 1) Do as many practice problems as you can get your hands on. 2) Take advantage of the professor's office hours and study sessions with the TAs. 3) Don't fall behind.

Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be starting OChem this fall as a freshman. I've heard the infamous stories about it and how it might be hard to develop a good study habit. I can sit for long periods at a time without distraction and I can focus; my parents made me develop that ability as a young child when they gave me work to do for the next year. I know that I will not only have to regurgitate information, but I must be able to apply it. That being said, did anyone develop a certain strategy or study habit while taking the class? Any information will be helpful regarding flash cards, notes, etc. Thank you!
Focus on the logic and reasoning rather than memorizing. that means more practicing and less reading the lecture slides!

Practice problems, flash cards for specific reactions, write a table to explain differences between SN1/2 and E1/2... and find out FAST if you really understand electrochemical trends on the periodic table. I found out the hard way that my Chem 1 prof had skipped a lot of basic but rrrrrrealllllly critical stuff. If it seems unfamiliar, don't fake like you know what's going on: seek help immediately. That stuff does not stop being important.

Read the material multiple times and watch YouTube videos. The more and different times you hear/learn something the easier it becomes to comprehend and apply. That being said, focus most of your time on this class. Learn the material good so you can be prepared for Organic Chemistry 2. Also make sure you read the material before the actual lecture. This way you'll be more engaged and you won't have trouble keeping up with the pace of the class. A lot of material but a little time. Good luck!

One piece of advice I have going into Orgo is pretending like you love the class and that it is your favorite. I maintained this mindset all semester, telling my friends I loved it as a joke. For some reason I think this mindset psychologically changed how I approached the class, and in the end I really did end up liking it and I got A's in lecture and lab.

Many people go in saying "I hate this class and I'll just wing it". How are you supposed to give your best effort with that mindset?

Reactions: 3 users
Definitely be aware as a freshman that college is nothing like high school! I got absolutely DUNKED ON in one of my classes first semester thinking I could slide by. @flyingeagle and @pageantry hit the nail straight on the head. Do those practice problems and love them. Take them out to dinner. Make sweet love to them. Organic is your wife now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
in addition to what's above, I'd say don't be afraid to adapt your study strategies mid-course/in between courses. While this is true for all courses, I found it especially true for the OChem sequence. My 1st semester prof was heavily conceptual and unpredictable....got me into a steady habit of rewriting my notes and thoroughly understanding them. My 2nd semester prof was formulaic and straightforward, leading me to spend my time simply doing practice problems and mastering the content he handed out (as it directly mirrored exams). For a while in 2nd semester I kept rewriting my notes before realizing I was largely wasting my time and could vastly cut down on study time (with continued success) by just referencing my original notes when necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you to all of those who commented on this post with their strategy. I will definitely mix them and see what works best for me. I hope I can ace this class, since I do love chemistry more than any other science subject.

Reactions: 2 users
Learn and understand mechanisms. That way, you can apply the logic to most any reaction. Never understood why people opted to cram and regurg rather than learn the rationale behind something. The latter is SO much easier, and invaluable to the study of organic chemistry (coming from an OChem researcher, TA, Lecturer). Also, it's an elegant subject when properly understood (and a pain in the arse when not).

I recommend waiting a year to take it of it is not too late. I took it as a freshman and it was the only weak point on my application... Even 10 years later, I was asked about it. I was just not used to university courses! (And I was a nationally ranked science student in high school).
wait so they ask about college classes/grades for residency?

Thank you to all of those who commented on this post with their strategy. I will definitely mix them and see what works best for me. I hope I can ace this class, since I do love chemistry more than any other science subject.
Be forewarned that organic chemistry is much different from your standard gen.chem/high school chem. Little math, more visualization.

Get orgo as a second language and read it before hand. Enjoy your semester. :)

Make sure you're not taking it with other difficult classes (pairing it with bio and gen eds: Fine. with calc-based physics: probably not)

ochem is not gen chem, so you may not love it. I would also take it sophomore year but if you want to take the risk go ahead

Also, it's not really touched on much, but make sure you're efficient at orgo. You should be 100% comfortable with things like analyzing stereochemistry, carrying out acid base reactions before exam time. Mistakes will kill your grade if you're not diligent with practice beforehand.

Yeah and recognize which one is a better acid/base. THose always got me

Also, it's not really touched on much, but make sure you're efficient at orgo. You should be 100% comfortable with things like analyzing stereochemistry, carrying out acid base reactions before exam time. Mistakes will kill your grade if you're not diligent with practice beforehand.
like your avatar

Hey, sophomore here. Took orgo as a freshman as well so I relate to your anxiety as it was me a summer ago. I would really recommend finding the actual textbook you'll be needing for the course and begin reading that instead. I read the first 5 chapters and did the practice problems which ended up being all the first exam was on, so the review of the content led me to get a really good grade on that test, haha.

I'd also just really advise prioritizing the class, meaning taking atleast an hour or two out to read the book and practice problems every day. This is easier said than done, but it's really important to maintain a strict schedule around how you go about reading and studying for this class. But, having learned this the hard way, be sure to also know when to stop focusing on orgo and concentrate on other classes! I finished my first quarter with a great grade in orgo but horrible one in math...

Lastly, like what everyone else said, be sure to practice, think logically and conceptually through EVERYTHING, and go to as many study sessions/office hours as possible. Orgo is difficult but definitely doable as a freshman :)

Read and work through Organic Chemistry as a Second Language. Then write the mechanisms as many times as it takes to memorize them.

/end thread.

Seriously. It is as easy as that. Don't over think it or let yourself be scared by what you hear. That book makes it simple.

Read and work through Organic Chemistry as a Second Language. Then write the mechanisms as many times as it takes to memorize them.

/end thread.

Seriously. It is as easy as that. Don't over think it or let yourself be scared by what you hear. That book makes it simple.
+1

Man I miss O-chem, those were some good times

I found it most helpful to learn through practice problems and to repeat practice problems that I felt were good examples of a concept that may be tested. I also found that time pressure was an issue during exams so I tried to practice at getting faster at solving problems and writing out mechanisms so that I wouldn't be as time crunched.

Best of luck!

I just came to this thread to say how much I miss organic chemistry already and I've only been done with it <1 month. Shame they decreased the load on the MCAT too. It's seriously too fun, call me a nerd. I learned to love it by becoming crazy good at it. One thing that stuck with me from that class is, if you put your mind to something, you can be great at it. I was so intimidated going into it but I ended up rocking every exam through the ACS because I wanted to be the best in my class at it. Commit to greatness, OP. Don't let anyone else score higher then you. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
my scores went up with time - learn your professor well. While everyone here gives you great advice, likely your professor will have a very narrow view and way of teaching. So learn his patterns. and how he tests. The format. Some had multiple choice, the majority have fill in the blank. maybe a mix. But the extent and the type of questions for your specific professor - that will be the most important.

Your best bet is to get hands on past tests. Or talk to someone in detail who has taken him before.

Other than that: practice, practice, practice. The idea of things settling is so still kind of funny, but could not be more true. You wake up 3 days after hammering a topic and learn you know something.

Here are a few more off the top of my head:

1.) HNMR is no joke. You will need a lot of practice with it.
2.) dont neglect the easy sections. They are good point boosters.
3.) go to class. Hints are often dropped about test material.
4.) practice every day for a few hours
5.) Before you go to bed go through a mechanism. and sleep on it. Let it be the last thing u think before sleep.
6.) make flashcards. they help.
7.) second language helps. But its made for every single student out there. you will often see "check what your textbook says". My friends treated it as a holly grail. and neglected the specifics the professor wanted. the type of specifics that show from a professor's personal experience with the material.
8.) dont pay attention to what other people are doing. My classmates did 150 hnmr problems a day. Others only read second language. Listen to what works for YOU.
9.) Wade organic chemistry is a golden classic. Its solution manual is amazing too. Its also cheap cause fairly old. But the principles havent changed.
10.) if you are taking the ACS exam at the end. Get the study guide now. Not later. Go through it as you cover material. Sometimes teachers get exact type of questions from there.

Good luck ! :cat:

Know about pKa, acids and bases. Also pay attention in the lab section and understand how to use extraction/analytical techniques.

It is not enough to memorize reaction mechanisms. You must learn the logic behind how you push electrons.

You will need to do lots of practice problems to cement this knowledge.

Thank you all for your advice. I'm starting soon! I'm psyched. Btw, are there any Umich students on here who could offer me some past materials that I could use?