Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Study it up, How long did you spend?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by PreMeddieRick, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I asked this down in the MCAT discussions, but I think that more people will respond here. When studying for the MCAT how much time did you honestly REALLY spend studying. I heard that 36-40s spend upwards to 300 hours studying for the thing. What do you think? :idea:

2. Gleevec

Gleevec Peter, those are Cheerios
    7+ Year Member

That might be a little overboard.

Maybe 150-200ish.

But I mean, that doesnt count "studying" you did in college that could be applied to the MCAT.

In any case, it really doesnt matter how much you study, because people work at different speeds and absorb info differently.

Thats why practice tests are so good, they give you a chance to gauge what you actually learned. Because I can guarantee you, not all people who studied 300+ hrs got 35+, nor did all 35+ students studying 300+ hours.

3. I meant as a general rule I heard that? I am just curious how many hours people have dedicated.

4. I think I spent around 7-8 hours a day (including the time I sat in Kaplan lectures and watching Kaplan videotapes), 7 weeks or so. I think I took Sundays off. So that's around 300-330 hours.

5. Pinkertinkle

Pinkertinkle 2003 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I know someone who broke 36 doing two hours a day for a month during full time work. Depends a lot on studying and test taking skills.

6. True true. I felt I studied too much, after a while nothing was really sinking in anymore. :)

What I did that I found useful was to bookmark (with those little sticky Post-It thingies) the pages in my Kaplan books that were especially tough, yet high-yield. You know, those really useful tables that just needed to be memorized before the test. I then spent a day or two before the test just looking over those pages.

7. Spitting Camel

Spitting Camel Anteater for Life!
    7+ Year Member

Blade, you are in Hawaii, right? Was Hawaii your first choice? What was your MCAT score, if you don't mind...

8. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    not including actual lecture time and taking notes...studying for the actual test was just a couple of days. i retain pretty well during lectures so i didnt have to do too much.

9. Elizabeth1028

Elizabeth1028 busy busy bee
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I studied between around 35-40 hrs/week (that includes time spent in the Princeton Review MCAT class) from the end of Jan up to the April MCAT ... I thought it paid off pretty well.

10. relentless11

relentless11 Going broke and loving it
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Depends on the person. Some need to study more while others study less. For me, 2-4hrs per weekday, while a total of 8-12hrs on weekends. I found the big thing to do is to get all subject areas covered a month or two before the real MCAT even if your MCAT class hasn't covered it yet. Allows you to adjust your study habits and focus early.

It was easier for me though since I've taken a great deal of the advanced courses for the subjects found in the science sections. Its not that i know more advanced stuff, i just had to deal with it more times than most people. Repetition is the key. MCAT wasn't that bad, it was all hyped up just like OChem and PChem were.

I got a 34, works for me. Oh yea, Verbal Reasoning, took most of my time with regards to effort. I did them well, but time wise, i was slow, so I had to put in more effort at speeding up but not at the cost of accuracy.

11. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    A ****ing Lot Of Time

12. Henna

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Multiple copies, I am closing this one.

13. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.