Study Music for Medical School!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here are some a couple I would recommend:

• Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata
  • Rachmaninoff's Op.23, No.5

I love Moonlight! It's so sad but so good! I've realized that most of the art music I like is either from the Classical Period or the Romantic Period. Gregorian chant didn't really do it for me.:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I love Moonlight! It's so sad but so good! I've realized that most of the art music I like is either from the Classical Period or the Romantic Period. Gregorian chant didn't really do it for me.:laugh:

Well Bach, Vivaldi, Telemann, etc are not exactly Gregorian chant. That's baroque. And Rachmaninoff borders on modern with his slight atonality. Gregorian chant is pretty good if you like it, but it isn't classified as "classical" music. I'd suggest you try Santo Domingo de Silos. You might reconsider when you listen to a piece like this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ela-Z7HqqS8[/youtube]

And this is one of their best pieces, but I couldn't find the full piece for free: http://listen.artistdirect.com/nad/window/media/page/0,,193585-557782,00.html

The name of the piece is Alleluia, Beatus Vir Qui Suffert (Modo I).

By the way, I am an atheist, but I love this music for the sake of music. Try yoga or other forms of meditation. It hardly gets any better or more peaceful than this; all the recordings were done in a remote church in Spain. This is not exactly a commercial recording since these particular monks don't like the commercial world. In fact, they have stopped recording. There are some other Benedictine monk chants, but I think these are the only worthy ones because they are genuine and sincere.

Well Bach, Vivaldi, Telemann, etc are not exactly Gregorian chant. That's baroque. And Rachmaninoff borders on modern with his slight atonality. Gregorian chant is pretty good if you like it, but it isn't classified as "classical" music. I'd suggest you try Santo Domingo de Silos. You might reconsider when you listen to a piece like this:

[youtube]ela-Z7HqqS8[/youtube]

And this is one of their best pieces, but I couldn't find the full piece for free: http://listen.artistdirect.com/nad/window/media/page/0,,193585-557782,00.html

The name of the piece is Alleluia, Beatus Vir Qui Suffert (Modo I).

By the way, I am an atheist, but I love this music for the sake of music. Try yoga or other forms of meditation. It hardly gets any better or more peaceful than this; all the recordings were done in a remote church in Spain. This is not exactly a commercial recording since these particular monks don't like the commercial world. In fact, they have stopped recording. There are some other Benedictine monk chants, but I think these are the only worthy ones because they are genuine and sincere.

I didn't mean to come off like I thought they were Gregorian chants, just that my preference seems to float among Classical and Romantic. I know alot of people call all this kind of music "classical music" which is a misnomer. I try to call it "art music," and oddly enough, my teacher does the same thing.

The creepiest thing we did was listen to some vocal work done by the last castrato. I can't remember his name, but he was in the Vatican choir which had just begun to record music. It was pretty cool to listen to recordings that were more than/almost a century old, but his voice itself was pretty unsettling, lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
The creepiest thing we did was listen to some vocal work done by the last castrato. I can't remember his name, but he was in the Vatican choir which had just begun to record music. It was pretty cool to listen to recordings that were more than/almost a century old, but his voice itself was pretty unsettling, lol.

Enjoy:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv-S3uoeTXg[/youtube]

For those who don't know, castrato is basically a practice where the boys' testicles are cut for the purposes of higher pitched voice. This music is not a chant. I don't care for it either.

don't understand how you guys can study with music. my gf is the same way. i generally need silence or background chatter. :cool:

Classical music is great studying music, however I prefer to listen to terrible 80's music on study breaks it tends to elevate my mood substantially.
ex
Never gonna let you down
Come on eileen
I ran
Don't you want me baby
Spin me right round
Only the best... of the worst :confused:

anything by medtner.
if you're into piano music, get the schultz-evler transcription of the Blue Danube Waltz. lhevinne plays it and i'm working on it.
always puts a smile on my face :)

I can't really get in to classical music as study music. I enjoy it but when i'm studying I tend to listen to either chill electronica (Massive Attack, Boards of Canada, Ulver, etc) or indie (Iron & Wine, Gravenhurst, etc) or soundtracks.

I actually just got the soundtrack for the HBO series Rome and it's perfect study music for me...Lush, interesting, a great mix of instruments, while still able to disappear in to the background when I'm really concentrating on something.

Oh, and Gregorian chants...I don't know why, but I love listening to them while studying.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread but how can no one mention Liszt (one the most technically and musically difficult composers). And as usual Bach is always great.Glenn Gould has great recordings and youtube videos of Bach's works. He technique was flawless. Gould was and absolutely brilliant and eccentric interpreter of Bach's work.

Last edited:
Boston, DMB, De La Soul, Shiny Toy Guns, BT, and movie scores by Howard Shore, Hans Zimmer, and Clint Mansell. Mainly electronic, hip-hop, or rock.

I love classical for studying, and especially recommend Haydn, particularly the pieces from "The Creation"- Awake the Harp, The first day, The Heavens are Telling
Also most enya works well as well as surprisingly Van Halen (especially great for when you're pulling an allnighter studying something like ochem and need to be kept up the song "Jump" def helps stay up)

Try
Robert Schumann-Carnaval
Paganini-Rhapsody
Johann Sebastian Bach- Orchestral Sute No. 3 In D, Air