study music??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sike08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey i dont know if this is the right forum to ask this in but who here listens to classical music when they study?

if u do where do u get your music from? i dont know too much about composers so i dont know what is good. i really enjoy straight piano, cello, or violin. sometimes jazz but mainly classical piano.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I listen to a lot of classical soundtrack music when I study. I have a playlist in my iPod that contains Lord of the Rings, Braveheart, John Williams, The Patriot, etc etc. Just like it's played in the background of movies, playing it in the background of my studies helps me focus, blots out distracting noises around me, and makes the learning process easier. Soundtracks are awesome!!

maybe try pandora.com? I've been using that for a while and found out a bunch of new artists. The downside is the free pandora is only 40 hours/month or something, but since you can have unlimited access for only .99$ more, it's not that big a deal.

i generally listen to music while studying- generally song instrumentals.

Members don't see this ad :)
I study to deicide and lamb of god, but I am not your typical premed. Slacker radio is like Pandora but there is not a limit, but you can only skip 6 songs an hour, but they do have a classical station. A couple I think. I know they are available for blackberry, and probably on the internet as well.

Gladiator, Rudy, Last of the Mohicans, Last Samurai.

I also have a CD called "The Greatest Classical Album Ever"

Question: Do instrumental movie soundtracks qualify as "classical"? I know that classical technically refers to a musical period (following baroque, and preceding the romantic period). If it is not accurate to refer to such music as "classical" then what do you call it?

post-rock, ambient, and instrumental music does the trick for me. like:

Mogwai
Arvo Part
Do Make Say Think
Clint Mansell
Explosions in the Sky
Brian Eno
Tortoise
A Silver Mt. Zion
Eluvium
Stars of the Lid
Steve Reich
Johann Johannsson

I listen to a lot of classical soundtrack music when I study. I have a playlist in my iPod that contains Lord of the Rings, Braveheart, John Williams, The Patriot, etc etc. Just like it's played in the background of movies, playing it in the background of my studies helps me focus, blots out distracting noises around me, and makes the learning process easier. Soundtracks are awesome!!
John Williams did The Patriot, too. :)

I love the LoTR soundtracks. I have been using them on my alarm clock for nearly a decade at this point. I like the ones that start out mild then get epic in about a minute. Gives me a finite amount of time to get out of bed before I get blasted with it, especially since my alarm clock's volume increases slowly until you turn it off. :eek:

Haha, I would definitely get too distracted thinking about LotR if I tried listening to the soundtracks while studying!

OP, if you're looking for some straight piano that won't be too distracting in terms of dramatic tempo, dynamics, etc I'm a huge fan of Chopin's waltzes and nocturnes. They're interesting enough to keep me from getting bored but they aren't as distracting as his ballades or scherzos.

Last edited:
I highly recommend Vitamin String Quartet if you want classical music to study to. They have hundreds of hours of covers from Radiohead, the Killers, Snow Patrol, Paramore, some rap songs.... basically everything.

I highly recommend Vitamin String Quartet if you want classical music to study to. They have hundreds of hours of covers from Radiohead, the Killers, Snow Patrol, Paramore, some rap songs.... basically everything.
This sounds awesome. I'm e-mailing this to myself right now. :thumbup::thumbup:

I actually really like to listen to Indian music when I am studying. That way, I still get to listen to the singing, but I don't get distracted by the lyrics because I have no idea what is being said. It works out pretty well for me.

Mogwai
Arvo Part
Do Make Say Think
Clint Mansell
Explosions in the Sky
Brian Eno
Tortoise
A Silver Mt. Zion
Eluvium
Stars of the Lid
Steve Reich
Johann Johannsson

You forgot 'Sigur Ros'

John Williams did The Patriot, too. :)

I love the LoTR soundtracks. I have been using them on my alarm clock for nearly a decade at this point. I like the ones that start out mild then get epic in about a minute. Gives me a finite amount of time to get out of bed before I get blasted with it, especially since my alarm clock's volume increases slowly until you turn it off. :eek:

Haha, wow you are definitely correct lol. Now that I look at it, my soundtrack playlist is mostly populated by John Williams music lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't listen to classical music, but I do listen to music when I study. When I get tired of my collection I use Pandora - it's a great way to listen to a whole lot of music that you might not otherwise be exposed to. I know I "discovered" some of my favorite bands from Pandora.

Look up Gustav Holst. He composed The Planets, Suite #1 in E flat, and Suite #2 in F. All three of those are excellent pieces of music. I don't listen to much classical-type music other than those 3 pieces.

just go to pandora.com. it's free (with a 40 hr/month limit I've discovered) and type in the name of an artist. I like Chopin. soft, piano music. :)

I go with Mozart or Bach. Some of the other classical musicians I like, such as Chopin, are a bit too much. I also get down to some Miles Davis and the like while studying. While I am not studying though, you can find anything from The Dead Kennedys to Queen in my "CD player" (which is really an IPOD). I just try not to listen to anything too fast or with words while I am studying.

Look up Gustav Holst. He composed The Planets, Suite #1 in E flat, and Suite #2 in F. All three of those are excellent pieces of music. I don't listen to much classical-type music other than those 3 pieces.

Holst is great. And if you liked him, other listeners also enjoy Percy Grainger...

And for some Swedish Death Metal, Meshuggah...

But the Allegretto from Beethoven's 7th is one of my "let me hear this one more time before I die" pieces.

I agree, I really enjoy Vitamin String Quartet.

When I didn't really know what type of classical music I would like, I went to Best Buy or whatever and just bought a bunch of classical CDs. I like to listen to anything played by a piano, violin, or cello. I'm nerdy and play a few instruments so after doing homework and listening to it, I always want to go practice. :D

I doooo. Lots of movie soundtracks.

Also, check out: Ludovico Einaudi. Great for studying.

[YOUTUBE]dZn_VBgkPNY[/YOUTUBE]

I play the Mortal Kombat theme song on repeat while I study. It really gets me pumped up and motivated.

Kqq / r^2 = FATALITY

Mogwai
Arvo Part
Do Make Say Think
Clint Mansell
Explosions in the Sky
Brian Eno
Tortoise
A Silver Mt. Zion
Eluvium
Stars of the Lid
Steve Reich
Johann Johannsson

This is what I listen to as well. You should try El ten eleven, they're like explosions in the sky. Pelican is sweet too.

So this is coming from a Music major...

I've found the best stuff to listen to is Neo-Nationalist music...

So we're talking Aaron Copland, Ralph Vaughn-Williams, etc. Very mellow and soothing, but full of emotion :)

Mogwai
Arvo Part
Do Make Say Think
Clint Mansell
Explosions in the Sky
Brian Eno
Tortoise
A Silver Mt. Zion
Eluvium
Stars of the Lid
Steve Reich
Johann Johannsson
Agreed. :D
Love the long instrumentals when I study.

I also really like electronic music, things like Trance etc...

I don't listen to as much classical but I do listen to movie/game soundtracks with a lot if symphonic music.

I think I just had an acid flashback.

Check this one out.

[YOUTUBE]ZT08TGWAnGA[/YOUTUBE]

Someone needs to show this to my ex girlfriend. I dated her for three years and I swear she never once farted. I even tried to force it: I went on jogs with her, intentionally took the stairs, tickle fights, went to Chipotle, told funny jokes...nothing! No wonder she was so high strung all the time.

I love classical music when I am studying. I use the free radio stations on windows media player and listen to whatever comes on. But I just finished my last two finals today. . .no studying for over two months now. YAY!!! :)

Pandora: Chris Botti, Classical Music

Other: DMB, Eric Clapton, SRV, John Mayer

:thumbup:

I actually really like to listen to Indian music when I am studying. That way, I still get to listen to the singing, but I don't get distracted by the lyrics because I have no idea what is being said. It works out pretty well for me.

haha me too!Even though I don't know what's being said I'll see myself "singing" the songs and then look up the lyrics! I got a basic Hindi vocab going ;) I also listen to some Italian and Spanish as well

Also, check out: Ludovico Einaudi. Great for studying.

I second this. LE is a great composer. I love piano and his songs are perfect background music for studying. Good for journaling, writing, or quiet contemplation as well.

I use pandora. I have a Rachmaninov station that is my favorite classical station. I like their preset piano concerti and string ensemble stations. I also have an Asian Underground station that I really love studying to that I built off of the artists Karsh Kale and Talvin Singh.

I use pandora. I have a Rachmaninov station that is my favorite classical station. I like their preset piano concerti and string ensemble stations. I also have an Asian Underground station that I really love studying to that I built off of the artists Karsh Kale and Talvin Singh.

Same here, Pandora is great. I have a Bach channel on mine. Love listening to classical after 13 years of playing the piano :)

This is what I listen to as well. You should try El ten eleven, they're like explosions in the sky. Pelican is sweet too.

Pelican is great, especially Fire in Our Throats. I think I have some El Ten Eleven...if I recall correctly they remind me of Do Make Say Think.

You forgot 'Sigur Ros'

I find the vocals on Takk and Agaetis too distracting for study music. Their instrumental stuff and ( ) work ok for studying.

No love for fratmusic.com?

Gorgeous cello CD: "The Most Relaxing Cello Album in the World Ever"

I'm a music major. Cello Cello Cello :]

Also Schumann's Fantasie Pieces - cello and piano features.

Mogwai
Arvo Part
Do Make Say Think
Clint Mansell
Explosions in the Sky
Brian Eno
Tortoise
A Silver Mt. Zion
Eluvium
Stars of the Lid
Steve Reich
Johann Johannsson

I just have to say that I'm pretty sure you are the coolest person I have seen on here. An atheist that studies to ambient/post-rock music? All I can say is you have great taste.

I have found that cirque du soleil's -Alegria is some of the most amazing music I've heard in a while. I went to go see a performance and was blown away. I definately recommend that you check out the music and if you have time see a show, amazing

I just have to say that I'm pretty sure you are the coolest person I have seen on here. An atheist that studies to ambient/post-rock music? All I can say is you have great taste.

Seldom do we see suchlike people. But others don't appreciate such a talent.

I just spectate on TF2 and listen to that in the background. Makes connecting to a server faster too since I'm already on one.

Mogwai
Arvo Part
Do Make Say Think
Clint Mansell
Explosions in the Sky
Brian Eno
Tortoise
A Silver Mt. Zion
Eluvium
Stars of the Lid
Steve Reich
Johann Johannsson

:thumbup:

I also find some good modern classical or ambient to work well while studying. Try:

The Dead Texan
Balmorhea
Helios
Bibio
William Basinski (Disintegration Loops)
Goldmund
Library Tapes
Richard Skelton
Max Richter
Peter Broderick
The Sight Below

Some quieter folk-ish music is good if just studying notes or something...I find vocals distracting while trying to read.

Try Grooveshark for a decent source of free and searchable streaming music (sort of like Lala...RIP).

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w5Z2GCkt6E&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyeOMyXYz7Q[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pad1KBf-yg&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

You're all welcome :D

March of the trolls. Decent composition. I might decide to link it.

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile app.