Study on the selection criteria for EM residency applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This article addresses some of the common concerns that I have seen in this forum

Abstract.Objectives: To determine the criteriaused by emergency medicine (EM) residency selectioncommittees to select their residents, to determinewhether there is a consensus among residency pro-grams, to inform programs of areas of possible incon-sistency, and to better educate applicants pursuingcareers in EM.

Methods: A questionnaire consistingof 20 items based on the current Electronic ResidencyApplication Service (ERAS) guidelines was mailed tothe program directors of all 118 EM residencies inexistence in February 1998. The program directorswere instructed to rank each item on a five-pointscale (5 = most important, 1 = least important) as to its importance in the selection of residents. Follow-up was done in the form of e-mail and facsimile.

Results: The overall response rate was 79.7%, with 94of 118 programs responding.
Items ranking as most important (4.0?5.0) in the selection process included:EM rotation grade (meanSD = 4.790.50), inter-view (4.620.63), clinical grades (4.360.70), andrecommendations (4.110.85).
Moderate emphasis(3.0?4.0) was placed on: elective done at program di-rector?s institution (3.751.25), U.S. Medical Li-censing Examination (USMLE) step II (3.340.93),interest expressed in program director?s institution(3.301.19), USMLE step I (3.280.86), andawards/achievements (3.160.88).
Less emphasis(<3.0) was placed on Alpha Omega Alpha Honor So-ciety (AOA) status (3.011.09), medical schoolattended (3.000.85), extracurricular activities(2.990.87), basic science grades (2.880.93),publications (2.870.99), and personal statement(2.750.96).
Items most agreed upon by respondents(lowest standard deviation, SD) included EM rotationgrade (SD 0.50), interview (SD 0.63), and clinicalgrades (SD 0.70). Of the 94 respondents, 37 (39.4%)replied they had minimum requirements for USMLEstep I (195.1113.10), while 30 (31.9%) replied theyhad minimum requirements for USMLE step II(194.2714.96).
Open-ended responses to ??other??were related to personal characteristics, career/goals,and medical school performance.

Conclusions: The selection criteria with the highest mean values as re-ported by the program directors were EM rotationgrade, interview, clinical grades, and recommenda-tions. Criteria showing the most consistency (lowestSD) included EM rotation grade, interview, andclinical grades. Results are compared with thosefrom previous multispecialty studies.

For the full article, click here: http://www.saem.org/download/54_60.pdf;) ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Gosh that post makes me happy. Thank you. :love: