Study Plan for content review?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

impatientcollegestudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see most if not all of the study plans here place an emphasis on practice questions and tests a lot more than content review, so I assume they are are all geared for students who do not need content review or remember mostly everything from their pre-reqs. Is there a study plan out there for someone like me? I need to do content review first and I need a serious refresher, I forgot almost everything :( . The only things I remember are stuff from Bio 1 but physics, ochem, and gen chem...I completely forgot everything guys =\. What do you guys suggest for me to do or buy?

Members don't see this ad.

TBR materials are very in-depth in their review so definitely take a look at those

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't that method a little outdated?
Isn't that method a little outdated?

The SN2ed method is still excellent for content review and practice problems. It's the most in depth study schedule you can find out there. For the new MCAT I suggest that you incorporate the KAPLAN books along with Next Step MCAT 2015/2016 prep materials spaced throughout the schedule. As for practice tests, substitute some of the old practice tests with the new FL's out there.

The SN2ed method is still excellent for content review and practice problems. It's the most in depth study schedule you can find out there. For the new MCAT I suggest that you incorporate the KAPLAN books along with Next Step MCAT 2015/2016 prep materials spaced throughout the schedule. As for practice tests, substitute some of the old practice tests with the new FL's out there.
Which nextstep material do you suggest using? A lot of people do not really mention their actual books but their exams instead. Are those the materials you're referring to?

Which nextstep material do you suggest using? A lot of people do not really mention their actual books but their exams instead. Are those the materials you're referring to?

I recommend getting the CARS passages from Next Step for more CARS practice (I believe its 108 passages they offer) and their Psych and Socio strategies and practice book NOT the content review. You can get their tests too but there are other companies such as Gold Standard and Kaplan that offer them too

I see most if not all of the study plans here place an emphasis on practice questions and tests a lot more than content review, so I assume they are are all geared for students who do not need content review or remember mostly everything from their pre-reqs. Is there a study plan out there for someone like me? I need to do content review first and I need a serious refresher, I forgot almost everything :( . The only things I remember are stuff from Bio 1 but physics, ochem, and gen chem...I completely forgot everything guys =\. What do you guys suggest for me to do or buy?

I graduated from college a few years ago and joined the workforce (OPO World & Tissue Donation). Last year I had planned for an August MCAT, but a few things came up in my personal life and now I am studying and aiming for a May MCAT (if all goes well!). I started my studying last week with SN2ed method and quickly got overwhelmed! TBR is is very detailed and complete...but having not seen that material in a while...well, let's just say I got a headache. I was reading closely and doing the the practice questions right and not fully understand why I chose that answer. That's when I decided I needed to do SOMETHING to help jog my memory a bit before I could fully commit to studying using the Sn2ed method. And so I decided to watch MCAT videos. For psych/soc I went with Khan and for the sciences I'm going with Chad's Videos. I'm not sure if I'll watch all the videos before restarting Sn2ed's study schedule at this point or just watch a related video prior to cracking open the books for each assigned day. I will say that having watched a few MCAT videos now (sometimes at 2x speed), I feel a lot more comfortable reading TBR.

I was like you, super super weak on content and forgot everything from pre-reqs. Couldn't even tell you the proper nucleotides in DNA, and the plans on here were heavily oriented on practice and less oriented on content. It makes sense though -- because you'll realize the MCAT isn't super super memorization heavy for details, but requires a strong grasp in understanding general concepts and how they relate to each other. The point of content review (or rather, learning) is to become so familiar that the concepts & terms mentioned in the MCAT passage provokes familiarity and understanding /quickly/. You don't have time to rack your brains, honestly. You have to be quick on your feet. The only way to do that is through being familiar with the content, which just needs to be at a general, broad (but not superficial) level.

Just do what feels right. If you feel super uncomfortable doing practice, then spend time getting a strong foundation with content. It can't hurt. Just make sure you alot your time properly so you don't screw yourself over. You NEED to expose yourself to AAMC questions to grasp the amount of detail you should know, as well as what type of questions they ask and the level of critical thinking required.

I can't ever bring myself to even do practice passages feeling like I didn't know any content, so I waited to do practice only after I went through months and months of content. Lots of people will disagree with me so I'm not saying you should do what I do; this is just what I preferred.

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of people used kaplan on the 509+ thread but many of them didnt take notes on every chapter.

I was considering this as well...but is it worth it? It's like 2 grand...

For me it has been absolutely worth it. It's very helpful to have the structure of a course to help you focus in on the content that's actually on the MCAT to guide your study, because I covered more in my undergraduate coursework for the MCAT subjects than is needed on this test, so in that sense I feel like it was helpful in making my studying as productive as possible. Additionally, they provided great explanations for a lot of the material I was more rusty on, and they also taught me various MCAT specific tricks/mnemonics I don't see how I otherwise would have learned. I've seen significant improvement in test performance from when I started studying until now. I don't take the real thing until the 22nd, but so far I've been very pleased with Kaplan. That being said, it is definitely expensive, and I'm sure plenty of people do extremely well on the MCAT without a course like this. But for me personally it has been really helpful.

For me it has been absolutely worth it. It's very helpful to have the structure of a course to help you focus in on the content that's actually on the MCAT to guide your study, because I covered more in my undergraduate coursework for the MCAT subjects than is needed on this test, so in that sense I feel like it was helpful in making my studying as productive as possible. Additionally, they provided great explanations for a lot of the material I was more rusty on, and they also taught me various MCAT specific tricks/mnemonics I don't see how I otherwise would have learned. I've seen significant improvement in test performance from when I started studying until now. I don't take the real thing until the 22nd, but so far I've been very pleased with Kaplan. That being said, it is definitely expensive, and I'm sure plenty of people do extremely well on the MCAT without a course like this. But for me personally it has been really helpful.
Thanks for the reply, Did you take the kaplan online course or the self-paced study course?