1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

study routine (undergrad)

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by wasvsdal, May 13, 2007.

1. wasvsdal

5+ Year Member

aite fellas, i know there was a topic posted on study habits for mcats but i need help with studying for these undergrad classes. basically, i havent done any studying up till this point and it is reflected in my GPAs (3.0/2.55)! I have 8 Science Courses left before I graduate, and could bring my science upto a 3.2 and moreover would be getting A's in the upper level classes but I need to buckle down and get this baby going. (8 A's, 3 B's, 3 C's, 1 D if everything from now on falls perfectly)

one of my prof recommended that for science classes, ppl need to read the book twice! once before the lecture (a swift, easy read like a novel), and then after the lecture (focusing reall hard). also do u guys take notes while ur reading?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    yes, and I think it helped me immensely this year in cell bio. I took notes on every single chapter we covered, and the class was a breeze. Personally, I forget some of the small details if I just read without taking notes. Taking notes not only helps get the information engraved into my head, but it also makes exam reviews much quicker and efficient.

If you have the persistence to take reading notes (I'm not gonna lie, it was pretty painful for me :thumbdown: ), then I would highly recommend them. People in my class definitely got by without taking notes, but they were much more borderline and had to sweat it out come final time. It all depends if you're willing to take that kind of risk.

4. eddie13231

eddie13231 Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Reading in classes all depends on the professor and the type of class. If you have a teacher that actually teaches and it is a memorization class (ie biology) I typically don't go to the book unless I don't understand something. I just recopy my notes and memorize them.

However, in a math, chemistry, and physics I will usually read the book and do the problems at the back of the book. This is because problem solving based classes is all based on pratice. I would only do enough problems until I know the concept and just focus on my weak areas.

In your case, I would look into DO schools if you don't get into MD right away (if allopathic is the route you are going as of now). The benifit of this is that the classes you got a D and C's in can be retaken and the grade replaced at most schools. This would probably be much easier and faster than trying to ace every class from now on.

5. wasvsdal

5+ Year Member

I have been reading up on DO schools, and while I do get the feeling that DO Family Physicians are much better prepared than MD's, their options pretty much end there. From what I hear, getting into a residency program with a DO is hard if not impossible.

But if I was to get those 8 A's, would my chances at an MD school be good? haha

Yeah green, taking notes is painful but I also like to take them for the same reasons you mentioned above. Its just the time....ughh they take so long, and then you have like 20 credits of classes!

6. scotties123

scotties123 GrandMacDaddy
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    after u get out of class, go straight to the library and OUTLINE everything u learned that day in each class. it shud take about an hour or 2 for each class but not only will this be a semi-review for u, but ull have notes ready for wen the tests come around. if u want, i can email u a sample of one of my outlines for a class lecture. nothing worth getting in life comes easy.

7. wasvsdal

5+ Year Member

scottie, i would love that bro!!! btw..is this for lecture notes or reading notes?

8. scotties123

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    the way most of my classes have been structured is the teacher posts powerpoint notes that are extremely brief and basically list the general topics. then in class the professor elaborates on everything. I sit in class with my laptop and type everything they say, then go home and find each topic in the book and add whatever seems relevant. its basically a comprehensive review of the lecture/chapter. i use these to study for exams and finals.

9. wasvsdal

5+ Year Member

gothcaa...send it to me sonnn! me want to see notes :hardy:

10. scotties123

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i need ur email...
    so its not a huge file, ill send u one page of a guide i made for my physiology course.

11. wasvsdal

5+ Year Member

check ur pm

12. wasvsdal

5+ Year Member

dawg wtf...that was a virus!!! sikeee

thanks a lot bro!! those looked solid...concise detailed to the point! i just gotta work on my skillz now