1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Study says Doctors Who Wear Ties Could Kill Patients

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by soco, May 3, 2007.

1. soco

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank goodness I now have an excuse to go casual everyday and pretend that I'm better than everyone who is dressed well. Read below, a well dressed doctor could kill you. Where is Doc Bowtie on this one?

"KUALA LUMPUR - Malaysian doctors have declared neckties a health hazard and called on the heath ministry to stop insisting that physicians wear them.

Citing studies that show ties are unhygienic and can spread infection, the Malaysian Medical Association says they are not often washed and carry germs that can cause pneumonia and blood infections, the Star newspaper said on Tuesday.

"And when doctors are doing their clinical rounds, they dangle all over the place," the paper quoted association president Dr Teoh Siang Chin as saying.

But the Star quoted a ministry official as saying it needed more proof that neckties were a danger before it relaxed the dress code for doctors in hospitals.

- REUTERS"

Direct Link: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/story.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10437183&ref=rss
    Blog Link:
    http://scienceblogs.com/effectmeasure/2007/05/are_doctors_neckties_a_health.php

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. eternalrage

eternalrage Even Kal has bad days...
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    "they dangle all over the place"

*snicker

4. mikeinsd

mikeinsd predictably unpredictable
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    apparently they dont make tie clips in kuala lumpur...

(even with a clip though - to stop the dangling - i still agree with the arent often washed part...)

5. eternalrage

eternalrage Even Kal has bad days...
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I hope they find out the same thing about shirts and bras and urge hospitals to ban them.

6. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    These studies have been coming out for years, and there hasn't been much move to ban ties. Get used to dressing up if you aren't in a specialty where scrubs are worn. FWIW, the white coats probably carry more bugs than the ties, since they are changed less frequently.

7. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  8. alwaysaangel

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I love that article. I would totally wear exactly what they doctor is wearing - except perhaps the midrift. :laugh:

9. soco

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That article is way better. You win.

Especially with the “You don’t want to look too attractive to be serious,” she said, adding that “a certain amount of the nerd factor” can help a doctor’s performance.

10. baylormed

baylormed On the Search
    5+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I'm not a guy, so I don't have to wear ties, but I think a good idea is to make shirts with the tie already printed on them.

I guess the only bad thing about that is that you can't mix & match, you would always be wearing the same shirt with the same tie printed on it. :cool:

11. Guile

Guile 1K Member
    5+ Year Member

Thank you for posting a link to a NYTimes article that doesn't require you to login. I despise compulsory web registration.

That is all.

12. jochi1543

jochi1543 President, Gunner Central
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I don't know, I'll have to pass on the visible sternum part.

13. bretticus

bretticus Neuroradiology fellow
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Let me introduce you to Bugmenot then :)

14. Guile

Guile 1K Member
    5+ Year Member

Bugmenot is solid. I have the Firefox extension as well. However the last few times I have tried to use it, the NY Times wouldn't let me login with several of the addresses they had listed. Maybe they try to crack down on this practice... I don't know. But after I try a few of them and they don't work, I've already wasted so much time I hardly want to read the article anymore.

I have shed few tears over not being able to read the NYT. Terrible paper with an agenda, IMHO. (www.timeswatch.com) But some of their science and health articles are slightly redeeming. Regardless, it's going down the toilet. Circulation down 1.9% in the last six months, continuing the trend.

Probably more than anyone cared to hear... :p

15. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    good god... im all for nudity, but I don't want some floozy administering my meds. keep that kind of attire where it belongs -- on the internet.

16. bretticus

bretticus Neuroradiology fellow
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Wow, I've never had any problems, but I don't use it that much either. That sucks :(

17. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Clearly all docs need to switch to the bowtie! :cool::laugh:
    I'd even accept the ascot.

18. Tired

Tired Fading away
    7+ Year Member

This is discussed once in a while over on the residency side. Personally, I think it's a load of bunk, and while lots of studies show colonization of ties (and coats, and hands, and OR headlamps, etc etc), I am unaware of any that actually link ties with increased rates of infection.

If, when you're there, you feel like ties are a bad idea, feel free not to wear them. But also keep in mind that sometimes you have to cut through a lot of propaganda and really critique studies to determine the extent of our actual knowledge.

Also, for the record, the title of this thread is a misnomer, as there was no "study" that declared ties kill patients.

19. MattD

MattD Curmudgeon
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I quit wearing a tie (for the most part) halfway through first year. They dangle, they get in the way, I do believe they have a potential to spread infection (not basing this on any studies, just seems like common sense). Of course I don't wear a polo or anything instead, I wear exactly what I would if I were wearing a tie, except I leave the collar button unbuttoned on my shirt. I don't think it's unprofessional looking, and haven't gotten any comments from higher-ups. I do keep a tie rolled up in my gear bag just in case it becomes politically necessary to throw one on. I find that by ditching the tie, my movements during PE are more natural, I'm not as distracted by clothing 'issues', and my performance is improved overall. This is going to be my policy from here on out unless I catch some major crap from a preceptor about it.

On a side note, when I get a little older I wouldn't mind wearing a bow tie. I just don't think it's a look that goes too well with my 25 year old babyface. Kinda like that tucker carlson guy, sure it's his trademark, but I always thought it made him look like a tool. Gotta have greys to pull it off. But that's just my opinion :)