BNello

7+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2010
South
Status
Medical Student
First and foremost, I would just like to say how helpful everyone has been on SDN. Although quiet, I have been reading posts for a couple of months now and have already learned a great deal about MCAT prep along with SMP's and Med School matriculates...you name it.

Anyways...I have been studying for the August MCAT on and off for about 6 weeks now and can't quite seem to get into a good rhythm. I try and read the EK Books and then take notes on them, but I find myself getting really bored extremely quickly. I want to stay engaged in the material I am reading.

I wanted to know HOW you all studied for the exam? Did you read the material? Did you take notes? Did you make note cards? Do you ask yourself questions while studying? Did you fall asleep on your books and hope for osmosis? :sleep: etc, etc...

Whatever your study habit of choice was, post it and save me from my misery :scared:

Kouger86

10+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Everyone is in the same boat. Not many people enjoy/love to study; it's boring and it sucks. You just got put in valuble time, if u don't see results, u need to give more time, after multiple attempts/study strategies, u will figure out what works for u.

For me, I realized that I need to take less notes and do more problems, so that I can learn from my mistakes and master test taking skills at the same time.

erskine

hit it, H
10+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
i also had severe motivational problems. I borrowed kaplan premier from my public library, and didn't open it for 2 months- just kept renewing it over and over again. What helped me get my mind on track was two things. First, i started going on SDN more often for support with others going through this tedious process, and also so i could get an idea of how much others were studying for this test. It felt like i was behind everyone else, so i was motivated to study just so i could at least be on the same level as them.

Also, i started doing more practice problems, like kouger. They taught me more than the content review, or at least solidified certain important principles more efficiently, AND they're, in my opinion, much more interesting than rote studying. It also helped to have pandora radio playing.

Mar 3, 2010
Status
Try to keep in mind that this is your career you're studying for. It's not going to get any easier. I suggest trying to become more interested in certain subjects by googling/wikipediaing them for their medical relevance to remind yourself of how important it is to know/be good at these things (even though this is ridiculously difficult for organic chemistry because we all know that the subject a basically a religion, and frankly, I don't buy it.).

BNello

7+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2010
South
Status
Medical Student
I agree that practice problems are much more engaging. But just having finished my first practice CBT, I found the test was so different than the stand-alone practice questions. Having a question that is related to a passage some how screws me up every time..

How did everyone learn how to dissect the BS and PS passages? The VR passages I have had some practice with. But I am having a difficult time extracting the most pertinent information from the PS/BS passages..