study/test skills

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zxcv1234

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have subpar study and test taking skills. I would greatly appreciate any help/recommendations for techniques (especially time savers), books or any other resources.

Thanks in advance!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest reading the book before lecture to get familiar with the subject and take notes while reading the book again for the test.

People study differently. I type fast and so I used to type my written notes from class. That was how I reviewed material. For science classes, do all the work problems. For classes with lots of memorization, make flash cards. And of course the most fundamental rule: To increase your scores, study more hours per day all year.

Members don't see this ad :)
It really depends on what is best for you. I can cram and make A's on tests with no problem considering I work best in a stressful situation. But that may not work for you. You might try reading before you get to class and reviewing when you get home so that everything is still fresh in your mind from that day's lecture.

If you know you have a test next week Thursday, start studying a few days in advance so that you're not cramming the night before the test. One of my psychology professors told me that it's probably best not to study at all the night before a test. He said that going to a movie or just relaxing will help you do better.

A few things I've picked up along the way range from notecards to deep breathing. And they've all had some success with me.

Do you have trouble with nerves before an exam? Try the deep breathing.
Need to find a way to carry around notes without having to drag around your notebook? Try the notecards.

Review everything from your lecture that evening, and review before you go back to class. You'd be surprised how much of the info you retain. Also try, at least outwardly, appearing to enjoy the class. I've been told that helps in recalling information for tests as well.

Have you tried study groups? Hope you find something that works. :thumbup: