study time as a PGY-2 rad onc resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyberknife

cyberknife
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i'm getting gearing up to start rad onc residency in a few weeks... trying to map out my schedule with husband's work schedule, day-care, household chores, etc.... on average (obviously some days busier than others), how much time do you devote at home on weekdays and weekends reading textbooks, articles, etc as a PGY-2?

my typical at-work time is looking like 7am-6pm in my rad onc dept, so just trying to get an idea of how you all budget your nights and weekends studying time?

thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

depends on whether your attendings get administrative/research time. if they do, you can usually get some reading in on that day provided there isnt a ton of planning to do on a very busy service. Im in a similar situation as you and tried to read for an hour or so after the kids were in bed. But I took full advantage of any down time at work to read. I didn't read much on weekends..except maybe Sunday nights. I think every program and situation is different, but that was my experience outside of work.