Study Tips for Biochem in the Spring Semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ash_k

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

Was just seeking some advice for taking Biochemistry during the Spring semester. I am taking the course at my university and it is condensed into 6ish weeks compared to the normal 15 weeks. I'm a little nervous about the fast paced nature of spring/summer courses and was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on managing the large amounts of material in such a short amount of time. I am also taking on online course (a sociology course) and beginning a research fellowship (luckily my research mentor is pretty understanding of my class schedule). I would appreciate any suggestions you all may have...thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Learn the Kreb's cycle one step at a time. Recite it using the enzyme and product everyday.

This youtube channel is helpful: Kevin Ahern

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think specific things to learn will be dependent on your curriculum. Mine was actually quite detailed and difficult, because we were also taught with the grad students and in the major series. The two other non-major series were significantly easier.

The best thing I can suggest is quickly find a group to study with! They will know the material you need to know specifically better than us. You will learn so much from a group dynamic, and also build your teamwork skills. Seriously- lifelong friendships are made in biochem groups.

Reactions: 1 user
Also don't care what book you're using, get Lehninger's biochemistry book. You will thank me later.

I think specific things to learn will be dependent on your curriculum. Mine was actually quite detailed and difficult, because we were also taught with the grad students and in the major series. The two other non-major series were significantly easier.

The best thing I can suggest is quickly find a group to study with! They will know the material you need to know specifically better than us. You will learn so much from a group dynamic, and also build your teamwork skills. Seriously- lifelong friendships are made in biochem groups.

That's how it was for me in ochem-stuck with the same group of people for both semesters and found the group dynamic to be super beneficial. Thanks so much!