• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Study Tips for Pharm Step 1

Lily05

5+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2010
  1. Medical Student
    Hi guys,

I did okay in my pharm class; however, I must say that I hardly retained drugs...like I forget quickly for some reasons. Any study tips that worked better for you guys for step 1 preparation???

Thank you

OveractiveBrain

Membership Revoked
    Removed
    Jun 15, 2009
    Dirty Dirt
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      I had a lot of time, and, fortunately for me, a bit of money (I worked before I went to medical school). That let me use Kaplan's video service. And let me tell you, those videos are the BOMB. Lionel, or, lenoil as he refers to himself in the biochem videos CRUSHES pharm and biochem. Both were NOT my best classes but were BOTH my best areas of performance.

Its a cost hindrance and a lot of time. Honestly, if you are like most people, the original responder is right. Use First Aid, memorize whats there and it goes A LONG way.

On making them stick? No clue. Memorization is favored over understanding on Step exams, but I think repetition is great for short-term recovery of nonsense detail information (exactly what you want)

Last edited:
      About the Ads

Lily05

5+ Year Member
      Apr 15, 2010
      1. Medical Student
        Thank you guys for the suggestions!!!

I am actually using Kaplan to prepare for my step. I haven't covered Pharm part yet. So my plan is to use Kaplan with FA...It's quite overwhelming to do both but I have no choice.

Thanks once again

ThePursuit

5+ Year Member
        Jan 6, 2010
        USA! USA! USA!
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          study hard for the shelf and do well (shows you learned the info the first time around). Then use USMLE step I and maybe kaplan to review. Make sure you know WHY, since that will definitely help retention.

Then repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat....learning pharm just requires (for most minds) that you repeat the information over and over since it's not so much conceptual as just raw data.

kdburton

Ulnar Deviant
          10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Sep 3, 2005
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            BRS pharm cards had lots of high yield stuff for my test as far as I can remember. If you have the time to put into it, I think the best resource for learning the material is the Kaplan Videos (the new ones where Lionel is teaching pharm). If you can get your hands on those you'd be in good shape

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.