M

mynameistino

Hi, i was just wondering how everyone here studies? i cant ever study at home because i will end up turning on the music, tv, then eat and sleep. Where do you goto study and how do you keep focus?

Shredder

User
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2004
Status
Medical Student
haha somehow this made me laugh. try the library. use earplugs to block ambient noise (and there can be a lot). various areas tend to be more secluded but can also be a little spooky and lonely. take breaks perhaps every hour or two for bathroom, water, or whatever to avoid monotony and meandering thoughts. maybe reward yourself now and then by jumping on aim or talking to friends, perhaps commiserating.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
If you really need to concentrate, go to the library. it's where I can my most intense studying done. also I set goals, that i have to finish a chapter, 2 pages of a paper, etc by a certain time and then I'll reward myself with something like a phone call (with a limited time). good luck.

OP
M

mynameistino

Psycho Doctor said:
If you really need to concentrate, go to the library. it's where I can my most intense studying done. also I set goals, that i have to finish a chapter, 2 pages of a paper, etc by a certain time and then I'll reward myself with something like a phone call (with a limited time). good luck.
My problem is that i always give myself big rewards. 2 hours of study time and then the reward is 4 hours of video games...and i cant control it...

palminator2003

Sosumi
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2004
Somewhere in New York
Status
Donate your TV and playstation/xbox to a needy child. If you are bored, call a friend, preferably a med student. If they too are studying, then you realize that you better hit the books again instead of goofing off :D

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
mynameistino said:
My problem is that i always give myself big rewards. 2 hours of study time and then the reward is 4 hours of video games...and i cant control it...
ouch!

it's tough love but you (or a close friend) need to pull the plug on the video games and never look back. i'm so glad i never got involved in that stuff.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
palminator2003 said:
Donate your TV and playstation/xbox to a needy child. If you are bored, call a friend, preferably a med student. If they too are studying, then you realize that you better hit the books again instead of goofing off :D
excellent!!! :thumbup:

shantster

Eye protection!
10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Wherever life takes me...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
mynameistino said:
Which is another reason that you should go to the library so that you are away from the distractions of the room. I usually end up locking myself in a study room, which has nothing that allows for distraction, for the two nights before a test so that I just sit and study for multiple hours. And then when I want to give myself a reward, it comes in the form of coffee or something else from the cafe downstairs.

wild0ne

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
Down Under
Status
Try to study as much as you can during the morning/afternoon. I've noticed that I can focus more when I'm not drained after a day of lectures, T.V., emailing, etc. And, if you're really swamped with studies: exercise for an hour between long stretches of studying. It's MUCH better than coffee, and you feel like you just woke up...

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
Seattle, WA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Shredder said:
haha somehow this made me laugh. try the library. use earplugs to block ambient noise (and there can be a lot).
I don't study in the library because the other people are distracting and also because I'm an auditory learner, so I learn things best when I repeat them outloud to myself. I can't really do that at the library, so I end up studying at home, but then I have those same problems (TV, SDN and sleep being available).

GreatDoc222

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2005
Status
Or u can just study so so (just enough to get ur stuff turned in) and pull very late nights/early mornings once in awhile. Did that all through college and made it just fine.

OP
M

mynameistino

ok good advices, tomorrow im going to experiment something. Wake up at 6, do some benches and curls and situps. Then go eat, and head straight to the library and study chemistry till twelve. Head home, bench,curl,situps,eat. SDN. Head to coffee shop, biology till kicked out. home

OP
M

mynameistino

Do you usually switch subjects every two hours? or complete it all the way through the day?

GreatDoc222

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2005
Status
Unless it's finals or you've got the Super nerd gene in ya, I don't think you can study the whole day w/o going crazy....a study buddy always helps keep u focused though.

OP
M

mynameistino

i try to study alot throughout the whole day and try to stay away from my study buddy because he talks to much. what kind of classes do you use study buddy for?

aumed22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2004
Status
In my personal opinion you can't study one subject for more than six hours straight and still be productive. My theory is that your brain is like a sponge and after it becomes saturated you need to let the information soak in, which is what sleep is for. So, study for a while and then take an hour nap or so and let your brain air out. The trick is to be incredibly strong willed and wake up after an hour to go study some more.

GreatDoc222

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2005
Status
u'll need to find a new study partner then - someone more focused than you. Otherwise, you'll be one of those undrgrads who just talks and screws around all the time (only ok when <20% of time). Basically there are two methods i use to study w/ other people: 1) after studying on my own, i would sometimes review w/ other people; 2) someone who is the definition of nerd and doesn't talk much - will keep u focused since u'll feel guilty if you aren't keeping pace.

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
GreatDoc222 said:
Or u can just study so so (just enough to get ur stuff turned in) and pull very late nights/early mornings once in awhile. Did that all through college and made it just fine.
That was me in college. Late nights and early mornings.

I can't really study at home either (e-mail, the option to sleep, eat, tv, and a habit to yap away on the phone). For intense studying, I preferred the school library (usually open late) -- not the "social hour" sections of the library though. The hidden, lonesome spots worked best or a study room. But study rooms drove me mad sometimes (the silence & monotony: sometimes sleep-inducing and strange, random thoughts producing). So, I opted for coffee shops and Barnes & Noble/Borders at times also. I had to basically change my location frequently, you know spice up the study life. :p

As far as study tips themselves: read the text and then study lecture notes. I found lecture notes easily understandable this way. I found myself memorizing very little, as I had already read the text and understood the material.

Alas, I was a huge procrastinator. It worked out just fine though.

wild0ne

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
Down Under
Status
mynameistino said:
ok good advices, tomorrow im going to experiment something. Wake up at 6, do some benches and curls and situps. Then go eat, and head straight to the library and study chemistry till twelve. Head home, bench,curl,situps,eat. SDN. Head to coffee shop, biology till kicked out. home
That's definitely a good start. :thumbup: I need to break a sweat, however, to really get the "brain-drain" to go away. The shower afterwards helps also.

Btw, that workout routine is a lot like my father's. He comes home from work, puts on his PJs, cranks up "Staying Alive" on the stereo, and does the most awkward exercises I've ever seen. It cracks me up when I see him. :laugh:

ElKapitan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2004
Status
For me, I would go to the library early like 9am, on a saturday because I just wake up early. If I was hung over from the night before, I would go for a run, take a shower, drink a lot of water, then a lot of coffee.

From 10am-8pm study, switch from subject to subject, making sure I would be caught up with lecture or maybe be ahead of lecture. Study breaks usually consisted of seeing other people, talking and/or getting something to eat. I can't imagine studying 10 hours without talking to other people, I would go f'ing nuts. So I think video games as a break kinda sucks (even though it is easy to get sucked in for a few hours)

At 8pm figure out what people were doing that night, seek them out and have a good time.

Bigsheed920

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
NY
Status
Psycho Doctor said:
ouch!

it's tough love but you (or a close friend) need to pull the plug on the video games and never look back. i'm so glad i never got involved in that stuff.
actually there was an article in the times about a surgeon who plays games to prep for surgery and asks his residents to do the same. I think games definetly sharpen some motor and coordination skills. I will keep my xbox alive in med school!!

rugirlie

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2003
jersey
Visit site
Status
I disagree... the library is the worst place for me to study. It is way too quiet and I usually end up falling asleep on my book. I would always go to like a 24 hour Dunkin Donuts or something. My friends and I would set up shop and study, talk for a few minutes when we needed a break, and food and drink is right there if you need it. I liked it because it wasn't noisy but it also wasn't dead quiet. Also it was really bright which helped keep me concentrating.

The bottom line is... everyone studies differently. Find what is best for you and stick to it!

OP
M

mynameistino

Wouldnt you be able to learn more if you studied by yourself and not with other people? Because whenever you study in a group, there will be answering questions more than learning. Right?

relema

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
H town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
mynameistino said:
Wouldnt you be able to learn more if you studied by yourself and not with other people? Because whenever you study in a group, there will be answering questions more than learning. Right?
By answering other people's questions you can stregthen your knowledge of what your studying. Haven't you heard that by teaching you learn.

OP
M

mynameistino

relema said:
By answering other people's questions you can stregthen your knowledge of what your studying. Haven't you heard that by teaching you learn.
i guess, but if most of the times you teach in study groups, then you arent learning anything new. you might strengthen the topics your teaching.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Bigsheed920 said:
actually there was an article in the times about a surgeon who plays games to prep for surgery and asks his residents to do the same. I think games definetly sharpen some motor and coordination skills. I will keep my xbox alive in med school!!
i'm sure that's true. however when it becomes a distraction to studying and impinges upon valuable study time, it's time to put it away and save it to use before a surgical procedure...once you make it to a doc. :thumbup:

OP
M

mynameistino

Bigsheed920 said:
Video games can be productive sometimes. I think it helped me get some common sense when i was small.

relema

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
H town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
mynameistino said:
i guess, but if most of the times you teach in study groups, then you arent learning anything new. you might strengthen the topics your teaching.

Oh I agree if I have to learn stuff I have never touched before than I need to study by myself. Once I have covered it I find teaching people the best way to stregthen my understanding of it.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
mynameistino said:
for me the studying in groups only works if you know everyne's abilities before studying. To be useful you all have to be somewhat equally intelligent in the subject; perhaps people have their strengths and weaknesses. Those who know one subject better can help those who have difficulty with a particular concept. Teaching strengthens one's own knowledge of the material and those who don't understand something will now learn it. However if the study group is so unbalanced that someone is doing all the teaching you really need to know that before hand. For me, I don't mind helping others and I do it all the time, but don't do this to me when I need to be sudying myself and this will definitely slow me down. Whenever someone has done this to me, I almost invariably end up pulling an all-nighter. :thumbdown: I'd rather help someone with a particular subject several days before an exam, not the night before.

fateema368

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2005
Minnesota
Status
mynameistino said:
Video games can be productive sometimes. I think it helped me get some common sense when i was small.
:laugh: LOL--Clearly, you've lost some since then!

But really, small groups are excelent. Maybe your reluctant because you haven't found the right one. I would suggest making friends with the smartest people in your toughest subjects, then all you have to do is "join up" with their groups when test time comes around.

red dot

burning, burning
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
chicago
Status
Medical Student
what if by chance you might be the kind that works under pressure? the procrastinating type? if so, then screw work and hang out because there's no use forcing yourself to do something because you're not going to do a good job anyway - for example, some people try to work 2 hrs then watch tv then work 2 hrs etc etc, and they end up doing a ****ty job of learning stuff. i would just go play and then set up enough time for myself to worry.

personally, one of the ways in which i procrastinate by logging on to sdn. reading all you smart/studious/goal-oriented people's posts freak me out. well they help me but they still freak me out sometimes cuz i'm not realllyl that goal-oriented *sigh* -- all i ever wanted to do was deliver babies...