Other OT-Related Information Study/work abroad options in OT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ctra106

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Does anyone know of any OT programs that offer options for studying abroad or other international experiences?

I am studying abroad now in my last year of undergrad and I've caught the "travel bug", so to speak. I would love to continue to travel while pursuing OT as a career, but I don't know how possible this is. Any info is appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I know the program I'm looking at lists it as a possibility. Personally, I would look at the ramifications. Sure, it's fun; and it can give you insight into certain cultures if that's what you want to focus on. But your fieldwork is crucial to entering the field with a leg up: both in experience and in networking. Going abroad could be very useful, or it could put you behind. But it's definitely a possibility from what I've seen.

Reactions: 1 user
does anyone know if it's possible to actually work abroad? I've looked into this and in some countries might be difficult than others. For example Australia requires initial supervision hours and licensing but I'm wondering if it'd be possible in the UK for example.

Members don't see this ad :)
The occupational therapy department at NYU offers a study abroad course in Ghana. The course studies the intersection of disability and culture.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! Does anyone know of any OT programs that offer options for studying abroad or other international experiences?

I am studying abroad now in my last year of undergrad and I've caught the "travel bug", so to speak. I would love to continue to travel while pursuing OT as a career, but I don't know how possible this is. Any info is appreciated! :)

I came across schools that do trips abroad, more like service trips.
Chatham
Shenandoah