studying 9+ hours/day and honoring anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PoorMD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
About one year ago this time, I started a post on here asking about do people really study 6++ hours per day?? I figured I would never do it because I had a "2 hour per day limit in undergrad." ....

Now I realize it's no big deal to clock 9, 10, 11.. 14.. those are crucial for honoring important blocks like anatomy. anyone else have similar study patterns? ive truly hit :gunner: status (only because I actually enjoy anatomy far more than biochem)
PoorMD

Members don't see this ad.

My study pattern is: nothing until 2 weeks before exams. Then 3hrs of sleep a day and an all nighter before the exam. Works like a charm ;)

PoorMD said:
About one year ago this time, I started a post on here asking about do people really study 6++ hours per day?? I figured I would never do it because I had a "2 hour per day limit in undergrad." ....

Now I realize it's no big deal to clock 9, 10, 11.. 14.. those are crucial for honoring important blocks like anatomy. anyone else have similar study patterns? ive truly hit :gunner: status (only because I actually enjoy anatomy far more than biochem)
PoorMD

Dude, I have never heard of anyone studying 9-14 hours a day on a regular basis. Are you including class and lab dissection time in that figure? Even if you are, 14 seems kind of excessive.

Of course, when it gets near exam time, 9 hours is probably on the low end.....haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Study from 9 - 10ish am till 8 PM then hit the bars and chill. So guess I study like 8 ish hours a day, given breaks and social time.
I must say my social life has drastically improved from my undergrad social life.

PoorMD said:

PoorMD

Uh...anatomy? Important? Only if you want rads or surg since it's like 3% of the boards. I think physio is much more important.

Southpawz said:
My study pattern is: nothing until 2 weeks before exams. Then 3hrs of sleep a day and an all nighter before the exam. Works like a charm ;)

At my school, we have tests at least every other week. Don't think this strategy would work so well....I like my sleep :laugh:

Personally, I don't study too much. I need to make time for my family, because they are a big part of my life. I do what I can and try to make the most judicious use of my time possible. But like I said, I LOVE sleep.

socuteMD said:
Uh...anatomy? Important? Only if you want rads or surg since it's like 3% of the boards. I think physio is much more important.

i guess im going for surg so i wanted to do well in anatomy. your right about the phys though. do any of you suggest just consistently studying fotr step 1 even though its over 1 year away?

Southpawz said:

Works, but it kills your body, it throws you completely into chaos. If you studied consistently, u would be still ok.

I'm barely studying more than 4 hours a day, and we have like 1 lecture per week. :D

Sureshot83 said:
Dude, I have never heard of anyone studying 9-14 hours a day on a regular basis. Are you including class and lab dissection time in that figure? Even if you are, 14 seems kind of excessive.

Of course, when it gets near exam time, 9 hours is probably on the low end.....haha.

You know 9hrs is not that much, I mean you can easily do 9 hrs. 14hrs is excessive though, but it depends on ur pattern. Like if you get up at 11 and go to bed at 12, you can more than easily pull 9 hrs, come on that give you solid 4 hrs to do whatever you want. 14 hrs though is excessive and unneccessary. In my opinion its much more imp to pull in the ridiculous hrs right before the exam and review the stuff so its fresh in ur mind. This is of course provided you studied consistently throughout (~4-9hrs per day).

PoorMD said:

PoorMD

Hi there,
As a surgeon, I will be the first to tell you that "it's ALL important". It's not about how MUCH time you put in but how well you learn all of the material. If you love anatomy, that's wonderful but to be a good surgeon, radiologitst, internist, you probably should love everything that will make you a good physician. Surgery is far from "just anatomy" because you first have to be a good internist, radiologist, pathologist before you can be a good surgeon.

If giving yourself the label "gunner" gets it off for you then great but hit everything with vigor. There is a little test called ABSITE (American Board of Surgery In-training Exam) that every surgical resident takes every year, that is going to make your 14-hour days look like a vacation and when you take the qualifying and certifying exams for board certification, they won't be asking anatomy questions.

njbmd :)

njbmd said:
If giving yourself the label "gunner" gets it off for you then great but hit everything with vigor. There is a little test called ABSITE (American Board of Surgery In-training Exam) that every surgical resident takes every year, that is going to make your 14-hour days look like a vacation and when you take the qualifying and certifying exams for board certification, they won't be asking anatomy questions.

njbmd :)

haha. too bad there is no icon for a B**ch Slap. ;)

We've had tests every week since the semester started on Jan 3rd. My last one (for a month) is tomorrow and I am SUCH a slacker. Hope I'll pass this phys test. Oh well, either way I am going out tomorrow.

well every week i have a number of tests so like it or not i have to study more than 4 or 5 hours a day to cover most of my subjects.But why anatomy is more important than physio if someone want to go for surg??can somebody explain to me since i'm taking physio in my second year and now i'm halfway finishing my anatomy.

I hate my test schedule this week. Usually we have two tests a week. Last semester was much better because we had tests on every monday. Sigh...I have to learn 14 chapters out of immunology before my test this monday. So, I have to find a new way to study efficiently from last semester. I'm still looking...

I almost wish I had tests every week. I generally have tests twice, maybe three times a semester. Studying for them is totally insane and it means each test counts so much more. And next week is the first set for this term and thinking about it even freaks me out. I'd so much rather be out at a bar....or even having my teeth pulled or my appendix removed. :(

Psycho Doctor said:
I almost wish I had tests every week. I generally have tests twice, maybe three times a semester. Studying for them is totally insane and it means each test counts so much more. And next week is the first set for this term and thinking about it even freaks me out. I'd so much rather be out at a bar....or even having my teeth pulled or my appendix removed. :(

I personally think once a week is the way to go. I have tests 2 times a week this semester, and I don't go out at all.