gummybearpen

10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2007
Status
Dental Student
too late? or a good idea? anyone else done it? i would do it during the short summer break just for fun to learn another language (that i'm already somewhat familiar with) and possibly open a practice there. doesn't seem like very many people have gone this route...

sunset823

10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
too late? or a good idea? anyone else done it? i would do it during the short summer break just for fun to learn another language (that i'm already somewhat familiar with) and possibly open a practice there. doesn't seem like very many people have gone this route...
I'm hoping to study/do some kind of internship abroad next summer (after M1 year) because it'll be my last opportunity to do something fun and for myself. But, there are international rotations during 4th year, depending on your school. And I've heard of some people taking a year off from med school to do something like a Fulbright. Doors are definitely open, at least until you finish med school. Once you start residency, not so much.

Samus Aran

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2003
mushytown in rooville
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
did you find a program that you could attend during your free weeks in the summer? i think it would be a great experience and definitely something worthwhile to do especially if you're interested in international medicine. where are you thinking about going?

my school emphasizes international medicine so there are a lot of students that arrange one-three week programs in medically underserved countries. i haven't gotten the chance (or the money) to participate in any yet but i definitely would if a good opportunity ever arose. the students i've spoken with have all said it helped them gain a new perspective on the field and was a welcomed change to the monotony of the the first two years of med school.

sprinkibrio

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I wonder if it's as difficult to open a practice abroad as it is for people abroad to come here. Probably. Good luck with that :rolleyes: