Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

studying abroad during senior fall?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by es255305, Jun 20, 2008.

1. es255305

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So, I'm really excited to have been accepted into this study abroad program in Denmark. The only problem is that it spans late August-late December. I'm submitting my primary application next week, so I should still be applying pretty early, but is going out of the country for the fall semester going to hurt me since I'll lose the chance at interviewing during those months? I'm guessing med schools won't let me interview is August or do an over-the-phone interview?

2. Mdude

Mdude New Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am in a similar (but slightly different) situation. I think your best bet is to do this: when you get offered interviews, explain to the schools your situation, and set-up a 2-3 week block of time in January immediately upon your return to attend all interviews you received. I called a number of schools about my situation and they all said that would be fine. The only drawback is that there are more seats in the class available if you interviewed in Oct versus January, but I think if the study abroad program really excites you and you'd get a lot out of it, it's totally worth it to interview a little later in the season. Then again, this assumes that you are a competitive applicant (ie, if you are not sure if you'll be getting any interviews whatsoever, that might make the risk of delaying interviews a bit higher).

BTW- get ready, b/c everyone on this forum is going to try to either a. talk you out of going abroad, or b. tell you to wait and apply the following year. Personally I say go for it now.

3. Isis24

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Taking a semester abroad is something you won't have the opportunity to do ever again. If you're really excited about it, you should definitely go! This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

And you can certainly apply now for med school, but be prepared, because your chances are reduced (i don't know your "stats" either, so i'm speaking generally).

But anyway, applying for med is not once in a lifetime. IF you don't get in this year, it won't be the end of the world (although it will seem like it for some time), and you can apply again next year. There are a large handful of people (or a large tub-full) applying who are a few years older than the standard (me included). in the long run of your medical career, that one year won't make ANY difference.

Good luck!:luck:

4. es255305

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank Mdude!

I'll definitely call all the schools and explain my situation. I'm glad to hear that there are people out there with similiar situations. I'm a bit worried about there being less open spots in Jan. than Oct., but there's really nothing I can do about that. Do you know as a percentage by how much the amount of available seats shrinks between Oct and Jan?

Not going is out of the question be/c studying abroad means a lot to me, and I don't want to take a year off between college and med school unless I don't get accepted lol.

Good luck with your applications!

5. es255305

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks Isis!