Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

studying abroad in China

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by wingy, Jan 15, 2002.

1. wingy

wingy Member

Just wondering if anyone studied abroad in China and loved it? What university did you go to and did you only take language classes? Did you do any medical or health volunteering or internships while there?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ai

Ai Senior Member

I haven't studied there but I am currently taking classes at an Oriental medical school with a focus on TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine). I know that groups from our school go to China to study in Beijing, Shanghai and Nanjing. Those cities have teaching hospitals that provide training to foreign students. Everyone I know who has been there has absolutely loved it. When are you thinking of going and for how long?

4. wingy

wingy Member

I am planning to go the Fall semester next year. However in addition to the language courses I will be taking there, I also want to find some medical or health related internships or volunteering while I am there. I have asked my counselors, but they say it is too far away from Peking University.

5. amonkeybutt

amonkeybutt Senior Member

i know you said you want to find health-related volunteer opportunities, but those are hard to find (especially if you are only going to be there a short period of time). another idea that you may want to consider is teaching English (it is also rewarding and you will find plenty of opportunities to do so). just an idea ;)

6. Bruno316

Bruno316 Junior Member

i did a semester abroad in china, shanghai more specifically. it was through pitzer college and had a focus in traditional chinese medicine (1 credit) and courses in chinese (1.5), culture (1), and independent study (.5). i had an awesome experience, although the program has now changed and moved to beijing. so i cannot attest to the quality anymore.

7. rocknroll985

Banned

Pre-Pharmacy
    No, but I know some of my friends are willing to marry an asian girl for cash. Some say $100,000 to get married and come to the Americas to study M.S.