Studying abroad the summer before medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Decicco

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to medical school and want to take some study abroad classes in London (through a US institution) before matriculating in the fall. Do I need to worry about my grades here? If I failed the classes, would that be OK (not likely to happen, however)? I'm looking for a stress-free, semi-educational vacation, ha.

Thanks!

PS: I will already have graduated by this time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have been accepted to medical school and want to take some study abroad classes in London (through a US institution) before matriculating in the fall. Do I need to worry about my grades here? If I failed the classes, would that be OK? I'm looking for a stress-free, semi-educational vacation, ha.

Thanks!

Why not just go and take a... normal vacation?

Why not just go and take a... normal vacation?

Ha, good question. I just like to learn stuff and meet people, and this is my last chance to study abroad before medical school. The language classes I'm taking (not English, lol) will likely be the last chance I have to learn this new language too.

I know some people who have been talking about taking art classes, etc before medical school--this is the same idea I guess, but I would actually be getting college credit.. and graded.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ha, good question. I just like to learn stuff and meet people, and this is my last chance to study abroad before medical school. The language classes I'm taking will likely be the last chance I have to learn these new languages too.

Umm, they speak English in England...

Are you doing this through your undergrad institution, or one of these language schools? There are plenty of those that don't do grades...not sure why you would want to risk getting some bad grade, or why you would want to spend a ton of money to sit in a classroom in London...

Umm, they speak English in England...

Are you doing this through your undergrad institution, or one of these language schools? There are plenty of those that don't do grades...not sure why you would want to risk getting some bad grade, or why you would want to spend a ton of money to sit in a classroom in London...

They teach other languages in England beside English, lol. It is through an undergraduate institution. So, there is a risk in getting a bad grade? Even after graduating and getting accepted, medical schools still are concerned about this stuff?

They teach other languages in England beside English, lol. It is through an undergraduate institution. So, there is a risk in getting a bad grade? Even after graduating and getting accepted, medical schools still are concerned about this stuff?

Well, I think that you would have to forward the transcript, so there is some risk.

Most of these study abroad programs are easy on the grading, but if what you are looking for is a cultural / language immersion program, there are better ways to go about it that don't involve getting college credit and grades...

Also, what language? You would be much better off taking classes in the country with native speakers...like learning Italian in Italy...rather than taking Spanish in London...also, London is hellishly expensive for food, lodging, etc...

Google it and you will find these lang schools everywhere...

One final thought - you can't really learn a language in a one or two month course...nothing that will stick with you.

I just like to learn stuff and meet people, and this is my last chance to study abroad before medical school. The language classes I'm taking (not English, lol) will likely be the last chance I have to learn this new language too.

who said you need to "study" abroad? "studying" is kind of a hindrance when you're abroad anyway, since there are much more exciting and interesting ways to spend your time. why not just go there and live/work amongst the locals? that's the best way to learn a language.

how is this THE LAST chance to learn a language? is the language going extinct?

it sounds like you're worried you won't have the opportunity to travel once school starts. not the case. i personally know med students that have traveled during the summer and doctors in mid-career who travel each year.

i'm not saying don't do it; you should go abroad! just weigh your options and don't feel like this is your only chance to go.

Med schools start pretty early in August. Are you going to finish your program in time to move, find an apartment and get your bearings?

Study abroad = tuition, which is a particular waste of money if you don't need the classes. You've got the next 4 years to do something fully-educational, so rather than spending your last vacation doing something semi-educational why not do something...fun?

That was said a bit tongue in cheek, you'd obviously have an awesome time "studying" abroad, but why not backpack instead? I spent 2 months backpacking europe last summer and had the time of my life (doing 2 months in south america before medical school). It just seems dumb to pay for classes you don't need and that you don't particularly want to do well in ("is it really bad if i fail them?"). Take the summer off, take yourself out of your comfort zone, travel, but for heavens sake man don't take classes. Shoot me a PM if you want some travel advice ;).

When I get into medical school, the summer before, I'm going to eat great food, watch lots of TV, play good video games, sleep a lot, read fun books, hang out with my crew, hang out with my parents, and do NOTHING productive.