studying abroad (undergrad)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rewindthemovie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I was wondering how much studying abroad for a year would get in the way. I don't think I'd be able to do it until my junior year, and I know how important that year is. Just wondering if any of you had done it before and are now in med shcool, or know anybody that has done it.

ps: i'd be in madrid, spain on slu's campus there

Members don't see this ad.

Personally I haven't done it, but I do know few people who got into U of A med school after completing a study abroad program.
The only minus is you'll have to miss a year out of school. And depending how you'll look at it, it's not much of a minus after all, since you were doing productive school work in foreign country anyway, such as immersing yourself into new culture and language. If you'll know how to present it right, that actually can become a great advantage during an interview, since that will set you aside from other prospective students.
Anyways, doing a study abroad for the whole year is one-of-a-kind experience, and trust me, DO IT, if you have this opportunity. After undergrad school, chances of visiting foreign countries as a student would largely diminish.
I haven't met a single student yet who regretted going through a study abroad problem!
I hope my little message was a bit of a help and encouragement to you...
Good luck!

Crazy Cozak

rewindthemovie said:
So, I was wondering how much studying abroad for a year would get in the way. I don't think I'd be able to do it until my junior year, and I know how important that year is. Just wondering if any of you had done it before and are now in med shcool, or know anybody that has done it.

ps: i'd be in madrid, spain on slu's campus there

I studied abroad for one semester in my junior year and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's really a matter of your individual schedule in terms of how screwed you're going to be when you come back. I decided to take a year off after school, which has been a GREAT decision so far. I'd say that your main concern should be finishing the courses you need for the MCAT before you go abroad (ie: Orgo(s), both semesters of Physics, gen chem). If you can do that, great- go away for the year, come back, and take the August MCAT. (Doing this, you could even apply during your senior fall and not have to take a year off.) That worked well for me, except for the fact that I hadn't taken the second half of physics... that was interesting, but I took a prep course and was fine. Often, people save some of their "premed" courses for their senior and take the MCAT senior spring. That would work fine too, but I imagine you want to enjoy the end of your college experience!

Bottom line: you probably won't have a chance to live in Madrid again. Taking premed courses isn't all there is to college, and taking a year off gives you lots to talk about on your interviews ;) Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of pre-meds study abroad for the Summer.

Heck, I did.

CrazyCozak said:
Personally I haven't done it, but I do know few people who got into U of A med school after completing a study abroad program.
The only minus is you'll have to miss a year out of school. And depending how you'll look at it, it's not much of a minus after all, since you were doing productive school work in foreign country anyway, such as immersing yourself into new culture and language. If you'll know how to present it right, that actually can become a great advantage during an interview, since that will set you aside from other prospective students.
Anyways, doing a study abroad for the whole year is one-of-a-kind experience, and trust me, DO IT, if you have this opportunity. After undergrad school, chances of visiting foreign countries as a student would largely diminish.
I haven't met a single student yet who regretted going through a study abroad problem!
I hope my little message was a bit of a help and encouragement to you...
Good luck!

Crazy Cozak

I did it for a short term in my jr year
It was very rewarding and relaxing for me
I also used that like a lime twist in my essay: im not ur avg premed im crazier with a lust for English architecture and literature..so lusty that I went over for it!
I am also hopeful they will want to discuss that semester because I am so enthusatic about it..sad?wanna discuss it??? Lol ! :love:

DieselPetrolGrl said:
I did it for a short term in my jr year
It was very rewarding and relaxing for me
I also used that like a lime twist in my essay: im not ur avg premed im crazier with a lust for English architecture and literature..so lusty that I went over for it!
I am also hopeful they will want to discuss that semester because I am so enthusatic about it..sad?wanna discuss it??? Lol ! :love:

Hey girl! I wrote you a PM :) check it! :)

if you go to spain you should visit 1. ronda (the area is scenic and the weather is cool; also the toy store on their main street has the most wonderful flying toys. i havent seen anything like it except in movies. i wish i had bought one but i didnt bring my money with me on that particular trip. you have to go and see what im talking about. i would go back to spain just to buy one of them.) 2. the famous cathedral in cordoba; it is beautiful

if i had to do it over again i would have stayed in rhonda. besides madrid was the target of a terrorist attack recently.

CrazyCozak said:
Hey girl! I wrote you a PM :) check it! :)
i did and now i am jacking that cati in your av..wwwrrrummm
::: half way down her ship's plank @ 85mph ::::::

DieselPetrolGrl said:
i did and now i am jacking that cati in your av..wwwrrrummm
::: half way down her ship's plank @ 85mph ::::::

Hey Hey!! :)
Don't jack anything! Or I am gonna have to put copyright on that avi! :D