Studying Abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jankanator

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on studying abroad in the spring. It's an internship program where I'll take two classes and work in a lab or hospital. Is there anyone out there who has studied abroad and done med school. Most pre-meds I know feel there is not enough time and that it will just make everything more stressful. I'd appreciate any success stories.

Members don't see this ad.

Not enough time? ABSOLUTELY NOT! Study Abroad excursions have been given me invaluable experiences. Last summer, I did the part of my university's humanities requirements in the rainforest of brazil.

I hate the idea that some people think of premeds, that we are in a hurry or something. What are you in a hurry for? I, for example, have taken 12-16 credits a semester (mind you i did not come to college with any AP credits or anything either) and can graduate in 3.5 years (why? because of the study abroad trip that I did in the summer!).

However, I've decided to extend that period another year and get another degree and study abroad in greece... in fact, i'm leaving sept 10th, and i'm going for an academic year. I'll be studying the language, medical ethics, economics, and basically be having a good time.

In case you're wondering, i'm taking the mcat this august and i'm going to apply from abroad next year.

Although, I readily admit a study abroad for an academic year is extreme, with regards to shorter programs (i.e. 6 weeks in the summer, or even semester trips), you'll NEVER have those experiences again. DO IT!

They are so much fun. More importantly, you learn so much. They're GREAT for your resume too.... i'm sure my medical related studies in a country like greece will make my application unique... for example

good luck :)

leon

Go for it!

You probably won't have another chance to spend this much time overseas again for a long time. I agree with kreno -- you'll have some invaluable experiences with your trip, regardless of where you go. I would try to be certain that your program is well-organized and that your credits will be accepted by your school.

I lived in Germany for a time and studied at Cambridge University in the UK... and I had some amazing experiences that provided fabulous topics for discussion during my interviews. No matter what you do abroad, you'll have gained something unique from your experiences.

Just one caveat... kreno wrote about applying to med schools from overseas... while this is possible, this is a complicated process. Scheduling interviews can be difficult (and frustrating if a school accepts on a rolling basis) and the mail can be slow and/or unreliable. I'd recommend applying from the US if your plans allow it.

Go for it -

Doepug
MS II, Johns Hopkins

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely go abroad! I go to a liberal arts college and about half the pre-meds i knew took a semester off to go abroad. Many of them did not spend that semester doing anything science related either. I myself went abroad and decided to take a year off and work before applying. However, i know plenty of people who went abroad and went directly into med school without any time off. From what my friends have told me it is a great topic of conversation and helps set you apart. however, doepeg has a good point...it's not easy to apply while abroad so make sure you're here when you start that process.

BTW Jankanator what year are you? Are you planning on applying to med school once you get back from abroad? I know that it can be rather hectic if you are going to be applying June of that spring that you come back from abroad. just make sure you budget your time well and have everything ready before you leave.

thanks so far for the responses. to answer a previous question, when i go abroad in the spring it will only be my sophomore year, so i'll be back in the US for junior and senior year and mcats and all the joys of applying.

hey,

i was in ecuador all last school year, i also applied to med school and did not get in. it was a real pain in the ass. i did get a couple of interviews and that just cost way to much.

besides that, it was my fifth year of college and if i could do it again, i would not have applied to school last year, just too much stress with the whole living abroad thing.

i personally think that i should almost be a requirement for poeple in the U.S. to go abroad, it is a real eye opener and personally has really added a perspective to my life that i never had before, it was difficult but absolutely wonderful at the same time, i grew and learned a lot.

i did get to volunteer a bit in some hospitals too, and so did some of my classmates. one girl that was volunteering at this maturnity hospital got to scrub-in on a c-section, it was pretty cool to see, so, depending where you are at, you can get a pretty intense volunteer experience if you look hard enough, or if that is what you want...

good luck! :D