Studying advice in residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trisphorin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, medicine intern here need some advice on step 3 studying and in-serivce exam. I did not do as well as I thought for in-service and was wondering if its logical and better to study for both in-service/step 3 at the same time with MSKAP or get the ABIM uworld qbank? I am taking step 3 around Jan/Feb of 2018.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, medicine intern here need some advice on step 3 studying and in-serivce exam. I did not do as well as I thought for in-service and was wondering if its logical and better to study for both in-service/step 3 at the same time with MSKAP or get the ABIM uworld qbank? I am taking step 3 around Jan/Feb of 2018.

In my opinion it's too early in training for you to be worrying about ABIM. Also it's and entirely different exam than the step 3. Focus your efforts on passing step 3. I'd recommend uworld qbank. I think that's all you need. Then I'd start reading mksap and doing questions. Force yourself to do a little bit each week, don't wait till third year. I'd recommend completion chapters while on that rotation. For example when on renal rotation I'd finish the renal section. That way when your a third year you're not running through it first pass. Also unlike the step 3 which is mostly information that is clinically insignificant you'll find that MKSAP is helpful in daily practice. Good luck!