Studying ahead of time before school starts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be starting in an epidemiology program in the spring. I'll have a lot of free time between now and then. I want to use some of that time to get a head start. Could you direct me to some epidemiology resources? TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

You could take a break and relax.

But if you really wanted to get a jump, I suppose you can read the Gordis or Rothman texts.....or even better find out what book they use in your school's intro to epi class and read that.

Is Gordis a book used in actual MPH epi classes?! We did that in medical school...
Another book that I saw in the library (Im no expert in MPH, as Im only just applying now after getting my MD) - was the Lange series, dont know the author though - is that the Rothman one?

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like many SPH programs consider the Gordis text to be the golden standard for intro to epi textbooks. It's clear, concise, and illustrated with useful images and examples.

The Rothman text is a little more dense with theory and derivation of the concepts. I think the two books complement each other very well.

These are the texts used at Michigan's intro to epi courses.

At Emory they use

Kleinbaum DG. ActivEpi 2.0, Version 3.0 (CD-ROM). Springer-Verlag Inc., New York, 2008
Gordis L. Epidemiology 4th Ed., WB Sounders Philadelphia 2008
Labs