studying bio section with AP CLIFF and KAPLAN BB need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddsshin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,
I am studying bio section using ap cliff and kaplan bb. I just started and I am learning like proteins and cellular respiration. My question is how detail do I have to know in terms of proteins? Do I have to know names and characteristics of all 20 AA????? also, for glycolysis and cellular respiration, and photosynthesis, how detail should I know???????
These review books are good, but not very detailed. Should I go over textbook????? need advice thanks@!

Members don't see this ad.

1) My question is how detail do I have to know in terms of proteins?
well know more than what it is.. try to learn them thru comparing them to the other 3 macromolecules and knowing the differences.

2) Do I have to know names and characteristics of all 20 AA?????
No. just know the classes that they can exist as charged molecules, acids/bases, hydrophillic/phobic and what characteristics give them this (ie glycine has an -H R group which makes it achiral)

3)also, for glycolysis and cellular respiration, and photosynthesis, how detail should I know???????
-know it! its on the test. in terms of detail.. know what each does and whats the point (ie cyclic vs noncyclic photosynthesis), what gets reduced/oxidized, where is atp made vs cleaved. no one cares what isocitrate is (fine... maybe a biochemist)

Do yourself a favor and buy an old edition of Campbell's Biology Textbook. they are easy to find at all book sites (amazon, ebay). READ IT AND OUTLINE THE TEXT. also there are self-quiz questions at the end of each chapter

hi,
I am studying bio section using ap cliff and kaplan bb. I just started and I am learning like proteins and cellular respiration. My question is how detail do I have to know in terms of proteins? Do I have to know names and characteristics of all 20 AA????? also, for glycolysis and cellular respiration, and photosynthesis, how detail should I know???????
These review books are good, but not very detailed. Should I go over textbook????? need advice thanks@!

Details don't appear on teh actual exam. It's all basics.

No memorizing 20 AA residues, not even basic/acidic. That's biochem. This is general biology.

For glycolysis, respiration, and photosynthesis, again know the basics. What goes in, what comes out, and MAJOR reactants.

Consult the textbook only for certain topics. Namely invertebrate anatomy, and plant crap. All others you should rely on board review books first.

Just use ur old textbook, or buy the Campbel and reece 8th edition....Amazing book:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got myself a copy of Columbia Review High Yield Biology because I heard great things. ISBN 068318069X got it for less than $30 shipped used, since they no longer print out updated editions. Its very concise and gets to the point, supplemented with AP Cliffs and Destroyer I can picture one getting an 19 or higher easily on the Bio section. Heard great things about it so I bought it, and it is written by a Stephen Bresnick who is a MD, DDS (kind of like the Orgoman himself heh). I will report back on how well it worked when D-day comes to me in 14 days.

for the process of glycolysis and the krebs cycle etc. should we memorize all of the steps and the intermediate products?