Studying during 4th year -- What's going on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bombas238

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Never thought I’d post something like this, but I just took yet another shelf exam after about zero studying. I knew many of the answers based on prior knowledge and clinical/hospital experiences + discussions, so I am certain I’ve passed just fine, but part of me is upset in thinking that I could’ve really aced it if I had just taken the time to study. I have always passed everything in med school on my first try without any scares and I even got honors in several early clerkships, but as time goes on I am seriously starting to worry about my study skills and discipline going flying out the window.

I will sit down, get maybe 10 questions into the MKSAP, and proceed to completely lose interest in the task. I’ve tried forcing myself to keep going, drinking coffee, drinking energy drinks, setting a time, treating it like a job, putting my computer away, turning off my phone, taking a mini-vacation, sharing a study room with a motivated person, and changing the scenery with varying degrees of success, but in the end I usually get very little done.

Does anyone else have this problem? I am a 4th year now and will be taking the STEP 2 at the end of July. I am actually quite mortified that I will not be able to get a good grade which I really need because I only made a 210 on STEP 1. I can get work done in the hospital and clinic without issue… it’s the task of sitting down with reading material in front of me that kills me. Could I have some manner of adult ADD? Am I just severely burnt out after all this time? I hardly believe I could be the only one who has gone through this.

Ideas or suggestion? Like, for real?

Members don't see this ad.

Never thought I’d post something like this, but I just took yet another shelf exam after about zero studying. I knew many of the answers based on prior knowledge and clinical/hospital experiences + discussions, so I am certain I’ve passed just fine, but part of me is upset in thinking that I could’ve really aced it if I had just taken the time to study. I have always passed everything in med school on my first try without any scares and I even got honors in several early clerkships, but as time goes on I am seriously starting to worry about my study skills and discipline going flying out the window.

I will sit down, get maybe 10 questions into the MKSAP, and proceed to completely lose interest in the task. I’ve tried forcing myself to keep going, drinking coffee, drinking energy drinks, setting a time, treating it like a job, putting my computer away, turning off my phone, taking a mini-vacation, sharing a study room with a motivated person, and changing the scenery with varying degrees of success, but in the end I usually get very little done.

Does anyone else have this problem? I am a 4th year now and will be taking the STEP 2 at the end of July. I am actually quite mortified that I will not be able to get a good grade which I really need because I only made a 210 on STEP 1. I can get work done in the hospital and clinic without issue… it’s the task of sitting down with reading material in front of me that kills me. Could I have some manner of adult ADD? Am I just severely burnt out after all this time? I hardly believe I could be the only one who has gone through this.

Ideas or suggestion? Like, for real?

shelf exams are hard to study for because im tired by the end of the day. im hoping that studying for step 2 is easier because ill have dedicated time.

to illustrate how i relate to you -- i have pretest ob gyn open sitting under my left elbow as i type this -- ive not accomplished my goal number of questions this evening.

oh god, I relate to this SO BADLY

It's hard to imagine how dedicated and focused I was every day during the 1st two years of school. Now it's like a miracle to read a hour a day :eek: