studying during internship and residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOk1ng

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hii

whats the best way to study during residency?

especially pathophysio. how much in detail is necessary to know?

I know that we should read on pts we see.

But has anybody made schedule to study certain topics for each day?

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hii

whats the best way to study during residency?

especially pathophysio. how much in detail is necessary to know?

I know that we should read on pts we see.

But has anybody made schedule to study certain topics for each day?

thank you

Let me ask one simply question before I answer: Are you interested in having a life outside of the hospital. This is a yes or no question. I'm also not being condescending in the least, I promise. Serious question.

My rule for these first few months is survival. I do no reading at home before or after work... depending on how I feel this works out, I may keep it up, with saving my reading and learning for when I have downtime at work.

My program gives us access to the literature. When typing up the assessment and plan, all I have to do is take 3 minutes to check up on the most current treatment recommendations and such, and I'll be able to back it up. That's how I learn.

Yes, you may get pimped on alpha-2 receptors and NF-KB on rounds. Either you know it or you don't. Frankly, who cares?

Members don't see this ad :)
Times I read during internship:
1. Reading uptodate for management issues with my own patients.
2. For morning report
3. Articles assigned for me to present by the attending.

Now that I'm on my second year of residency, I have a lot more time. I've decided that for each patient, I'd take time to read either the latest guidelines or at least uptodate for at least one of their diseases. For my weekly outpatient clinic, I get to read 1 topic for 50% of my patients. I also have a "guideline a week" that I'm trying to read through during down times in the hospital (which to be honest I haven't finished reading any).

I've also been compiling a list of topics that I know I should learn more about.

So to answer your question - during internship, I was only able to read as much as was absolutely necessary to do my job well. Otherwise, I did something enjoyable and rested when I got home.

Let me ask one simply question before I answer: Are you interested in having a life outside of the hospital. This is a yes or no question. I'm also not being condescending in the least, I promise. Serious question.

BIG YES.

in that case, how to make efficient use of time in hospital ?

BIG YES.

in that case, how to make efficient use of time in hospital ?
I agree w/ above. Recently finished my residency training. Time was scarce/precious and so I didn't read much outside of work even though I very much tried to. Depending on our senior residents and attendings, you should get enough reading material (articles, PPt's) to read through when you have down time. As a senior resident, I would do more subject based reading. But the best is reading about your patients case as this will stick the best in your memory.